Netflix USA

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Chunky Monky
Resident

Netflix USA

Postby Chunky Monky » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:17 pm

My knowledge of the Netflix system is practically nil.

I can log in to Netflix through my daughter's account in UK and it works very well.

I understand that House of Cards Series 6 has started in America on 2 Nov 2018 but is not yet available in the UK. We were wanting to start watching the program soonest.

I have SmartyDNS/VPN but when I set it to a server in the US, Netflix detects it and will not play any programs. It is the same with the VPN and DNS.

Would I need to pay for a US Netflix account to get access to it? In that case it wouldn't be worth it. TIA.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Netflix USA

Postby firsttango » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:41 pm

It was released worldwide last Friday 2nd Nov, I watched 3 episodes at my daughters house in the U.K on her Netflix U.K account on the Sat and Sunday and watched the remaining 5 episodes on my Spanish Netflix account back in Spain this week. So absolutely no idea why you cant get it. Maybe trying to piggyback your daughters U.K account using Smarty Netflix somehow recognises this and doesn't update its new releases as quick as normal? But if as you say you want to watch it "soonest" then maybe sign up for the Spanish Netflix FREE month trial which will give you more than enough time to watch the final ever 8 episodes then cancel your subscription. BTW on the Free month you do get access to the 4k output if you go for the Premium streaming plan.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi, Thanks for that. I've just checked again and still no series 6.

I don't know how Netflix are detecting the fact I am trying to use Smarty's VPN.

Another odd thing is that there is a series called Money Heist. My daughter has seen this in English in the UK but when I play it here it is only in Spanish. I've checked the Audio & Subtitles and there is no English option here in Spain. It was months ago that I first tried to see this series.

As I say, I'm not really up on the ways of Netflix so it is a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe I should have mentioned I watch Netflix on Android devices, I don't know if that makes any difference.

I'll take a look at Spanish Netflix.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm

No idea why you are having problems, but we watched Money Heist months ago here in Spain when we piggybacked our daughters U.K Netflix account via our Firestick Netflix app. It was and still is in English language. I have just checked as I still piggyback her U.K account on the Firestick and House of Cards IS available now. Since we recently upgraded to a new LG Oled TV and that includes Netflix App I took out a subscription to the Spanish Netflix (if you do you can change the language to English for the interface and prog descriptions in your account details), so we can now watch on all our devices with out affecting her.
Also Netflix are pretty wise to VPN's but seem not so much in regard to DNS change.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 pm

And remember that if you try the Free Netflix Spain month trial you wont need your VPN so turn it off and dont have it on when you Sign up

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:45 pm

OK Thanks.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:09 pm

Because of the change in EU rules, you can watch what you subscribe to anywhere else in Europe. The problem with that is that with Netflix no matter where you are in Europe , if you subscibe in Spain, you will get the Spanish service.
This happened to me in Ireland where I could only watch the Spanish version and I had the same problem trying to watch money heist with English subtitles.
The Spanish version is different and doesnt offer an English dubbed version or subtitles but the UK and The US version does. What works for me is Smart DNS which allows me to access Netflix USA.

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 pm

A lot of VPN suppliers are blocked by Netflix including Smarty's. Setting up your router with the Smarty DNS settings should work, it did when I used to use them.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:53 pm

I've got the free trial with Netflix Spain, at first the Money Heist program had it in English but later it reverted to Spanish only. Most other programs I have tried play in English.
House of Cards is still not showing Series 6, not even in Spanish.

I uninstalled the Netflix app (that I was using for the UK account) and re-installed it before signing up for Netflix Spain. I set the app Account Language to English.

One thing I don't understand is if you use Netflix USA, do you have to have a subscription with them?

Would setting up the router for Smarty DNS be any different to using the Smarty app on the tablet? - it makes no difference anyway.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Smarty DNS will usually not work and Netflix will probably not load unless you switch off Netflix in its settings
As I posted earlier Smart DNS works with the US version

Change your DNS settings as normal to Smart DNS, go into my account, click the regions link, chose Netflix on button which sets it to the US Netflix.
Close the Netflix app properly and restart it and you should get the US version even if you pay for the Spanish version.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks guys, I'll muck about with it over the weekend.

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:45 pm

I had no problems with Netflix using Smarty DNS about 6 weeks ago. Had been using Smart DNS after the problems with BBC iPlayer on Smarty but changed back out of interest to see if there were any problems with iPlayer. Had no problems with any services but reverted to Smart DNS as I preferred using it, although I think Smarty's VPN is faster.,

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:57 pm

I have finally got my problem with Netflix sorted out.

Using Smarty DNS I set
Websites Region: USA
DNS Server: Europe
I had to go to Settings, Apps, Netflix, Storage - Clear Cash and Clear Data. Go back and Force Stop.
Turn phone completely off, then turn on again. Make sure Smarty DNS is running and set to USA.
Restart Netflix and I am connected to the USA site!

I can get it through my daughter's UK account so I don't need the subscription for Netflix Spain.

Thanks for the help guys.