reduction in OTC at chemists

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
olive
Andalucia Guru

reduction in OTC at chemists

Postby olive » Mon May 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Went to my farmacia here today. Another box of hayfever tablets please? Sorry can't sell you them now over the counter. You have to have a prescription. Pointed to a long printed sheet explaining changes.

Loratadine 10mg. You can buy them in Wilko in the Uk for around 99p. I sort of understand why but it will put pressure on doctor appointment availability.

Just a heads up for folk

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: reduction in OTC at chemists

Postby costakid » Mon May 21, 2018 4:09 pm

The worlds gone mad.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon May 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Try another pharmacy, I had no difficulty yesterday OTC for Loratadina.
I need Motillium for a dog and one pharmacy it's not without scrip, another, less than 1k away it's no problem.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Tried two more, this time in Loja, today. Same story.

So I will make an appointment to see the doctor on Thursday and spend/waste? 50 minutes round trip and pollute the planet to boot. Price of progress. I have always maintained that chemists should take some of doctors workload and sell you something for your condition where they can. Where they cannot or have any doubt then refer to the doctor

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue May 22, 2018 8:15 pm

I wonder will BP medication (Amlodopine) etc go the same way ?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Is there any site with a list detailing the changes?

So you can get tram a dol or naproxen otc but not hayfever tabs.what damage are they going to do to you?

What if you have no"right" to healthcare you have to pay 50€ to see a private dr for some hayfever tabs?!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Well I can cast some more light on this.

Today we went to the doctors to get more loratadine and eye drops for hay fever. Plus a few other things while were there! A saving compared to over the counter predictably.

I asked about the new procedure. apparently it is only Granada Province. The issue is that Spain is one of the worlds heaviest consumers of omeprazole and ibruprofen (the two specific examples he used) and the idea is to get the public off unnecessary or inappropriate medication.

I didn't ask if other provinces would follow suit. maybe they are appraising the results first.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu May 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks olive. Interesting to know

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu May 24, 2018 5:49 pm

maybe not only Granada province ... Malaga area too ... in Velez-Malaga last week I was told amoxicilina was only available through a prescription now ... previously otc

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu May 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Presume thats a antibiotic The rule has suppposedly been in effect for a good 5 years plus about not giving out anti b's otc because of the world wide problems with resistance. Of course depends on the chemist you go in

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 pm

Our chemist pretty much lets us have anything. Possibly because he dispenses €300 worth of drugs to me every month. He says I pay for his holidays!

Sid

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 am

Jesus, u lot are a sick bunch, lol.

I'm nearly 50 and have never had an antibiotic; never been to a doctor in my adult years (except to verify a passport photo). Have only ever used an occasional topical cream for "stuff".

It concerns me, as if I ever need to go to hospital I won't have any idea how everything works.

Obviously, I could drop dead anytime, but I must have good genes!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri May 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Up until my mid 60's I hardly ever went to the doctors. :clap:
Now that I am older and variuos bits are wearing out I'm a frequent visitor to the doctors. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
So enjoy it whist you can, your time will come as you get older.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 25, 2018 1:14 pm

jhonie99 wrote:Jesus, u lot are a sick bunch, lol.

I'm nearly 50 and have never had an antibiotic; never been to a doctor in my adult years (except to verify a passport photo). Have only ever used an occasional topical cream for "stuff".

It concerns me, as if I ever need to go to hospital I won't have any idea how everything works.

Obviously, I could drop dead anytime, but I must have good genes!
My Dad went to see a GP when he was 52, the first time for 29 years. He stood up to get a drink of water and collapsed and died, he was 53.

There does seem to be a lot of pill poppers on here. Having said that I have just had a steroid injection below my thumb and I had to sign I was aware of the risks :crazy:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm

What that your thumb might drop off or worse!!! Nothing like the U K big brother watching over you. If anything went wrong they would only cover it up as always anyway.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:39 pm

It's changing in the Uk, There is a new scheme operating, some doctors surgeries and pharmacies are already advertising job roles which include university study ( paid for) which will enable pharmacists to prescribe medicine which can be only obtained from a doctors prescription..How it works im unsure but i imagine its being put in place to take some of the strain away from the surgeries..