Re registering camper van

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Inglis1
Tourist

Re registering camper van

Postby Inglis1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:57 am

My wife & I are planning to move to Spain soon.We hope as part of that to re register our 1989 lhd diesel Hymer camper. Has anyone done this or know if it is possible please? We believe it can be expensive and emissions may be a problem. Inglis Wightman Mr.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Re registering camper van

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Welcome to the forum.
When I moved to Spain nearly 14 years ago I re registered my LHD motorhome home onto Spanish plates.
Used a gestor to do all the necessary paperwork etc.Total cost was about €1000.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Welcome, If all the lights and speedo are fit for Spanish driving it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Is it an EU model built for the EU?

Inglis1
Tourist

Postby Inglis1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks for the replies this sounds encouraging. Our camper was built in Germany so hopefully should be fine for the EU its all geared to driving on the left.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:46 pm

Make sure you have the certificate of conformity from the manufacturer ... if you havent got it already this will be an additional small cost. If you cant get one, and from 1989 you may find it diffiult, then you will probably have to have a Ficha Tecnica done by a certified engineer here in spain before you present the vehicle for re-registration. Suggest you do the importing through a local, english speaking (depending on your level of Spanish!), reputable and preferably recommended Gestor, who will do all the necessary paperwork and chasing about for admin etc at a reasonable fee. Considering its age the actual importation cost done on value/age should be minimal, but you will have to pay for the ITV inspection, any niggles they come up with, local tax (IBI), new number plates, etc etc etc
Welcome to the forum!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Gasman wrote:Make sure you have the certificate of conformity from the manufacturer ... if you havent got it already this will be an additional small cost. If you cant get one, and from 1989 you may find it diffiult, then you will probably have to have a Ficha Tecnica done by a certified engineer here in spain before you present the vehicle for re-registration.
My motorhome, a CI Mizar, made in Italy didn't have a certificate of conformity. Not sure whether such things existed for motorhomes when mine or the OP motorhome was built.
I had to have a Ficha Tecnica done by a certified engineer here but it was all included in the €1000 cost.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi Inglis1,
Welcome to The Forum............ :D
It would be useful if you put your Spanish Location(you can have Dual locations) in your Profile as you will get more specific answers to questions.

"emissions may be a problem"..........if it passes in UK then it will not be a problem with ITV out in Spain.

As regular Members will confirm ..... one wonders how some of the locals pass the ITV as you follow them down the A-7 getting your daily dose of NOx.............. :twisted:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Inglis1
Tourist

Postby Inglis1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks for the reply it sounds as though this should be possible. Re location one is Guildford Surrey, in Spain its unknown though hopefully accessible to Malaga which we love.