Ryanair luggage change

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Parilla
Resident

Re: Ryanair luggage change

Postby Parilla » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:57 am

Wicksey, I don't have a lot of experience of BA short haul, but a few weeks ago I booked two returns Malaga-Gatwick for the end of November, at a lower cost than both EasyJet and Norwegian.

Parilla

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:51 pm

You still won't be able to take large liquid bottles as you still have to go through security with it

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:16 pm

I don't think anyone blames even Ryanair for the fact that you can't take large bottles of liquid on board. That's one thing they're not guilty of.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:45 am

Parilla wrote:Wicksey, I don't have a lot of experience of BA short haul, but a few weeks ago I booked two returns Malaga-Gatwick for the end of November, at a lower cost than both EasyJet and Norwegian.

Parilla

I didn't realise they had started flying to Gatwick again. I see their prices are quite competitive and may have booked my forthcoming trip with them if I had known. My main point was though that, unlike Alcala Barry thought, you no longer get free food, drink or hold luggage as in the old days on the short haul flights.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:33 pm

And of course, if you have your little suitcase with you, there is no hanging about for the luggage to appear on the carousel on arrival. Could make the difference when getting a connection or onward transport.

Must admit to a mild panic on learning this latest move but hey ho, if it keeps the flight price down I don't care, I'll either suck up the extra cost and book Priority Boarding or just let them stuff my case in the hold, I have a large enough handbag for laptop/charger etc....

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

If you travel with Ryanair from now on, you cannot bring your hand luggage on board unless you pay for priority boarding. What they don’t make clear, is that they will put your hand luggage in the hold for free, but you can’t check it in: you have to bring it to the gate! Why do they make things so complicated?
Here’s a newspaper article that explains it somewhat more clearly than RA:
https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ ... 70919.html

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Sounds like a perfectly sensible thing for Ryanair to implement.
Of course they wouln't have had to do this if it wasn't for some of their customers grossly abusing the carry on luggage allowances.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:31 pm

My issue is that RA does not make it clear on their email notifications that they will put the bag in the hold for free. I got the impression that you HAD to purchase priority boarding if you had hand luggage: in other words, they try to trick you into spending more. I was caught out this time - shame on me! :x

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Frst of all they are giving themselves alot of hassel taking passengers bags at the gate and having to load them on..Secondly what if everyone purchases priority boarding? Is that what they are banking on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:47 pm

I cannot see a solution to this: people who travel with cabin bags normally want them with them in the cabin for a quick exit. In a 180-seat aircrfaft there is room for c. 90 bags overhead, so as soon as 50% of the passengers pay for priority boarding Ryanair have two options: assume all priority passengers will have a cabin bag, and stop selling that category, or gamble that not all will want a cabin bag and accept the rumpus when some will not get what they have paid for!
I for one will start packing my medicines in a small enough bag to go under the seat, even if I have paid for priority, so if my cabin bag is taken off me at the steps or wherever my health is protected.
I wonder what has happened to the award-winning proposal dreamt up by engineering students to build a place under every passenger’s feet to stow a standard sized bag?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:47 pm

I have just travelled on Jet2. Boarding was the usual debacle. Three students in front sat down having spread their small suitcases and bags in different overhead lockers. Then on with the main event of finishing their enormous pop drinks. Later decided to take their overcoats off and spread them elsewhere as no space near there suitcases. Chaos at deplaning.

Maybe the first 90 get all the seats near front exit for their quick getaway. Got hold luggage ?then you get allocated seats further back. After all a quick getaway wont be a priority as the hold luggage takes time to get to the carousel .

Maybe there should be 3 classes. Standard, priority and super priority.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 pm

"Maybe there should be 3 classes. Standard, priority and super priority"

Sounds good to me... of course we will all be travelling "TRUMP AIR"

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 am

I agree that passengers pushing their luck ( they mostly know full well what the allowances are ) is a contributory factor, but the airlines themselves must bear a large portion of blame. They rarely if ever, either at check in or boarding gate or aircraft entry, check hand baggage and enforce the dimension rules which they themselves impose.

Parilla

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 am

We travel on mainly Ryanair or Vueling and it's the same every time with some people's carry-on bags being very much larger than ours which are the regulation size. I think that the problem is that the staff just don't have time to argue with everyone as their turnaround time is so short. The moment one lot of passengers have disembarked the next lot are straight on, the doors shut and off we go again. On landing they often announce that they only have a 30 minute turnaround time and ask everybody to get off quickly.

Having paid 50€pp each way for flights to the UK this summer, including priority booking and a seat of our choice, I can't really complain and we do find Ryanair is usually on time in our own experience.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:15 am

Passengers need educating in boarding etiquette.
Get on plane
Find seat
Put bag in overhead
SIT DOWN AND STAY DOWN TILL SEAT BELT SIGNS GO OFF!
Then, get sandwiches, books, specs etc. out of bag in overhead........
The number of people who phaff about getting organised whilst blocking everyone else from boarding is mind blowing. I want to shout at them to sit down so we can take off on time!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:25 pm

That's exactly what we say. That's why I liked the second bag rule when it came in as I already have all the stuff I need in front of me and I don't need to get anything out of my hand luggage.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:09 pm

I'm flying out from Newcastle to malaga on Monday the 15 January. Worst luck. First day they are implementing the new rules. I'll let you know what the outcome is. I only take standard size hand luggage and a man bag.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Floriana wrote:Passengers need educating in boarding etiquette.
Get on plane
Find seat
Put bag in overhead
SIT DOWN AND STAY DOWN TILL SEAT BELT SIGNS GO OFF!
Then, get sandwiches, books, specs etc. out of bag in overhead........
The number of people who phaff about getting organised whilst blocking everyone else from boarding is mind blowing. I want to shout at them to sit down so we can take off on time!
Well said. They queue for 2 hours to be 1st then mess about in the aisle getting kindles etc out.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Birmingham to Malaga on the 25th of Jan for 2 weeks. £36 return. I am not slagging Ryanair off. Thats taxi ride prices in London.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:27 pm

It costs me more than twice the Ryanair air fare to get a taxi from home to the airport! And even more to park at airport if I drive there.....