Community pigeon problem

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Community pigeon problem

Postby fyfin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:28 pm

I am president of a community of 31 apartments and we mostly live in peace and harmony but there's always the exception of course and in our case it is an absent owner who lives somewhere close by. He is a Spanish gypsy and the last time I came face to face with him (and his face was inches from mine) he was threatening me because I wouldn't give him access to the electricity room so he could connect illegally to the main supply. He waved the escritura which he alleged gave him the right to whatever he wanted. Anyway he didn't succeed.

No-one has lived in the apartment for the past 2 years at least but I noticed the electric meter is actually in use albeit not much being consumed which is odd as he's been cut off before. Also he does tend to visit now and again but there's no furniture or indeed water connected so God knows what he visits for.

The odd thing is that he leaves a persiana open (1/4 way) so that pigeons can get in and as he has 2 persianas side by side they get in behind the other one and lay eggs , hatch chicks and make one almighty mess below. I've had numerous complaints from owners and neighbours but according to our administrator there's nothing we can do. One neighbour took the law into his own hands and used a ladder to permanently disable the persiana that was open (not at my request or with my knowledge but secretly pleased of course).

However, word must have reached our gypsy friend because a week or so later he came along, looked at the perisana, scratched his head a bit and went inside and raised the other one a 1/4 or so. The pigeons thought this is great we can now move into the other side and here we are again with the exact same problem. Apparently the town hall can do nothing nor the police as he is not breaking any law by leaving a persiana open and our administrator seems powerless as well, Incidentally this guy has never paid any community fees and we've been taking him to court for the last 6 years but it never seems to get there. One of the neighbours is threatening to go up with a ladder and block the opening but these are not the sort of people you upset. So any ideas?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Community pigeon problem

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:12 am

I would say pick your timing and sort it amongst yourselves. What are the chances of him turning up and catching you? You could have a lookout on hand.
You have tried to sort this through the correct channels and now you have no option but to sort it yourselves.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:22 am

That's the thinking amongst the others. Very obvious to surrounding houses though. Tried the locksmith route but he double locked it - wondered why as empty
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Maybe a report to the local constabulary that "foreign looking" men have been seen coming and going from the property ? They might use the big red key to open the door and search the property.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Had an idea about smelling cannabis and saying electricity is being used. Might have same effect

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:01 pm

fyfin wrote:Had an idea about smelling cannabis and saying electricity is being used. Might have same effect
:thumbup: :thumbup:

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Assuming that your community is legal, it will come under the "Ley 49/ 1960 Ley sobre Propiedad Horizontal"
If he has not paid community fees, then I would suggest that your administrator opens court proceedings to obtain payment. If he fails to pay ,the court can order that the property is sold to effect payment.
This process used to take ages, but there is now a faster process, of which your administrator should be aware.
Hardworking resident !!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:21 pm

I do despair at how difficult it seems to get action against defaulters in Spain. I thought there was a faster way but it seems as we had already started court action about 6 years ago we have to stick with it. Unbelievable length of time to get rid of an undesirable owner. I will see the administrators again and see if there is anything at all we can do but they seem to think not.