New Car First Service

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
telboy
Resident

New Car First Service

Postby telboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I have been instructed that my first service is due after 2,000km or 3 months on my brand new car - Is this the norm, I thought 15,000km to 20,000km or 1year was an average figure?

Also

I bought my car at a dealership a fair distance from where I live as I got a slightly better deal from my nearer dealership. - Do I need to have the car serviced at the dealership where I bought it?

terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Car First Service

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:40 pm

On many cars it can be as high as 30000km or two years.

What model of car is it?

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Our skoda was two years or 30k guess it depends on how high end it is?.but even then that sounds abit ott get it serviced where you like the old thing about having to get it serviced at a dealership of your brand ended years back aslong as offical parts are used.if you want to keep it serviced at an offical dealer just take it to your nearest

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Unless its an M power model BMW or AMG Merc it is not needed yet. Those models I mentioned do have to have a running in service after a few months.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:11 pm

I'd check the service book Tel......if it has one and not keeping records on the key. See when first service is due. Last 2 recent new cars I've bought have had to go back for 1000 miles or 3 month (which ever comes first) first service at dealers expense. Also you can have it serviced at any franchised dealer for that car.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Well, you keep buying silly cars which might break if they actually get driven! :wink:

I had a new Audi 100 in the mid 80's and the first service was at 20k so extended servicing has been around for some time.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 pm

El Cid wrote:Well, you keep buying silly cars which might break if they actually get driven! :wink:
Hahaha,Yes getting the dealer stamp for the service 200 miles after you got the last does wear thin!

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:12 pm

I think the Italian sports cars like Ferrari and what not requires service every 2000km. Also if you drive much in dusty environments or rugged terrain you will likely need service in 5000km or so with a full oil change.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Experienced mechanics will want to change their engine oil at something around 500-1000 miles, for the simple reason that new engines shed both metal and casting residue into the oil early on. This is best inexpensively hiked out by replacing both oil and filter, rather than let it remain in the oil for 20,000+ miles/km. On many makes of car, although this early oil change became 'optional', wise mechanics would always opt for it on their own cars.
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Oil technology has moved on in leaps and bounds. Sadly many “experienced” mechanics have not caught up with these changes. If a manufacturer is happy with 20000 mile service intervals, and gives a warranty based on that, I would be happy to accept that. It would be in their interest to recommend earlier intervals to generate more income for their dealer network.

Bearing in mind that the synthetic oils that they use cost a huge amount - like about £40 for 5 litres, doing premature oil changes gets expensive!

My latest car came with a 4 year warranty and 4 years free servicing. I am pretty happy with that. I will take it in for a check and software update after 1 year, but they won’t be changing the oil.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Same here. Free Software update at 1 year. First service not due until 24 months are up or 30,000 miles. As I have only done 9,000 miles in 18 months, I expect it will be at the end of the 2 years.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:33 pm

Sid, these longer service intervals are brought about by people now wanting cost effective "all inclusive" leases. We all know oil has come on leaps and bounds in quality but I'd not leave it in one of my cars for anything like that. A yearly change or tops 3k miles is both wise and easy enough to do. Less on a performance car.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:39 am

TorreDelAguila wrote:Experienced mechanics will want to change their engine oil at something around 500-1000 miles, for the simple reason that new engines shed both metal and casting residue into the oil early on. This is best inexpensively hiked out by replacing both oil and filter, rather than let it remain in the oil for 20,000+ miles/km. On many makes of car, although this early oil change became 'optional', wise mechanics would always opt for it on their own cars.
Not on modern engines. That was in the old days. No such thing as running in now.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 am

By all means, if you are happy with that.
And, BTW, running-in recommendations are alive and well, particularly for new diesel engines.
To save the driver having to actually think, some modern vehicles have their engine ECUs pre-programmed to control how they are driven for the first few 000 miles/km.
It all depends how long you want your engine to last - and the manufacturers have a take on that, too.
Chris

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 pm

El Cid wrote:On many cars it can be as high as 30000km or two years.

What model of car is it?

Sid
I have s Suzuki S-Cross 4x4. - The first service is free, I should imagine not much needs doing after only 2000km probably just an oil change, check the tension on the drive belt and a general visual check.
TorreDelAguila wrote:Experienced mechanics will want to change their engine oil at something around 500-1000 miles, for the simple reason that new engines shed both metal and casting residue into the oil early on. This is best inexpensively hiked out by replacing both oil and filter, rather than let it remain in the oil for 20,000+ miles/km. On many makes of car, although this early oil change became 'optional', wise mechanics would always opt for it on their own cars.
Make sense to me, that's what I've read on many website under the subject.

Cheers all for your response :thumbup:

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:26 am

All 3 of our new vehicles (2 motorbikes bought 2015 and 1 car bought 2017) gave specific advice in the manual on how the vehicles should be driven for the first few hundred kilometres.

Unfortunately, none of the dealers mentioned anything. Hence the reason that most people don't realise the importance of following the manufacturers instructions.

No oil changes necessary, but being nice to a new vehicle will have long term benefits. Watch that rev counter!!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:01 am

I visited the Opel factory in Germany in 1968. My lasting impression was of the cars actually coming off the production line which appeared to be some form of quality testing as well. The engines were revved hard, brakes tested on rollers then the car was catapulted off the rollers and shot out of the doors with a puff of tyre smoke at each gear change to be parked ready for delivery to a proud owner. I remember my dad at the time having a new Cortina which he lovingly ran in .
My brother worked at a Volvo plant doing two jobs. One was the shifting from production line trainee racing driver job and the other was fixing any electrical faults shown up by those on the trainee racing driver career path. I am sure that doesn't happen on modern production lines.

DA was that a typo “ 3 k oilchange”? My local garage think I am mad doing 5 k miles oil changes on my old diesel 4x4.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Might not even be an oil and filter job, especially as it's free (call me old fashioned, but I like to have the old bits drained off even though manufacturer tolerances are tighter now). I've seen 1st service sheets that amount to wiggle, wiggle, tick box and maybe change the pollen filter.
Presumably making sure they're not sued for wheel nuts and giving Americans asthma. Depends how long you will keep it. Most engines will last through the warranty and, after that, don't expect them to care. I recently noticed Renault UK reduced the warranty to 3 years "to enhance customer experience". The same reason why BG dropped my duel fuel discount. And keep an eye out for sudden changes to recommended intervals.
As Sid said, 5l of fully synthetic is 60 before anyone dirties their hands but I, personally, would do it annually; especially if a turbo is present. YMMV.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:11 pm

The new Nissan Navarra that I have has a Renault engine. 5 years warranty, 1st service at 18000 miles or 2 years whichever come first. Its the same engine that Mercedes put in there new pick up as well.