IBI

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

IBI

Postby Lyric » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:06 pm

I have just heard of that rate for a two bed house on one of the older urbs in Nerja is more than 2,000€ per.
Is there an age related reduction on this as there would be in the UK (my only other reference)
Just curious.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: IBI

Postby Miro » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 am

Age of the property, or age of the owner/occupier? Can't speak for other areas, but where I'm now living in the UK there's no discount for either.
€2000 does sound pretty hefty (presume you were going to add per "year"). There may be discounts (subvenciones) for full time residents (on the padrón), and/or those on low incomes - you would have to check with Nerja ayto.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:56 am

It's not me as I wouldn't want to live in Nerja, but the lady is 74 and has rejected a house due to the IBI.
It's a few years ago now but my mother did not pay C.T. on her flat. She was a basic pensioner on Pension Credit and I applied for and got a full rebate of Council Tax. Her savings were not taken into account.
This is probably 20 years ago in Salford.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:36 am

Sure that isnt the community fee? As some of capistranos charge that. Must be be huge house for that price

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:19 am

I agree with elusive, it could well be the community fees.

My 94 year old aunt in the UK does not pay Council Tax on her house, but that is not due to her age but to the fact that she is on Pension Credit, not having built up sufficient NI contributions to qualify for a basic State Pension as she had to give up work to care for my grandfather for many years (classic case of the unmarried daughter at home caring for elderly parents) and by the time he died she was only able to return to work for a couple of years before reaching retirement age herself - and that was when people were forced to retire at 65. Savings were taken into account indirectly, because she had to have under 16k in savings to qualify for Pension Credit in the first place.

Some local authorities in Spain may give discounts to pensioners, it is something decided at a local level in Spain, but I can't say I know of any. My own Council brought in a system of subvenciones after the last revision of catastral values to mitigate against the large increase in IBI which resulted from that, and I benefited from a 40% reduction in my bill for nearly 10 years until I sold that property (but had to declare the amount of discount received as a benefit on my Spanish tax return). When I moved to a new property, the discount ceased.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am

Now it might be community, it is coming to me third hand, it is a two bed house on, I believe, "Jardins de Nerja"

Community fees were 1200€ or so on my apartment in Frigiliana. (one bed) but it went on floor area and it was the second largest,

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Jardins is only a small complex but has a nice pool and gardens so it could be quite high to combat the lack of houses on the complex?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Yes that was the case with our Frigi apartment, only 14 apartments in the block but two pools to be looked after. The charge also included the water.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:27 pm

You still get CT reduction on low incomes in UK with cap on savings. Also in UK you get a 25% reduction if you live alone