Leaking Pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
vinuela vinny
Resident

Leaking Pool

Postby vinuela vinny » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:45 am

Hi All

Our pool is now thirty years old, and it has always leaked, but over the years the leak has got worse. Our local contractor has tried everything, including renewing all the pipework, grouting the tiles, renewing the skimmer box, jets, vacuum and filler points - all without any great improvement. We trust him, and he thinks that the hormigon is no longer up to the job, which seems a logical conclusion to us.....

He is recommending that as a next step, major works are needed - and that all the tiles be removed, and that the pool be lined with fibre glass, which will guarantee no future leaks. The costs of removing the tiles are forecast to be a few euros per hour, and then applying the fibre glass is €25 per square metre.....

Any thoughts on our problem and the suggested solution would be very gratefully welcomed, and if anyone has experience of similar works, we would love to visit their pool to see the outcome, and to review their experiences - distance no problem, and we will bring lunch, beers and cakes! PM us if that is easier........

Thank you again for your kind help

Regards

Vincent

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Leaking Pool

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:27 am

It is the mosaic tiles that make a pool watertight - they are glass, and impermeable. Water cannot pass though the tiles themselves.

The grout between them is another matter. It is almost always a cheap mix (not much better than polyfilla), that adheres badly to the shiny glass tiles, degrades, goes porous, falls out, and is attacked by any appreciable acid in the pool. After years of being there, bits go missing, and water starts to leak away into the concrete.

The concrete itself is not likely to be watertight (unlike concrete depositos, which are usually proofed or screeded). Any cracks or imperfections in the concrete help the water to disappear.

Yes, you can strip off the tiles, and replace with fibreglass, and you'll then have a fibreglass/plastic coated pool. (Don't let anyone even think about putting a fibreglass bed under small pool tiles - it would not be successful.)

If you want to retain a mosaic tiled pool, which doesn't leak, then if the tiles themselves are still largely in place, replace any missing ones, and rake out the old grout between them. It will come out easily, if in bad condition. You may even be able to jetwash a lot of it out. (Jetwashing will also chase off any loose tiles.)

Then have the pool re-grouted with Epoxy Grout (good brand is Epostuk, by Teknokolla - a Sika company). This actually adheres like grim death to the glass tiles (and pool concrete) and is highly acid resistant. It is used in hospitals, food-preparation areas, for municipal pools. It is slow to work with (a 2-part mix; mix no more than 200g at a time), but is a stunningly durable product.
Chris

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:35 am

Hi Chria

Thanks for that excellent advice - independently exactly along the lines I had hoped for

We might just go with our gut feeling of regrouting again with the right stuff, before investing in anything more consequential, and more expensive

Thank you again

Voncent

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:04 pm

If you do decide to re-grout with the Epoxy Grout, let me know, and I'll send you a few tips on using it.
Most builders/odd-jobbers won't have used the stuff before, and it's a bit different!
Chris

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for that, and we would be very grateful when you have time, for your advice on using Epoxy Grout - either on the Message Board or as a PM

Thank you again

Best Regards

Vincent

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:44 pm

PM sent, Vinny.
Chris

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi Chris - just wondering if the Epoxy Grout, spread over the floor tiles, as well as grouting, results in a slippery bottom?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 pm

The epoxy grout should be rubber trowelled into the gaps, and then any surplus wiped off with water+sponge before it hardens - about 20 minutes max.

Any left on the tile surface with adhere and harden, and will be matt and non-slip. No worry about slippage with this stuff!
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks for that!
Cheers

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:56 pm

If anyone would like it, I have put together a Help Sheet (Word document) on using Technokolla's Epoxy Grout.
I am unable to attach Word or PDF files here, but if you PM me with your e-mail address, I'll send the document to you.
Chris

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Hello TorreDelAguila

Can you copy me into that PM got the same problem

Thank you

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:23 pm

No problem.
PM me with your email address, and I'll send you the Word document as an email attachment.
Chris

BigClock

Postby BigClock » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi Vincent,
I had a similar issue with my pool recently. I'd recommend taking the tiles off and using fiber glass instead. I did that with my pool and it worked perfectly!

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi All

It seems a long time since we started this post, and as with BigClock, our pool problems would now appear to be all solved. The local builder and his men spent a week taking off the tiles, which revealed the cracks in the thirty year old concrete. All were repaired and replastered with waterproof plaster, sealing everything, and then another local company took three days to add fibre glass sheets to the whole pool area, and sealed it with a polyester gel. We waited a week and then filled the pool (lots of water this year) and it's perfecto. Assorted grandchildren are here, the pool has been the centre of their lives for the past three weeks, and with three more weeks to go, nana and grandad are very happy.....

If anything goes wrong, then we know where the builders live, so even more content......

Heads up!

Vincent

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Should be good for another 20years+. Result.
Chris