Jaipur

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Manchesteral
Resident

Jaipur

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Anyone been to Jaipur, (recently) if so how was it ??

gus
Resident

Re: Jaipur

Postby gus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Jaipur the city/region or an Indian restaurant? If the latter, where?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Jaipur, the Indian Capital city of Rajasthan.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:22 pm

The restaurant in Milton Keynes is good.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:46 pm

The one in Nerja isn't bad, but not as good as Taj Mahal in Torre del Mar or Puente Don Manuel.

I think this thread could run for a little while yet . . . :think:
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 pm

If you mean the one in Nerja, yes I go there frequently and it’s good.

Sid

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:31 am

I think the good ol ops have been at the xmas pudding!!!
Sorry but I haven't been there but would love to go. Perhaps when my health improves and SWMBO agrees then we'll get there.
I presume you have seen 'The Real Marigold Hotel' episode?
I don't know if 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' was shot in Jaipur.
Are you perhaps considering retiring there?
Graham

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:23 pm

My pal has been there for a while and is raving about it he, like me is a lover of Indian cuisine, I was thinking I might spend a month or two there in the spring !!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:06 pm

The one in Nerja is excellent, one of the best Indian restaurants n the area. Along with Buddha house our favourites.

Taj Mahal in Torre......... You're having a laugh.......

Jaipur in India, haven't been for a few years. Loved Rajasthan in general, fascinating region.
Regards

Bob

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:23 pm

casita-bonita wrote:The one in Nerja is excellent, one of the best Indian restaurants n the area. Along with Buddha house our favourites.
Taj Mahal in Torre......... You're having a laugh.......
Thank you for that. How rude.
Likes/dislikes for food is a very individual thing, you know. I didn't ask for that sort of comment.
Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Very true, much down to personal taste.Both my wife and myself prefer the food at Taj Mahal in Torre del Mar to the food in Jaipur in Nerja.
I wouldn't be so rude as to criticise someone else's choice.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks, Gerry.
Chris

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Manchesteral, I was not taking the p*ss but quite seriously interested. The oh and I are trying to plan a trip taking in Taj Mahal, Rajasthan, Shimla and Ranthambore . We are just waiting on a couple of friends to “commit” before we cross the ts and dot the is. Any advice or guidance would be welcome.
I agree the Jaipur restaurant in Milton Keynes is pretty good (but it was even better in the early days when it was next to the railway station!) imho

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:20 am

If you're going then do not miss Varanasi, incredible, unforgettable place.
Regards

Bob

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm

gus wrote:Manchesteral, I was not taking the p*ss but quite seriously interested. The oh and I are trying to plan a trip taking in Taj Mahal, Rajasthan, Shimla and Ranthambore . We are just waiting on a couple of friends to “commit” before we cross the ts and dot the is. Any advice or guidance would be welcome.
I agree the Jaipur restaurant in Milton Keynes is pretty good (but it was even better in the early days when it was next to the railway station!) imho
No problem Gus, no offence taken, I expected to get an onslaught of recommendations anyway :-)
I haven't been there but a friend of mine has been living there for some time and he says it's a paradise for British expats so I might spend a few months there next year.
Good luck with your trip and whatever you do in India, do NOT order phaal curry unless your stomach is made of leather !!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:16 pm

No risk of getting phall curry in India - it was invented in Bangladesh restaurants in Birmingham!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Was in Jaipur late November. Pleasant enough Indian city. Animal cruelty and poverty come with the deal of course but the people are exceptionally friendly and kind.

I was there for 3 whole days but 2 whole days would be enough to see all the sights and get the flavour. The forts and palace are great to see. The food was good but I prefer Amritsar.

No real contamination or being ripped off problems as in Delhi.

Personally I prefer the Himalayas in north india and there are plenty of cheap flights from Jaipur.

We like India so much we'll be returning in April (Kashmir, Darjeeling and Sikkim) so you can tell we are a bit hooked on the place. Sure you'll enjoy it as it isn't a holiday, it is an adventure and experience.
El raton de watford

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:58 am

Namaste

Just a thought. The best flights we have found are from Madrid, via Paris or Amsterdam, to New Delhi. Starting from 370 Euros return. And the connection is minimal time so an elapsed of about 12 hours is possible. For us much cheaper than from London.

From Malaga we saw 450 Euros.
El raton de watford

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:01 pm

peteroldracer wrote:No risk of getting phall curry in India - it was invented in Bangladesh restaurants in Birmingham!
You're right about the geographical origins of the dish but it is available in India, if you look for it !

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:16 am

For lunch in jaipur and all over northern india we often went for two street samosas (big, crunchy, and filled with a spicy vegetable mixture), two different curry sauces, and a sweet milk tea. About 75p. And very filling.

It is very difficult to not eat many fresh cooked breads in the street. The chapatis and parathas being common but naan as well. Just the smell was enough to sidetrack me.

The paneer and daal dishes were great. In general if it wasn't vegetarian then 90% was chicken. Buttered chicken appeared on many menus.

To get a beer was tricky and usually was a 650ml of strong Tubourg or Kingfisher. Cost 3 or 4 pounds a bottle. Hotel bars were the norm as many restaurants were alcohol free. And in Delhi there is even a law stopping alcohol sales within 500 meters of a main road. Figure that in a city!

In Chandigarh we found our only Indian local brewery. Three different craft beers and the IPA despite being really strong was excellent. Almost 5 pounds a pint but they did offer free samples of all three before we dived in.

Sorry wittering but India is a great place so don´t want anyone to have second thoughts :D
El raton de watford