ITV changes recently (odb reader)

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

ITV changes recently (odb reader)

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 am

I went to ITV with a customers 2009 ford focus, and at the end (i was in row 6 at guadalhorce, so it would likely be done first in the other rows)

and when i got to the "check lights / exaust section" the guy plugged in a bluetooth odb reader.

they have changed the computer software - it shows the rpm, and the engine temperature on the screen, and checks for fault codes.

nice to see it didnt take too long to start something that they talked about
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Trooperman
Resident

Re: ITV changes recently (odb reader)

Postby Trooperman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 am

Wonder what they'll do with cars that don't use a ODB readers....like my Land Rover I believe?
nil illegitimum carborundum

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:41 am

Doubt whether they will lay in the adaptors and software for many older vehicles with non-standard diagnostic connections.
Will see at the end of this month when a Citroen with a 30-pin PSA socket gets there...
Chris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Think I read somewhere that they use ODB to see if the car's standard firmware has been replaced with supposedly better 3rd party code.
Regards

Bob

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Is remapping legal in Spain as it is here?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Plenty of companies advertise this service on facebook, which doesn't necessarily mean it's legal. But you know what spain is like with any modification to a car.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Some of these mods can be removed in minutes and don’t show up in the dealers diagnostics.

I have been tempted, but as my car came with a 4 year warranty, I am loathe to take a chance on it, and of course your insurance would be invalidated.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Just tell the insurers.....if they don't like it some other insurer will, I've declared mine!. It's legal here ,just wondering if it is in Spain. Why does an ITV need to scan diagnostics anyway?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:27 pm

...to check whether the factory-fitted emission controls are working.
Chris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:32 pm

Or whether they are deleted/bypassed lol. Good idea really I suppose.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:35 pm

One report I read said that they would identify chipped cars.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Sid, is a remap illegal in Spain?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:44 pm

No idea, but you don’t see too many ads for it. There are ads for OBD11 stuff and VDCS but these do not affect performance, just let you change options in the car software to unlock options you don’t have.

Sid

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 am

I've used Carista (the poor man's VAGCOM / OBDEleven) to set my mirrors to fold up immediately when the car locks instead of having to hold a button down. First world problems, eh? I doubt it would fail any ITV for that and although I don't doubt some would try, I'd be hard pushed to see the manufacturer successfully arguing that I invalidated the warranty by activating an option that they themselves included at the factory.

I've read a lot about any sort of modification being frowned on in Spain, but there are a healthy number of customised 4x4s local to me - massive wheels, raised up, metal bumpers with winches etc - so there must be a way to get the paperwork through.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:40 am

The ITV stations are equipped with a limited OBD setup. It has not (yet) the capability to look into airbag, ABS and EML faults that can also be causes for failure. It is only for emissions testing alongside the pipe up the jacksy (whose data is compared to expected results) and reads codes without doing anything fancy. It will also be deployed only on Euro5 and Euro6 emissions-compliant vehicles manufactured 2006 onwards. I was slightly surprised that my Modus was not hooked up in its July test but, as a 2005 model, it wouldn't have been in any case. I haven't seen it in action, but it sounds a few steps down from my generic jobby in the glove box, never mind Opcom, CanClip etc.

Unless some doofus performance enhancer's shed has left "EGR BYPASSED! DPF SMASHED + VACUUMED!" codes lying around your ECU, I'd not drop my Max Power mag in horror. The thing just sounds like it adds a bit of background to the numbers the pipe's getting and generates some P0xx numbers. The new bit is that, since Sept, the car can be rejected on the basis of an OBD flag alone without having to continue with a standard emissions test. That could catch out some poorly-done tinkering, but it's purely a fault-reader; it cannot interrogate the system and look for changes made (e.g., getting an upspec model's Cruise stalk and activating it). That's according to a director of TUV Rheinland, which operates 25 ITV stations, in an interview with Autopista in Sept.

I got a bit concerned that I'd be caned for replacing my hideous orange-eyebrow front indicators with 2007 clear versions but no, so long as they were present and worked. Side-mirror switchworks wouldn't even merit a glance.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:56 am

El Cid wrote:One report I read said that they would identify chipped cars.

Sid
If a car is chipped it can be unchipped if it needs to go to a main dealer for warranty work. It is only playing with the software.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:59 am

It'll be expensive doing that every time though CK if it's a proper re map, ie set up on rolling road etc.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:24 am

I understand that in many cases, it leaves a flag in the ECU which can be picked up by the diagnostics, even after the ECU has been reset. When I was looking at one, the maunufacturers made a big point about theirs not doing that.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:33 am

It may well do Sid, I'd guess it would only matter if the car was under warranty and the dealer spotted it. I've heard a few true tales of BMW service departments in particular erasing the maps on remapped cars, leaving the owners none too happy.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:01 am

alpineSi wrote: I've read a lot about any sort of modification being frowned on in Spain, but there are a healthy number of customised 4x4s local to me - massive wheels, raised up, metal bumpers with winches etc - so there must be a way to get the paperwork through.
If it's not an authorised factory mod it will likely fail. I had this with bulls bars which had been fitted by the dealer from new. As it was not an official part it failed. The ITV station was very helpful, even called the dealer. It was necessary to get a certificate from the manufacturer and from the dealer who fitted it. It was then entered on the Ficha Tecnica.

Some people just remove the offending gear before the test, but that is risky as if Trafico stop you and the car is fitted with items not on the Ficha then there could be a problem. Oversize wheels and tyres are not allowed if they are not listed.

Sid