Health care in Almeria / Andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
tinak
Tourist

Health care in Almeria / Andalucia

Postby tinak » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi. We are lucky enough to have taken early retirement and move to Spain with our 13 year old son. We are now looking at applying for residencia. Our son is in mainstream Spanish education. As part of the application we need to have health care sorted, and as we are too young for an S1, we have to go down the private health care route in the first instance. The question I have is whether our son, being under 16, qualifies for state health care or do we have to include him in our private health care? I am hoping that we can get some advice. Many thanks in advance.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Health care in Almeria / Andalucia

Postby elusive » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:01 am

As hes a minor hes entitled to free treatment under the law but when it comes to health rights in spain what the law says and what you will be told by the INSS can be very different. Whether this means getting a healthcard or just been seen as and when as you wont be on the system I'm sure others might be able to confirm. Have a look at citizens advice bureau spain website or facebook group. Lots of info there

tinak
Tourist

Postby tinak » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks. I will have a look at them now.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:40 am

Our daughter went to school here from age 7 to 14 and we had to get her an NIE and she is on wifes seguro , she came back for holiday couple of years ago and wasn't well so went to health center and they said she is fine to be seen and have treatment until she is 26 . She was 22 then and about to go to south america as part of her UK university course and she needed a lot of vaccinations which we have to pay for in the UK but Spanish doctor said if we give a weeks notice she can come back and have them here free . Decided to leave it until she returned to UK and pay for them , couple of hundred quid but after she had then the university refunded the cost .

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Yeah if you are on the sytem then your kids can be covered into their 20's if they havnt got a legal job.but the O.P wont be on the system.

If money isnt an issue i would put your kid on private health care ontop of any NHS care they can get.alot less hassle (if language is an issue) and you will certainly get seen quicker.

I saw your post on CAB I would see what the private cost will be for your healthcare before defo deciding to go on the NHS after having residencia for a year. As its not cheap.might be the same or cheaper to stay private

onlinelee
Tourist

Postby onlinelee » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 am

Hi, as early retirees and assuming you don't have income, I wonder how you got on with your application for residency?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Just curious - if you are not already registered as residents, how did you get your son into "mainstream" school? Or is it a private school?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.