Has anyone ever modified their residencia details (including nationality)?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Has anyone ever modified their residencia details (including nationality)?

Postby alpineSi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:05 pm

I was looking at EX18 again, the one we used after 90 days to apply for temporary residency, and noticed a box on it for modifications with regard to the passport/identity document used. Does this mean that we should update our registration with each passport renewal? I've never heard or seen any talk of that.

My reason for looking at it again is that I'm going to try and submit a modification in order to change my registered nationality from British to Irish. I've always had both and tended to just pick up a passport at random, but received a letter this week about possibly losing my vote in the forthcoming EU and municipal elections so as things seem to be getting steadily worse in London I've decided to jump ship. Anyone tried this yet?

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Has anyone ever modified their residencia details (including nationality)?

Postby Free at Last » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:01 pm

I haven't changed my nationality, but I have amended my resident registration twice, once when I renewed my passport and once when I moved house to update the address. My husband just amended his once, changing both the passport number and the address at the same time. The fee payable is the same as the one to register as resident, was €10.70 when we did the last amendment in 2017.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:31 pm

This was talked about quite alot on cab spain a while back interms of people wanting to change the nationalilty from british to irish. They said and i believe some had tried and had the same issue that they had had to apply for residencia again from scratch. Ie proving healthcare etc so meaning they had to pay for private healthcare as they were not entiltled to an S1irish eqivilant.they said it wasnt as simple as just ticking a box on a form. Of course this is spain so who knows what one office may do compaired to another

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Since changes of nationality are even less likely than changes of gender, I very much doubt that any system would be designed to cope with that, hence the “go back to start” option would be the easy solution.

Sid

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:13 pm

In theory one remains a foreigner though, and the same individual regardless of what type of foreigner so it could be as easy as updating two lines in the database. I don't know of course, hence the question. I'll have to try and explain it all to the police here, I'm sure that'll be fun. Not many foreigners in these parts so people can be quite inexperienced with the relevant bureaucracy but more open to some things (and we don't have to make appointments or turn up at 7am and take a ticket for example!)

Luckily I don't need to prove any healthcare as I'm employed by a Spanish business, so that's one less hurdle.

I'll report back when I get round to it - I have to wait at least until they get back to me with something else I applied for with compulsas of the British passport.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:18 pm

As I understand it, you can keep your British citizenship if you become an Irish citizen, i.e. have dual citizenship. Therefore, surely can't you then keep your residencia the same ?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Gerry - I think Alpine already has the Irish citizenship, as dual British/Irish now. He wants to change his residencia in Spain to show him as Irish, not British, so that when Brexit happens he will still be an EU citizen, which us Brits will no longer be ...
So the same person, with the same residencia qualifications, and not having moved house or anything more complicated, just wants to change his current residencia to being Irish national, rather than British - how complicated can the Spanish admin make that??!!
Good luch Alpine!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Gasman wrote:how complicated can the Spanish admin make that??!!!
I think you know the answer to that by now!

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:45 pm

:crazy: :crazy: :clap:
:D :wave:

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Done it today! The was some initial resistance, but after making a few million phone calls, the nice police agent printed a new green residencia card with Irish nationality instead of British. We had some debate over whether Belfast is in the UK or Ireland too, but opted for UK because I have a UK birth certificate and it would probably have confused things too much if nothing matched up!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Was just gonna say there was a post on CAB spain today from someone who has changed.guess that was you. Congrats. Glad you got it sorted

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:31 pm

'twas indeed :wave: Thanks!