Online passport renewal

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Online passport renewal

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Just been looking at the passport office website and it seems you can now upload a photo you take yourself and apply for the new passport online. Just wondered if anyone has done this? Looks a lot simpler than having to get photos taken and sending in all the forms although your old passport still needs to be sent (and it's still expensive :thumbdown: ).

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Online passport renewal

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:27 pm

We will allow you to test out the new system on our behalves. :wave:
My wife's passport needs renewing next year so it will be of interest to see how you get on.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Daughter just did this. Had to have new photos but all paperwork checked online. Passport back in 4 days.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:14 pm

UK to UK though

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Presumably the system is the same from here Costakid? It seems that it will take longer though as they say about 4 weeks on the website. It would be good to just do the photo ourselves. It tells you exactly what is required and how to do it, then they crop it once received. I shall probably have a go in the new year and will report back!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm

My daughter had hers done at a photography shop as she wanted them to be 100% correct. They had a system linked to the passport office which checked and verified them as ok. The rest was plain sailing.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 pm

I didn't know you could upload photos. We only recently renewed and I didn't see any option to do that. Admittedly everything including payment was done online though. We had to send off the old passports as well with the printed form / receipt for payment along with 2 photos each.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:30 pm

Not sure if you can upload photos onto the passport office site. As I said my daughter did everything online but had the pics taken at a proper photo shop. They then checked them on the passport office website as they have an agreement with then. She then had passport in 4 days.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 pm

I did mine on line about 2 months ago. Went to local photography shop ( in Scotland ) got a digital photo sent to me via email. Completed the form attached photo and Bobs your uncle :-) Passport arrived in Spain PDQ :-)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 am

It is presumably brand new as when you go through the questions online to renew your passport there is a then a page:

"Do you want to try the new service?

You’ll need to upload a digital photo as part of your application. You won’t need to post 2 printed photos.

We’ll show you how to take and upload your photo."

It then goes on to a video and full instructions on how to take your photo on your phone or tablet and then upload it to them. You still need to send back your old passport but they will deal with everything else online .... or so it says ..... this I shall be trying out in the new year! It may just be for overseas residents as you have to go through a series of questions first to get to that page.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/fil ... as-service

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 am

I did this to renew my UK Rail Card and it worked a charm, the new card arrived by post to Spain in 5 days. I used a photo from my library on my computer, it is a very good system. I would think it would only work for renewals tho' as they must have to know the photo is you!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 am

Damn, I never saw that when I did ours, I just went through to see how it worked. I guess you still have to post your old passport though or do they just tell you to destroy it.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Well I have just done mine. I used an old passport photograph and uploaded it to the computer. I have just paid and now have to send off my old passport to them.

It was all very straight forward.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:53 pm

I renewed recently (in the UK) totally online except for sending the old passport back to their office in Peterborough by snailmail.
I got my son to take a digital image and uploaded that on their website.
Very good service, took just over a week from start to finish. Cost £72.50

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:40 am

White Horse wrote: Very good service, took just over a week from start to finish. Cost £72.50
102.86 GBP from here :crazy: . Why the basic cost is 83 pounds rather than the UK fee I don't know as renewal looks identical.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Does it tell you the sort of photo you need to upload.ie can you just take one of yourself with your smartphone aslong as it has a white back drop etc and they crop down to size etc?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 pm

costakid wrote:Not sure if you can upload photos onto the passport office site. As I said my daughter did everything online but had the pics taken at a proper photo shop. They then checked them on the passport office website as they have an agreement with then. She then had passport in 4 days.
Yes you can, I did it with a digital photo obtained from a photographers shop, sent it to me by email attachment then I forwarded to my passport application, this new method is absolutely stunningly easy !!

Hmpassportservice.gov.uk

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 pm

I did mine too last year, Painless process, did everything online and got the new one in less than 2 weeks. Even got a text message or email advising me to expect it that day.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:13 am

elusive wrote:Does it tell you the sort of photo you need to upload.ie can you just take one of yourself with your smartphone as long as it has a white back drop etc and they crop down to size etc?
Yes you can take it on your phone and upload it. They will crop it as necessary. There are full instructions and a video on their website.

If you follow my link in my earlier post and answer the questions you'll get to the option of using the new system, and then it will show in detail how to do the photos including the lighting and what is or isn't acceptable.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks. Dont need to renew till this time next year at the earliest.but certainly seems easier than when family used the old system last year.