Multifunction printers

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Multifunction printers

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:35 pm

I think my Epson is on the way out :-( so I am looking into a replacement. As a member, I have looked on Which?, and one of their best buys is a Canon Pixma MG3650 - does anyone have/ had one of these ? Any comments ?
TIA
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Multifunction printers

Postby Enrique » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi chrissiehope,
The MG series gets my vote , have some.

One thing if you set it up for wireless , set a Static IP .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:40 pm

If, by any chance, you don't particularly need colour, then a monochrome (b/w) laser printer makes enormous sense; no ink to clog, no special paper, and available for way below €100.
Even worth looking at some colour laser printers, although cost more. After years and several inkjet Epsons, I went for a Canon colour laser LBP7780C.
Do accept the appeal of a new inkjet (coming complete with a set of inks, for less than the cost of a new set), for relative peanuts - even if an environmental disaster and a lot of hassle if you hang on to it.
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:02 pm

I have both a laser for work and an inkjet, which is for home use. I would agree that the laser is very convenient and works quicker and better so I tend to use it for more or less everything.

These days being able to connect tablets and phones with WiFi direct is really useful as well.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:40 pm

I went through a few Epsons before someone advised me that they are notorious for clogging up if not used regularly, due to the ink tubes from the cartridges to the inkjets - or something like that, anyway! I've had an HP Deskjet for a while now, which has probably lasted longer than 3 Epsons. Just another option to look at.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Forgot to mention that inkjets thrive and stave-off clogging only with regular (at the very least, weekly) use.
Laser can be left for weeks (years, even!) at a time, and always fire up first time.
Chris

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:00 am

Thanks for all the input - the Epson seems to be OK at the moment, but I suspect it's just biding it's time ;-). Looking back, I think I got it about 3 years ago, & I've certainly worked it hard since then.

I've been using generic ink since I first got it, and altho' the 'You're not using our ink' whinge was a bit irritating, it would at least grudgingly comply with a Print request ! This time, I replaced an ink, & it just wouldn't recognise any of them, even the one I'd replaced only the day before . After much switching off & on, & removing & replacing the cartridges several times, it finally began to print. It has had a few hiccups since, and everytime I press Print I hold my breath....

So I think I'll get the Canon I posted earlier (I do need colour, and can't justify the expense of a laser at the moment)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:19 am

I've had an earlier version of the Pixma for several years now, back in the UK. It's reliable, prints well and doesn't grumble if a Tesco rather than a Canon cartridge is put in. As TdA and others have pointed out, I do have to grit my teeth and pay for expensive ink costing more than a whole new special deal shebang from Tesco and throwing the Pixma in the skip. I hope that heaven will reward me with trees to hug and all the hummus I can eat.

I print everything in B+W, especially the flight and other tickets riddled with their full-colour ads puffing their sarnies and rentacars at me. Really ought to get a mono laser, and wireless is also the next must-have. My son behaved like a brat when I told him he'd have to go on the office desktop and print out from there.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:44 am

The trouble with inkjet is that the less you use them (in full colour, all jets operating*) the more prone they become to clogging.

There is also the evil software they include (Epson and some others) that can not only kick up when non-genuine catridges are fitted, but - worse - is programmed to bring the printer to a complete halt after a certain number of cartridge replacements and/or cleaning cycles. Manufacturers say this is to prevent the machine from working less than optimally, and to force taking it into a service centre. (The cost of a service would normally exceed the cost of a new machine, as it would likely involve major innards replacement.)

There is 'shutdown defeat' software available on the web, which simply allows a printer to Carry On operating, and I've used this successfully on Epson. The OE software takes built-in obsolescence to a whole new level . . . although the car manufacturers have now caught on. I'm all for essential safety servicing being done on time - but an inkjet???

* There are C,M,Y,K 'stripe' images available on the web, which, when printed, give each of the four (or six) jets a workout. Not a bad idea to print out one of these each month.
Chris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:16 am

Can you get a laser printer/copier/scanner?

I only print in b&w and my HP Deskjet is going the same way as the previous one in that it has stopped copying and will only scan if I go through the HP program I have on the computer. I have to scan items then print them as the copier doesn't work which is a pain. I know I can buy a new one cheaply but I have found that other replacement inks just don't work in this. I bought a Carrefour own make one for colour and it worked a few times then stopped probably as I so rarely used colour, but it was still 15€.

I need a wired in printer as my PC isn't wireless,and have been wondering about laser if the ink is supposed to be so much better.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:25 am

Wicksey wrote:Can you get a laser printer/copier/scanner?
Yes. A quick Google search will reveal many.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am

Hi Wicksey,

"I need a wired in printer as my PC isn't wireless"

Get a USB Wifi Adapter...........Examples

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-network ... b-adapters

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN7 ... B002SZEOLG

I've various TP-Link wifi Adapters on all my PC's.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:03 am

Wicksey wrote:

I need a wired in printer as my PC isn't wireless,and have been wondering about laser if the ink is supposed to be so much better.
Solutions would be to buy a WIFI dongle costing around 10-15 euros.

It isn't actually necessary to have internet or WIFI to work wirelessly with modern day printers. Wifi diect allows your phone or tablet to connect to the printer without a router.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:49 pm

I know I can get a dongle but I was trying to keep things simple. I never print from my phone and don't have an iPad and I didn't really want to have to spend any more money on my computer :( Buying a new printer is a pain as it is!

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Wicksey wrote:Can you get a laser printer/copier/scanner?

I only print in b&w and my HP Deskjet is going the same way as the previous one in that it has stopped copying and will only scan if I go through the HP program I have on the computer. I have to scan items then print them as the copier doesn't work which is a pain. I know I can buy a new one cheaply but I have found that other replacement inks just don't work in this. I bought a Carrefour own make one for colour and it worked a few times then stopped probably as I so rarely used colour, but it was still 15€.

For about 4 years, maybe more, I've been using an HP LaserJetPro which I got for little more than 130€ online. So much better value than an inkjet. Think I've ordered 3 HP toner cartridges from Amazon at about 65€ a pop over the years. It has USB, networking and WiFi connections, including lots of fancy-print-over-the-internet stuff which I've still never understood why I would need, and of course the ancient fax capability. It's moved house about 6 times too without complaining, definitely solidly built.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Laser represents a higher purchase cost, but
- vastly reduced cost-per-copy costs
- ability to print on vitually any paper
- instantly ready-to-print (after about 30 secs warm-up)
- no jets to clog or ink to waste; dry toner comes with each replacement drum-cartridge
- a really long life for the unit

Canon and HP are the established brands, but Brother and others are highly rated for home use.
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:59 pm

alpineSi wrote:
For about 4 years, maybe more, I've been using an HP LaserJetPro which I got for little more than 130€ online. So much better value than an inkjet. Think I've ordered 3 HP toner cartridges from Amazon at about 65€ a pop over the years. It has USB, networking and WiFi connections, including lots of fancy-print-over-the-internet stuff which I've still never understood why I would need, and of course the ancient fax capability. It's moved house about 6 times too without complaining, definitely solidly built.
Try this company for toner if you are in Spain
Cheaper than Amazon and Media Mart. Free Delivery in 2-3 days.

https://www.cartucho.es/

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks, they are definitely cheaper. We have a couple of shops like that in town though and I've always wondered about the printer kicking out an error code. I've been refusing the last firmware update just in case I do try them one day; the only thing listed on it is an improved detection of non-genuine cartridges!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:43 pm

The cartridges are genuine Brother.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Oh, for my HP the site was giving a random name like Qnomic.