Thinking of buying in Andalucia...

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Thinking of buying in Andalucia...

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Well said as always gordon. Most important thing to me is to visit at different times of year and at different times of day. Go as many times as you can if you find somewhere you like.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:50 pm

El Cid wrote:I totally disagree about La Herradura. It is a perfectly normal Spanish town in winter and to say it is a ghost town is absolute rubbish. 90% of the restaurants are open, and those that are closed are usually taking a well earned holiday and they reopen within a few weeks..

Parking in summer can be difficult but they have just opened an additional 880 parking spaces in and around the town. In the centre it is a parking meter zone which usually means you can find a spot with a bit of patience. Almuñécar is exactly the same with regard to parking and in the winter it is no more vibrant that La Herradura. Both are lovely locations but the bay in La Herradura is far more attractive than Almuñécar. Incidentally the busy summer season lasts only 6 weeks from about now until the end of August. By the 1st of September, in both towns, the tourists (predominantly Spanish) just disappear.

Almuñécar is far better for shopping but there are adequate supplies in La Herradura. La Herradura has its own municipal market with at least 10 stalls open 6 days a week. That’s more than Nerja which doesn’t have a market at all.

Having lived there for 18 years I think my opinion is well founded in facts.

Sid
DIdn't mean to dis the place. I just find it a bit soulless in winter. But probably not if you live there. Yes the bay is the best part of the place, also some pleasant restaurants.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 am

Thank you Elusive. :thumbup:

Based on my experience and observations I feel that it's so important to get the 'location' correct , to suit individuals needs now and in the future.
I've watched so many people being mislead into making the wrong choices, and taking the advice of 'friends' and letting their hearts rule the situation rather than their heads.
Buying a property in Spain is quite complex, not the actual process but rather the correct decisions taking in so many considerations about specific personal needs and requirements.
For instance I was recently talking to someone who has been guided by having enjoyed some fantastic holidays staying with friends, so they've copied exactly the type of home and location, which in my opinion was a bad idea, holidays are so different to actually living permanently.
I'm sure that they are already regreting their decision after only a short time, and it's not easy to sell quickly in Spain so they are going to have to live with their mistake for some considerable time.
So my advice would be to rent for the short term and experience the 'Spanish lifestyle' before committing to anything !
However, don't leave it too long, in some areas property is starting to move and the better properties will soon disappear, leaving only the 'unwanted', lots of work and difficult to sell on.
Anyway Good Luck to anyone contemplating the 'Spanish Experience', it's worked well for me, but not for everyone so please make sure that you do your homework... :wave:
Regards,
Gordon

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:58 am

Has the Nerja market closed? I thought they still had a market.

As for La Herradura I like the place but it wouldn’t be for me to live there. I have been in winter and I found it very very quiet. There are some very good restaurants for quite a small town.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:36 pm

BENIDORM wrote:...and it's not easy to sell quickly in Spain so they are going to have to live with their mistake for some considerable time.
Not to mention the quite considerable costs involved in buying and then possibly selling again.
Slightly off topic, but some younger relatives (niece & hubby) are buying a holiday "bungalow" at a small resort on Fuertaventura (are there any large ones?) after having a couple of enjoyable holidays there. Based on our own experience and knowledge, we can't find any sensible reason whatsoever for them to do so, which makes it very difficult to comment on their decision - especially as they never even bothered to ask our thoughts before commiting themselves. Hopefully it will be everything they dream of - but..... :?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Theres no indoor market in nerja. Outside one on tues

With your experience you would have thought you would be the first person you would go to. Dont really see the point buying something as a young person if you are lucky enough to have that sort of cash lieing around. Normally they end buying some tiny place up in torrevieja area that costs next to nothing and will prob never increase. people who dont have much to start with and could use the money for something much more worth while .i guess its the next brit obession of telling everyone you have a "villa" in spain.

When theres so much of the world to see why would you want to keep to the same place. I can understand those coming upto retirement and thinking of spending alot or all of your time there.now theres also the option of winter lets what have become very popular.why have the hassle of buying if you can rent for 4-5 months to escape the cold.But all the holiday home ownership for one is pushing people out of villages etc who want to live there full time but cant find anywhere to rent cause all the northern europeans are buying up holiday homes that are left empty for 11 months of the year or southerns who sold off grannies council house for 300k and now think they are something they arent.
Last edited by elusive on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 am

Gordon, you are right as usual. exactly what I would say. Although when we bought in the 90's we had never even been to Spain before, but at least we had no preconceptions or based it on holidays here.

The difference then was that a property here was a fraction of the cost of a UK one, and you could buy a little village house for the price of a decent second hand car. It's a bit different now as property here seems to cost at least the same as in the UK so people often use most of their equity from the sale of the British home in order to buy here.

The market does seem to be on the move a bit more now. Houses that have been for sale for years are selling and there's a lot of building going on again along the coast.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:53 am

Wicksey,
It's always interesting to read your views on all matters, I know that your comments are based on your personal experiences and very valid and the comments of others such as Miro are I'm sure very helpful to anyone on the 'move'.

I know that some people are put off by adverse reports about buying in Spain or any other 'foreign' destination, but it really has to be a personal choice and provided the obvious problem factors are duly noted I see no reason why a good life can't be enjoyed, for some not forever, but it should be seen as another exciting chapter in our short lives.

