Linea Direct Claim

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Parilla
Resident

Linea Direct Claim

Postby Parilla » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 am

Some ratbag has just whacked in my front and rear passenger doors while parked in a meter bay in town.

Linea Direct say they will send someone to appraise the damage and set an amount limit for the cost of repairs. I then have to pay the garage after the work has been done, and reclaim the amount from them (LD).

I've never had to make a claim in Spain before, and this seems to me a very odd way of going about it. Is it the norm ?

Parilla

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Linea Direct Claim

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 am

If the repair is done at a garage agreed with LD, all you will have to pay the garage yourself (after the repair is done satisfactorily) is the Excess on your policy, then they will release the repaired car to you. The balance will be paid to the repairer by LD, and is not your responsibility.

LD normally make claims and repairs a very simple and straightforward process, and always helpful on the phone (English at 902 325 325).
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 am

Not from my experience. They usually tell you to take it to one of their authorised repairers who sort it out with LD. When you pick up the car all you pay is any excess that applies.

Sid

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 am

I've only had one claim with Linea Directa and it could not have been simpler. I did not even fill in a claim form. All done by phone. I was comprehensive at the time. The car was taken to a Nissan garage for assessment then went in for repair. Courtesy car provided though this was not in my policy. I paid the excess when the car was ready and that was it.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Same here.
Recently, My son’s car was hit three times in as many months. Each time the same, take it to their recommended garage, they take photos and send them to LD , who then call a week or so later to authorise the work. We have never had to pay any excess as it was always the other drivers fault.
I remember many years ago in the UK, I had to pay for the work and was reimbursed by my insurance company. It might have been because at the point of taking in in to be done that the other driver still hadn’t claimed responsibility but in the end I was paid back.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Very odd, as I have an email from LD saying the claim will be settled exactly as I stated in my original post. I can only assume the garage I thought of taking it to is not an "authorised repairer" though I was not aware such a category existed. When I first telephoned LD, the bloke said the repairer was my choice, there was no mention of an authorised list. Actually, the guy I spoke to was probably the least impressive LD employee I have spoken to over the years, in fact he seemed a bit of a drip. I think I need to call them.

Parilla

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:37 pm

I would suggest giving them a call quoting the posts on this thread and see if they will allow you to take it to the one of their agreed garages in order to speed things up

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Cheers Mark. I'm going to do that first thing tomorrow. And thanks everyone else for the info.

Parilla

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 pm

On each occasion that I have been involved in a repair claim with LD (and I am in the middle of one right now), they have asked whether I have a preference for who will carry out the repair. In the past, I have asked them for a recommended/appointed repairer, and gone along with that. However, their last repairer (in Velez Malaga) proved a disaster, fouling up both the repair itself, as well as the charging and paperwork. That was several years ago.

This time, when asked the question "Do you have a preferred repairer?", I gave the name of a very local workshop. We don't know them, came the reply, but let me check . . . Yes, no problem there . . . an engineer-assessor will be there first thing in the morning.

My local workshop confirms LD's liaison with them has been speedy and professional.
Chris