Medical Card

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Medical Card

Postby Lyric » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:39 pm

The Management's Medical card has ceased to function.
Can anyone tell me the procedure for replacement i.e. where to go etc.
How long does it take ?
She seems to have to pay full price for everything, is there a mechanism for claiming back that paid in excess of pensioner rate ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Medical Card

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Go to your local medical centre and get them to check out the card and see what the problem is. If there is a problem they will tell you how to sort it out.

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Also, did you ask at the farmacia if perhaps the medicines, that she usually has on her medical car (which they stuff into their computer so they can dish the meds out) have run out . Even medicines that you are going to be on for life have a termination date on the initial prescription, so you have to go back to your doctor for him/her to start them off again. We have not yet been able to just ask for a repeat prescription - you do have to go to the GP and get it re-inserted into the card by him on his computer.
If she has been paying over the odds for a pensioner, perhaps this is the reason - in which case put it down to experience though it is a shame the farmacy did not it point out , as I think the Centro Salud would consider it her fault for not getting her prescription updated .... however it is certainly worth asking at the Centro Salud ... ours has a Social Worker (Trabadora Social) in her own little office who deals with problems relating to the cards, changes, malfunctions etc. But ask at the front desk first - they can at least check that the card is functioning normally eg for making appointments etc

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Must have been a problem at the Pharmacia. They had tried the card in all their readers and assumed the card was faulty, however today at the same Pharmacia it worked perfectly. However I did establish the course of action should a card be lost, broken etc. They can be replaced at either a Pharmacia or your Centro de Salud.
If a pharmacia you need to prove identity and address, so it is better at the Centro de Salud where they already have it. Probably still need your Passaporte though.
They say it should take no more than a week !