“Expats” or “Immigrants”

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Stevemul
Resident

“Expats” or “Immigrants”

Postby Stevemul » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Interesting new post on this website where a poster describes himself as an “ expat”.
Searching the site for the word “ expat” I see a South African also describing himself as a “ South African expat”
Why do we tend to describe ourselves as “ expats” but describe others as “ immigrants”
I have never heard of a “ Polish expat” or an “ Indian expat”.
Just asking......

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: “Expats” or “Immigrants”

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:29 pm

I wrote about travel insurance for expats because that's how the UK tends to refer to us British who have moved abroad (I Googled 'travel insurance for expats' in order to find a UK company who will cover me).

We could be referred to as emigrants by the UK, although expatriate also has the same meaning, ie someone who doesn't live in/someone who has left their native home country. I think expat just seems to be a term used more commonly by the Brits.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:06 pm

Like it or not, we're all immigrants!!

Expat is only used by people to imply superiority. Comes from a bygone era. Wouldn't want to be associated with black people arriving in Spain via rubber dingy - oh the shame!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Nonsense! There's no intention of superiority and my original post seems to have disappeared but I mentioned that there may be a negative connotation with the word immigrant because we are getting used to seeing the word "illegal" in front of it.

So Jhonie is trying to provoke an argument here, but I have no problem with being called an immigrant and I think Wicksey has put it very well. These black people, as you put it, are illegally trying to enter another country so slightly different to say the least. Let's face it you can put the word "illegal" in front of expat and you wouldn't be far wrong either in some cases, the difference being the came here legally but then didn't comply with the law of the country the legally entered.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:04 pm

People who live here without documentation are illegal immigrants, whether they are black white or brown.

One explanation I have seen is that the difference between Expats and immigrants is that Expats (in the traditional sense) are working/living in a foreign country with the intention to return to their home country eventually. Immigrants are foreigners who go to live/work with the intention of staying permanently.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Not many immigrants return home ever but a very high percentage of expats eventually return home

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Then of course there is "legal alien"...

Better call the police.

anyroads

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:50 pm

costakid wrote:Not many immigrants return home ever but a very high percentage of expats eventually return home
The NHS is calling them back home ( where they will have "immigrants" looking after them ! )

anyroads

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:12 pm

El Cid wrote:People who live here without documentation are illegal immigrants, whether they are black white or brown.

One explanation I have seen is that the difference between Expats and immigrants is that Expats (in the traditional sense) are working/living in a foreign country with the intention to return to their home country eventually. Immigrants are foreigners who go to live/work with the intention of staying permanently.

Sid
Hola

In conversation last year with a friend who has a house opposite mine, but only comes over a couple of time a year, Sid's description of the difference is exactly what we came up with. Whilst my intention is not to die here, I will call myself an "ex-pat". And to stop further discussion on my health, I have no idea where or when I will die but as long as I am enjoying life here, then I'll stay for as long as they will have me.

Davexf

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 pm

In my opinion the full term would be "ex patriate" mean someone who is either temporarily or permanently absent from his country of origin, as some have said it's an old fashioned term and probably fifty years out of date !!