Gibraltar

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Gibraltar

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 pm

That Is a boat and a half. Moody produced some very fine yachts didn't they.
An old friend of mine at the club has sailed many boats over his many years and always said the best was the Moody he owned until he had to retire from sailing.

Very jealous.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:16 pm

El Cid wrote:It was a Moody Eclipse 38, bought new in 1990 - the first one out of the factory!

Sid
That's a very nice boat sid, I used to have a half share in a Nauticat (it even had a sauna on board), Didn't use my share much so I sold it out, in later years I used to sail an H boat, a small (8 metres long) racing boat, but I haven't used it for years, my mate sails it now !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Yes, it was a lovely boat and was our main home for 5 years. We sailed about 11000 miles around the Med, from one end to the other. Happy days!

We did spend quite a few days in Gib as it was also a good port to access Morocco which we did a few times. It was also very cheap for boat bits. We bought a 240v generator duty free and fitted it there. Also had a duty free laptop delivered to the boat - all that saved a packet.

Sid

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Wow :!: - Cheers guys, so much advice regarding Gib, oh and yachts too :wink:

terry

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:10 pm

They did build good yachts. So off subject now. I had a Moody 27 for many years then changed to a Sealine 37; work that one out!

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 pm

atg1952

Still off subject, that's a hell of a change.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Very interesting that so many seem to think that the answer to the question (is it worth a visit?) boils down to the retail therapeutic qualities of the place. Can't say I've ever considered that a factor in determining whether or not to visit any place. But since it seems important to others - I wonder what anyone can reasonably expect from a place with a population comparable to that of, say, Canvey Island. I imagine Canvey is cr4p for shopping, but it never stopped me enjoying wallowing in the mud there as a kid!
I still like the Marmite analogy, and I still maintain that (like Marmite) you should not take anyone else's word for it - if it turns out to be cr4p and you hate it, at least you'll know why - which is surely better than saying I don't like it because I've never tried it?
I say, go visit Gib, then post back here to let us know whether you love it or hate it (not who was right or wrong!) :wave:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 am

An excellent post Miro, you have made some very good points. Much more balanced than mine.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:25 am

I guess because a motivation for alot to visit is the shopping. Being able to get uk foodstuffs or visit clothes shops you know and maybe love. Any other place to me shopping wouldnt come into whether you wanted to visit or not its just because its the chance to visit such places while "in spain" . been intrested on the history of the place is also a factor aswell

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 pm

I've visited Gib many times over the last 35 years.
I think it's a very interesting place.
Got some unique tourist attractions like the apes and the seine tunnels. The caves are excellent.
The Marina is nice
We've taken the car in many times . The wait can be tedious but is soon over

I recomend you go