Regards,
Gordon

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Sid,

Nerja doesnt have a market any more ? It was massive last time I was there, near mercadona, on the entrance from torrox costa - nerja side just as you go over the new bridge ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Nerja has not had a proper food market for years. They do have the usual rubbish flea markets weekly but nothing that compares to the daily food markets in Almuñécar or La Herradura or most other towns.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:03 am

Miro wrote:
BENIDORM wrote:...and it's not easy to sell quickly in Spain so they are going to have to live with their mistake for some considerable time.
Not to mention the quite considerable costs involved in buying and then possibly selling again.
Slightly off topic, but some younger relatives (niece & hubby) are buying a holiday "bungalow" at a small resort on Fuertaventura (are there any large ones?) after having a couple of enjoyable holidays there. Based on our own experience and knowledge, we can't find any sensible reason whatsoever for them to do so, which makes it very difficult to comment on their decision - especially as they never even bothered to ask our thoughts before commiting themselves. Hopefully it will be everything they dream of - but..... :?
I once visited Fuertaventura, I would rather castrate myself with garden shears and dip the remains in burning tar than return. It's the most soulless place I've visited in the Canaries. I have never found a single item of interest there !

On the other hand I have no idea why you think they should have asked your thoughts about this subject !

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:07 am

Not everywhere is desirable..agree with Al regards Fuertaventura although there will be some who think its wonderfull..each to their own

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Manchesteral wrote: On the other hand I have no idea why you think they should have asked your thoughts about this subject !
No reason I suppose - but I didn't really say they should have asked our opinion first; only that it's difficult to comment when they ask us what we think after they've done it. If they had asked before, we would have given our honest thoughts, which may or may not have made a difference to their own thought process. What we think is probably not what they wanted to hear, however, and is irrelevant now anyway, so all we can do is make the right noises and hope that they don't end up regretting anything that could have been avoided.
At least for now, they seem happily convinced that Fuertaventura is paradise on Earth, and that they've bought themselves a little slice of it!! As Pamela says: each to their own!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi All

Quick note to say, I am visiting Almuencar next week to look at some apartments. After doing a fair amount of research, it looks like a nice place and I have spoken with people who actually come from the town (or very nearby) and have good things to say about it.

So we will see what happens. Thanks for all the info and advice, I am sure I will come back with more questions.

Planning to sort out NIE and bank account when I am there, too.

The adventure begins! :)

lewiswhite

Postby lewiswhite » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 am

I'm from America and I am thinking of moving to this beautiful place. Can anyone help me out here how is this place and how to purchase a home here ?
I'm glad I found this forum, So much information about Andalucia. Link removed by moderator. Rule 2-1
Last edited by Beachcomber on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:31 pm

Lewis - welcome to the forum. Do you know which part of Andalucia you want to move to? Perhaps you meant Almuencar?
Take a look at various online property market websites first to give you an idea of prices, what you get for what you want to pay! Most of them will have the option to do the value in Dollars if that helps you get a feel for things. A google search will soon set you on the right path. Property for sale - and then name the area, town, etc you are thinking of.

Liam6544
Tourist

Postby Liam6544 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:37 am

There is nothing to even think about, decide on this act as soon as possible! It is necessary not to leave the comfort zone, but to build and search for it yourself, do not forget that you are trying for your parents too.
As people said before me, there are a lot of factors to be considered here and for each they are different. For a start, talk to your parents and let them describe the perfect place, fantasize, and you are already picking up something closer to reality based on this :)

ramondunya

Postby ramondunya » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:41 pm

I would steer clear of urbanisations better to be independent than have housing associations dictating to you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Totally agree but it’s not as simple as that. If there even a very few house/apartments the law says you must form an urbanisation with all the petty rules that the committee decides. Just read the recent thread about having to dig up your garden.
If you want an Urb free property then it usually means a large house in its own large grounds well away from any other dwellings and that is usually expensive! There are probably exceptions to this but by and large that is the case.

Dominic Lopecas
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dominic Lopecas » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Hay ED, I have read your article with interest, and on my opinion on experience in Spain there is few points for your consideration
1. The only bank to use is BBVA internet account it is free .
2. Never ever buy a products from the Banks, if you need insurance por your property go direct to, MAFRE, ALIANCE or Axe, any other insurance in Spain keep away from them.
3. Good area to look for a property is ALORA, CAMPANILLAS, these areas do have a large English community, and do have trains services to Malaga every hour, also connection to trains going to Malaga airport from centro Malaga every 20 minutes either direction.
4. If you buy a property be aware it must be a free-hold, never ever buy a property that does have Community services charges, you don't know what you get into and in Spain there is not a Political mechanism that defence the abuse of their consumes .

5. The house in Spain does have anual tax, (IBI) the cost depende of the area and the value of the property the cost goes from €398. for a property within €130.000 up to €185.000 .

6. Water is on a Meter and you pay as consuming, but most water companies do have a minimum monthly charge of €8. meter rental and the same applied for the Gas or Electricity suppliers they charge you monthly meter rental these are in the regions of €12. a month.
7. You need to have a insurance for the property the form one of the mentioned companies is in the region of €235. per anon.
There is not other cost that you have to worry about.