Replacement headlamps. Hyundai Tucson.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Replacement headlamps. Hyundai Tucson.

Postby suzyq » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:59 pm

I have a 2005 Hyundai Tucson. The headlamps are tarnished and I have had them polished a couple of times but this seems last about a year before they need 're doing. I am considering replacing them. I am based Mijas Costa so any recommendations for price , supply ,fitting would be welcome. They passed the ITV last week but look awful. Thanks.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Replacement headlamps. Hyundai Tucson.

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi suzyq,
"They passed the ITV last week but look awful. ".........guessing some light is getting through......... 8)

As a Guide price.......looked on a site I use for parts...........as you didn't spec engine model I just picked one.

http://www.mister-auto.com/

Then you would have cost of fitting .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 pm

I was surprised at ITV , main problem is a slight crack in plastic on one lamp causing condensation at times. ITV carried out when warm . The car is 2 litre petrol auto 2 wheel drive.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi suzyq,

The link I posted in my first post ........with mods .......... :oops:

http://www.mister-auto.es/es/faros-dela ... _g259.html

Have a look on eBay.............can use the Part number from above site............. :idea:

Part Number .........Referencias de los fabricantes (números OEM)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Ebay a good place to look, but be careful - majority of car parts listed there are used (reclaimed). Each ad should state whether new or used clearly.
Mister Auto very good. I use them often. They are owned by PSA (Peugeot Citroen).
Try also a local large Motor Factor.
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

My wife’s Mitsubishi 4x4 is 17 years old and headlights are always a problem. I polished them up in about 15 minutes this afternoon with some decent compound on a rotary fitting on the end of my power drill. I do this every year. They really should not need replacing.

Sid

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:41 pm

I think the real problem is the little crack that has allowed moisture into the fitting - in summer it is fine but condensation in winter is the problem . I wonder if I could dry it or and seal it somehow ?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:37 pm

If a very fine (hairline) crack, then it is tempting to run some superglue into it. Don't. Superglue will matt the headlight casing, which is acrylic/polycarbonate, and you'll be lucky to ever polish it out. Instead, try a clear sovlent adhesive like Clear Bostik or Uhu, rubbed into the crack. Clean off any surplus with alcohol or petrol, nothing stronger.

If the surface of acrylic headlights goes yellow or matt, apply an acrylic polish, vigorously buffed in. Turtle Wax do a Headlight Restorer, and the white cream compound in it is quite good. Mer car polish achieves the same. Brasso also lilely to be successful. I read that certain (abrasive) brands of toothpaste also work.

The yellowing and matting of acrylic headlights is caused by strong UV from the sun - the problem is virtually unknown in northern Europe. Bromine compounds in the plastic rise to the surface and produce the yellow-brown tinge, and the surface loses its shiny finish. A really good, finely abrasive, polish will remove this surface damage; what is underneath should be ok.
Chris

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 am

Many thanks for responses . Much appreciated