buying

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
jimmyallan
Tourist

buying

Postby jimmyallan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi, what a great site for information.
I will be looking to buy this year, I have been looking at a prices on a couple of estate agencies and a bit confused regarding the differences on prices between them for the same properties, not kyero but estate agencies in the same town, looking for some guidance.
thanks in advance, Jimmy

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: buying

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:43 am

Jimmy, as a general guide I would say that you should pay what you are prepared to pay, prices differ so much that "one mans meat is another mans poison", just go with what you are prepared to pay, having done the necessary research of course !

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 am

Jimmy,
You do not need advise at all, you should be advising us, I for one jumped in and had bought without really thinking of what i was doing and if i really did the research your doing i would have saved between 5 and 10k at the outset. I am happy with my place and i love it but this is what happened.
The only advise i can give you is, your already doing the research so if you see a property and you like it a few grand either way is no big deal in the overall scheme of things, better pay a little more bit than you want than to lose a purchase by being too careful.
I currently know of a couple who wand a builder to do what is a pretty big job. Because they have being pricing and pricing with everyone now builders are wary of them and i do not think any of the local builders have any interest in their project.

good luck.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:44 am

Estate agents just seem to nick each others properties and advertise them as their own inorder to get a finders fee .hence all the different prices you see.for eg we looked at house 4 years ago it was on and still is on with several agents and several of those agents claim the property as an "exclusive!" I noticed it alot when first looking.prices varying upto to say 30k. Most of the agents we have come across (british) ones seem pretty clueless as they just came here during the boom to make a fast buck with no previous experience. Same with long terms rents and having no clue of the law.we knew someone who got screwed over by their landlord.telling them to leave and refusing to return the deposit (which by law they shouldnt have held themselves anyway) and the rental agent who the friend went through didnt want to know as all they care about is getting their comission then they leave you to it to deal with your landlord.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:21 am

Just don't set your heart on something and get carried away paying over the odds, it's always easier to buy a property than it is to sell it...At the very least you would want to walk away with what you paid for it...many people have taken a loss so relax and take your time and proceed with caution..

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Estate agents just seem to nick each others properties and advertise them as their own inorder to get a finders fee .hence all the different prices you see.for eg we looked at house 4 years ago it was on and still is on with several agents and several of those agents claim the property as an "exclusive!" I noticed it alot when first looking.prices varying upto to say 30k. Most of the agents we have come across (british) ones seem pretty clueless as they just came here during the boom to make a fast buck with no previous experience.

Elusive I agree. I call them kitchen sink agents. Once went to view a property advertised by an Agent in Sur. En route she stopped at a different agents to pick up the key. We were sat waiting in the car and saw through the office window they appeared to be arguing, she came out and said viewing was off! What happens they "borrow" other agents photos, advertise them to clients and if they get any go to real Agent and ask them to split commission.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Jimmy - a lot may depend on which area you are looking at. In any case, you would be well-advised to deal with a local spanish estate agent (who speaks English if your spanish is not up to it yet - or find yourself an english-speaking lawyer or gestor which you will need anyway) as they will know the ins and outs of local laws etc... do your research online with the big search engines if you want, but then when you make your trip out here, check with the locals and you may well find the property listed there. As far as I know in spanish law there is no EXCLUSIVE clause that the agents can use - similarly they can advise the seller what they think the property is likely to sell for in their experience ... different agents have different points of view. In any case, when it all comes down to it, you offer what you think it is worth and what you want to pay, and see what the reaction is. Often the seller will be happy to take a reasonable price, rather than what has been put on the advert - which is really only a guide-price anyway.

jimmyallan
Tourist

Postby jimmyallan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks for the helpful advice and information. The town we have been looking at is Alora, we have spent some time there over the last two years and have looked at a few town house properties, which a few are still for sale! I wonder if they are over priced? Anyhow, we are going over in July for a month and hope to purchase at that time, is it okay to ask for recommendations for lawyers in the area?
Again thanks for the help and advice.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 pm

You can ask anything you want amigo

jimmyallan
Tourist

Postby jimmyallan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 am

Hi Again,
I was looking for recommendations for a lawyer re house purchase in Alora or surrounding area if anyone has bought around that area recently. Thanks in advance

jannapper

Postby jannapper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi Jimmy
Have you come across the Spanish Property Insight website? It has a list of lawyers you can approach. We bought a place last year in Iznajar and contacted four of the solicitors on the list based in and around Malaga and Marbella for quotes. We chose Jose Maria Sanchez Alfonso of Andalusian Lawyers and can recommend him. He travelled up to Iznajar, which is further from the coast than Alora, so I expect he would be happy to deal with you.

jimmyallan
Tourist

Postby jimmyallan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks jannapper,
I haven't seen that site, it looks very interesting, I have tried to access andalusian lawyers website but no luck !
Again thanks for the information. I will be in Alora for a month in July and hope to purchase then.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 pm

All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jimmyallan
Tourist

Postby jimmyallan » Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 am

Hello again, I have been keeping an eye at a house for a while, approx two years its been on the market and have viewed it as well. I am heading over to spain in July an was keen to put in an offer. Looking today it has increased in price by 20000 euros !! Is this normal?
Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed May 23, 2018 9:35 am

It used to be, before the property crash. A property might have been on the market for a year, not sold, but at the start of the following year the vendor would still put the asking price up rather than reducing it! It used to amuse me as it was so much the opposite to the UK. When we were looking for our first house we viewed one in December, and were told that the owners did not want to move out until the following October as they were buying a new build which wouldn't be ready until then. We liked the house so made an offer, which was refused - the agent said "but the house will be worth so much more by next October!". We weren't persuaded.

Now that sales are picking up as the market recovers, I would guess that maybe some other properties in the area have sold so the vendors of this one think their chances of a sale have improved, hence the hike in price.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed May 23, 2018 9:41 am

Hi,
Up this way they would be reducing the price by 20K if it had been on the market that long........... :D

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:21 am

Same where i am.... however in some areas sales seem to have become buoyant, OTH's cousin who recently married a lawyer told him that the company he works for opened up new offices in Marbella and other areas of the coast to cash in on the new boom as they have called it...She also said that they predict another crash in the foreseeable due to the fact that the banks have already gone back to dishing out money to everyone and anyone...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 am

Do remember that it will cost you around 12-15% of the purchase price to actually buy it, so you will need to hang on to it for a long time to get back what you paid for it, even ignoring the effects of inflation. Property here is a place to live in, not an investment.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed May 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Jimmy - irrespective of the price they have put on it now, it is only worth something if they sell it. If you are keen on the place, make them an offer at the price YOU want to pay, then see what they come back with. If they have not had any other offers or interest, they may well snap up yours. They are fishing hopefully, and probably do next really expect to get the full amount anyway.
Good luck.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed May 23, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi,
" Property here is a place to live in, not an investment."....so true Peter..........I've not seen any properties up this way that have gone for anywhere near the original price paid.

Gasman has the right approach.......... :thumbup: