Android tv box recommendations

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Android tv box recommendations

Postby mikewill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:16 am

Can anybody recommend an Android TV box, preferably stocked by Amazon ES.

I have just bought a Leelbox android TV box as it seems to have good reviews.. I've installed various apps including ITVHub which works perfectly , However I cant install BBCiplayer, when I try a message pops up to tell me its not compatible with this device, so I cant even get as far as downloading it.
I would be grateful if anybody can recommend a box which they know I can install both ITVHub and BBCiplayer ?
Thank you in advance.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Android tv box recommendations

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:00 am

Amazon Fire TV, together with a smart dns. You need to order it on Am....uk, delivered to a UK address.
Chris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 am

I've been using a T95Z Plus android box for the last year or so. I've had a few others and this is the best one so far. Have BBC, ITV, All4, tvplayer etc installed from the playstore without issue. The only app so far that wouldn't install this way is netflix. Not a problem as I downloaded it and installed with a file manager. You would also be able to do this with iPlayer etc.

You can either use a tool like raccoon to download apks from the play store, ore search for 'apkname download' as there are sites that archive APIs.
Regards

Bob

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:56 am

Thank you TorreDelAguila but I prefer a box not a stick as I use the headphone socket on the box as I need headphones to watch TV , my TV is extremely basic and doesn't have a headphone socket ...

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:37 pm

Thank you casita-bonita.

I've tried downloading through a APK, it downloads but wont open , tells me not acceptable on my phone ( even though I'm trying to do it on my android box ) Tried various different ones but still get the same message.
looked for raccoon on playstore but cant seem to find anything but games.. Its probably me as Im not at all technically minded.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:36 pm

apologies should have said that raccoon is a windows program.. Get it from here https://raccoon.onyxbits.de/

Have used it in the past successfully, but not had much need since I installed the T95Z. Create a secondary play account for use with raccoon rather than use your usual account. There is a message that flashes up with this advice.
Regards

Bob

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:03 pm

mikewill wrote:Can anybody recommend an Android TV box, preferably stocked by Amazon ES.

I have just bought a Leelbox android TV box as it seems to have good reviews.. I've installed various apps including ITVHub which works perfectly , However I cant install BBCiplayer, when I try a message pops up to tell me its not compatible with this device, so I cant even get as far as downloading it.
I would be grateful if anybody can recommend a box which they know I can install both ITVHub and BBCiplayer ?
Thank you in advance.

Is iplayer available in Spain? I thought all BBC content was blocked unless you have a smart DNS

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:12 pm

I have a VPN built into my router...
The problem isn't that BBC iPlayer won't work it's that it won't download

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Fire Tv is the best. You could buy a stick but fire TV is a box.
It’s an Android based box but the apps you want are built for it whereas apps for Android tend to be built for small screens.it’s also possible to download Kodi onto it.
Try downloading Iplayer from Google play on your PC. That’s how I used to do it. You sign in on windows in Google then navigate to the Google play section and you tell it which device you want it downloaded to.
One of the reason many people don’t like mucking about with Android boxes is that although it can be more flexible, it’s not so user friendly once set up. Updates which have to be done manually and air remotes are couple of things I didn’t like either.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm

So say you got the message "its not compatible with this device".
BBC iPlayer needs at least Android 4.1
What version of Android does your Leelbox have?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi. ..
My leelbox is an Android 8.1

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:48 pm

OK.
Is your leelbox registered as being in Spain? And are you trying to download iPlayer, from Playstore via a UK registered Gmail account?
You can always download it onto a compatible device, your Android phone or whatever. Extract the .apk file and then install it, from the .apk file onto your leelbox.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Hola

For the past few years I have bought IPTV streaming boxes from https://www.entertainmentbox.com/ - usual disclaimer - I have no interest in the site except as a satisfied user.

Currently using a T8-V and more than satisfied

Davexf

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:49 am

gerryh wrote:OK.
Is your leelbox registered as being in Spain? And are you trying to download iPlayer, from Playstore via a UK registered Gmail account?
You can always download it onto a compatible device, your Android phone or whatever. Extract the .apk file and then install it, from the .apk file onto your leelbox.
Cheers
Gerry
Hi Gerry.
I'm sorry I'm not at all technically minded..
My box was bought in Spain. apart from that I don't think I've registered anything.. my play store is accessed with a Hotmail.com account.
All the other BBC apps will install with no problem its only BBCIplayer that I get the not compatible with this device message .
I've got BBCIplayer on my android phone, but I haven't got a clue how to extract the apk file and transfer it to the box
Any help with this would be appreciated ..
Thanks

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:09 am

If you go on to the BBC iPlayer website, it lists the devices that iPlayer is straightforwardly compatible with.
Chris