ITV rules re tyres

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: ITV rules re tyres

Postby gerryh » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 am

Had my car ITV'd at the Algarrobo centre 2 weeks ago.
They just checked that the front passenger side tyre was the same spec as the paperwork.
Did not check all 4 tyres.
I think it would be sensible to have the two front tyres of the same make/ tread pattern as they are easier to see than the rear tyres.
On previous occasions I have had different makes/ tread patterns on the same axle and the inspector, at Algarrobo just pointed to them and shook his head. No comment recorded in the ITV certificate.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 am

Thanks gerry. I guess ill just have to see what happs. No point paying out before i need to. If it ever stops raining I'll have a nosey at the neighbours cars tyres!

We we thinking of having a pre itv check at a local garage.do any of you guys have one? Is it the norm or not worth it.we could at least then swap the two front tyres so they are the same

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:46 am

I took my Frontera to El Palo two years ago with 4 bald tyres, one with wire sticking out it. It passed.
I replaced the front with new tyres and put the spare on the back with a tyre from the scrap yard. Unfortunately the speed ratings were different. It failed the next ITV on this. Just your luck really.
I never get a pre ITV done. Why spend the money. If it fails you have two months to get anything fixed and a free retest!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:47 am

Hi elusive,

"We we thinking of having a pre itv check at a local garage"..........do the basics yourself, If you have had it serviced as per manufactures procedures then check lights etc and changing the wheels over should be well within your pay grade......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks all.yeah its been serviced as required. Agree not much point gettibg a pre if the retest is free

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:35 am

Apols for posting another Q, but I'd appreciate your experiences as the ITV (mid-Aug) will be my first in Spain (the car is 2005, though). A rear tyre was not great and I had both rears replaced, same make but different to the front (matching, hope that makes sense) make. Should be all good there but I've subsequently noticed one of the fronts has a 2-cent sized "flap" in the sidewall; not deep. I must have caught the rubber on a stone or kerb edge when parking. I know this is "an advisory" in the UK but what might I expect here? A pity if it's "grave" as the front pair are 80%.

Also, the driver's headlamp has misted internally after a jetwash. Not great for bulbs, I know but I'm hoping for a bit of "scorchio" by August to do me a favour as this Renault is a known pig (bumper off, wheelarch out) for headlight removal. I'm not asking anyone to guess the effect of water-drop dispersal, but does the ITV involve beam checking equipment or is it down to the opinion (and, as Pete put it, whether porridge was on the menu) of the tester? Thanks for any thoughts.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:44 pm

1bassleft wrote:... but does the ITV involve beam checking equipment
Yes.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:40 pm

I have a badly misted headlight and it's never been picked up!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:47 pm

They don't like headlights where the plastic lens is crazed and slightly opaque.

Sid

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks everyone. Knowing that testing equipment is used helps. I have the option of asking for a check during a service for peace of mind (the lenses are in fine fettle - must be a bad seal). Will definitely turn up in an unwashed (or hand-washed) car! If a bulb goes before Aug, the whole lot's coming out and Ultralifes all round. I'll have a google.es about the tyre nick; it is only a thin flap of rubber that I'd be surprised to have flagged up but forewarned, as they say...

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:22 pm

"Sin ampollas, deformaciones anormales, roturas u otros signos que evidencien el despegue de alguna capa en los flancos o de la banda de rodadura."
Hmm, con "peligro de reventon" is muy grave (fair enough and not applicable on my little nick) but show signs of detachment is a bit up to interpretation (and porridge intake) and is either grave or nothing, according to the itvcitaprevia site. Have the Mrs smiling in the passenger seat, I think, everyone likes her.

Also, I noticed same tipo rather than marca requirement on the same axle, which would explain why different brands shouldn't be an issue but somebody might decide to make it one.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Chase the moisture out of the headlight by removing the bulb, and blowing some warm air in there (from a hair-dryer) for 10 mins or so. Try to squirt the air in so that what's in there can escape - maybe use a couple of bits of hose: one in, and one out.
Chris

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Thanks Chris, I have to admit I don't expect warm weather alone to do it for me; too much of a goldfish bowl. The only problem is it's a Modus (like the Clio mk3 but worse). Youtube abounds with the ridiculous procedure required to change a bulb (quite an amusing documentary/newsfluff one with 'o' level standard French Changer une ampoule sur un Modus Renault). I'm grimacing at the prospect of the inevitable bulb blow. I've read that the LHS bulb cover is just about removable in situ by a rodent gynaecologist so I might think up something. Lots of light tapping causes most of it to run down but it vaporizes and condenses back into a full misting of the lens.
I thought I'd considered all the caveats before buying but "I wonder if bulb-changing takes 2hrs on my back" wasn't one of them. No garage, just the bloque car park at my disposal. I'm really warming to ajtg1952's advice :wink:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Just back from having our first ITV (algarrobo). Certainly an experience compaired to the U.K. im now fluent in handbrake steering wheel ect!! Had an appointment for 9 and got seen around 9.20. Seemed very busy dont know if saturadays are more busy than others but it was very well organised its like been at argos!.re the tyres we had two changed pre ITV as they were pretty worn so the front two were one brand and the back two another.tbh i dont think the man even looked at them.maybe a glance but certainly no obvious physical checking .the guy behind the desk when paying didnt ask or look at the insurance docs that were in the paperwork i handed over either. Most importantly of all we passed!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Glad it all went well. It's a very professional set-up in comparison to the UK!
Chris

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:01 pm

elusive wrote:Just back from having our first ITV (algarrobo).re the tyres we had two changed pre ITV as they were pretty worn so the front two were one brand and the back two another.tbh i dont think the man even looked at them.maybe a glance but certainly no obvious physical checking
I've taken many cars and vans in for itv's over the years and in my experience they do generally check the tyres even more so more when they're under the car whilst you're doing your bit on the steering wheel etc inside.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:31 pm

Ah right. Thanks for that. I didnt even realise he had gone underneath until the passenger told me. Abit scary driving onto those plates

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu May 14, 2020 4:22 pm

My car is in for its four-year service (before first ITV) and the dealer has just phoned to say the tyres are out of date and should fail the test. A bit galling at 27000 kms but I do not want hassle at the ITV station - thank goodness it does not have a spare...
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu May 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi peteroldracer,
tyres are out of date and should fail the test
Four year old car ......possible have 4-5 year old tyres............ask garage what the date on Tyres

What's the ITV out of date for tyres.......... :?:

I think they are pull your leg................... :crazy:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 14, 2020 6:10 pm

The date is irrelevant for the ITV. they are only interested in the condition and whether they are the correct tyres.

Sid