New Car v Used Car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Car v Used Car

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:40 pm

10K over 4 years
247.49€ per month = 11.879€
There might have been a set up charge as well because I remember I worked out the overall saving to have been just under 200€.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Dp

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:42 pm

markwilding wrote:10K over 4 years
247.49€ per month = 11.879€
There might have been a set up charge as well because I remember I worked out the overall saving to have been just under 200€
That's crazy...so how do they make a profit ? :crazy:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:46 pm

I get regular texts offering me more money to borrow. I have always suspected it's the access to future business.
It wasn't on offer when I bought my previous car so they might found out in the end it's not worth it and discontinue it.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:51 pm

As we gleaned fron Si that car was probably advertised at an inflated RRP Mark. Are you sure yours wasn't? They will not knock a cash buyer back if they are going to get more money for the car are they. I used to sway people towards finance too at times if it benefitted the deal
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:55 pm

PCP is only like renting a property - right for some (fixed outgoings, no maintenance, possibly tax-deductible) not right for others.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:As we gleaned fron Si that car was probably advertised at an inflated RRP Mark. Are you sure yours wasn't? They will not knock a cash buyer back if they are going to get more money for the car are they. I used to sway people towards finance too at times if it benefitted the deal
Maybe but how do you know? As I said before you would need to bluff it out till the end and it's difficult if you really want to buy the car.
The previous time the same seller offered me 500€ when I paid everything up front and I couldn't get more even though I played two places one against the other. This time I got the same 500€ extra discount when I did the same and paid less overall 5 years later for the newer version so I assumed that they are not inflating the prices. Paying in cash is not an option either because large amounts have to paid by bankers draft.

And as Sid says you don't just turn up pay and the next day you have a car. There are quite long waiting times, 3 months in my case.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:42 pm

They'll make more money on the servicing down the line anyway, isn't that the same in the UK? Given how frequent car park dents and scratches are here, they probably expect you to bring it to their body shop every year. I was surprised to get the mats and warning triangles thrown in tbf, I expected that to be the last minute, "so just 150€ more to pay before you drive off".
gerrynag wrote:I guess I am someone who does not believe in a free lunch. So it's nice to see that you get all these discounts for taking out finance, but no one has actually said what the finance has actually cost.
In other words, what is the total cost of the car using finance compared to paying cash ?
You might have missed the post but I stated all our figures. Some of them don't even add up but they're quoted from the contracts! Interests and other charges included is listed as: 1,624.68, but if you look at what we have to pay back it's closer to 2k. Of that the fee to start the loan was almost 300€.
Obviously like any loan it depends on the amount you borrow, rate you're offered, and time you take to pay it off, but I don't know if there is really much variation in rates at dealers. I briefly looked into a bank loan and didn't see any benefit to doing it that way.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:55 pm

What are these cars with the huge waiting lists? I 'm taking it that they must be customer spec. factory orders?

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:What are these cars with the huge waiting lists? I 'm taking it that they must be customer spec. factory orders?
I think that's been worse this year because this summer a lot of car manufacturers slowed or shut down production until they got their cars through the new emissions standards. When we ordered the SEAT, the dealer told us production would be halted soon so we were lucky to get our order accepted. Apparently SEAT are still having problems with a couple of lines in the factory due to a shortage of engines, and our model still hasn't been put back on the website either. The new emissions standards also led to some options being ditched, so some people are getting cars late if they specified something that the other cars on the line don't have but the manufacturer takes time to honour their order. Others are getting cars with extras they didn't order, or minor trim changes they didn't ask for/want!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks again Si, you answer my questions with total honesty. Production problems then rather than demand seems to be the issue with that marque. Appreciated

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:What are these cars with the huge waiting lists? I 'm taking it that they must be customer spec. factory orders?
Sid said he had to wait six months for his while I had to wait from June til October for both of my Kias. Specifications come into it but because they are made with the same specifications in batches to keep costs down.

I Got my Seat Ibiza in days 15 years ago
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Did the showroom have no new cars in that would have suited you and that you could strike a better deal on Mark?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Obviously not otherwise I would have bought one.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Thanks again Si, you answer my questions with total honesty. Production problems then rather than demand seems to be the issue with that marque. Appreciated
Pleasure :) though I'm only repeating what I've been told or read - I don't have an inside track to the factories! There's a lengthy thread of irritated potential owners here on the Spanish Ibiza owner's site https://clubseatibiza.net/general-ibiza ... e-entrega/ and a similar one on the British one, though a lot of the irritation in both cases can probably be put down to very uncommunicative dealers!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:31 pm

markwilding wrote:Obviously not otherwise I would have bought one.
Seems to defeat the point of having a showroom then. I take it they had a demo for you to drive if you thought it was needed?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 pm

W

A new car show room isn’t Marks & Spencer. Next time I’ll give you a call to go along with me to help me get exactly what I want off the shelve at a massively discounted price.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 pm

I think you'd benefit from it.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:47 pm

And you have my number :mrgreen:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:06 pm

I don’t think so.

A few posters has told their experiences of buying a new car in Spain on finance and you have chosen not to believe us.
As the thread is asking the benefits of buying a new or second hand car in Spain, maybe you could tell us your last experience if any, of buying a new car in Spain so we can all benefit from your expertise.