Moving to UK-

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Re: Moving to UK-

Postby fyfin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:48 pm

With Movistar I found the easiest way is to communicate via Facebook messenger. They always answer fairly quickly and in English too.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Red Dragon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Red Dragon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:42 pm

On the subject of Endesa, could anyone advise if they charge a fee to change over a contract please? We have this week sold our Spanish property and I do not know if we will be charged a fee to leave. I am assuming the buyer's lawyer will facilitate informing Endesa of the incoming owner taking over. Thank you.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am

My understanding is that you should cancel your agreement/contract and the buyer will start a new contract, you really don't want to have your name left on any contracts etc.

You shouldn't have to pay any fees, if they do try to charge ,then resist, I would suggest that you cancel immediately any standing orders/ direct debits you have with your bank regarding bills from Endesa, but it would be better to speak with them, I believe they have an English speaking contact number.

Regards,
Gordon

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:03 pm

There's no fee for cancelling / transferring your contract - although the incoming owner may be asked to pay a fianza (security deposit).
If the buyer doesn't want to have the supply interrupted, it's in their interest to have it switched to their name immediately. If they fail to do so, you cannot ask Endesa to change the supply into the buyer's name - only the buyer (or their lawyer) can do that. So unless you know they have done so, you should if possible take a meter reading yourself and, as Benidorm says, notify Endesa ASAP that you wish to terminate your contract: you should make sure the contract does not remain in your name. You can ask them to come out and take a meter reading, but I wouldn't have much confidence in them to do so.
When we sold in 2017 I visited their office with the new owner, to (successfully) transfer the supply to her name (no fee involved), and gave them an actual meter reading for the day of transfer so that they could issue a final invoice. Endesa however proved utterly incompetent in dealing with that part of the procedure, and seemed completely incapable of figuring out how much to charge me. Despite fully intending to pay whatever I owed (it was about €20 by my calculations), I gave up trying, and no doubt they're still trying to work it out 18 months later!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Red Dragon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Red Dragon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Thank you for your advice, which I have taken, and the utilities have been easily finalised.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Red Dragon,
Good to hear that you have resolved your problem. :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:36 pm

I started this thread almost 2 years ago and it has had more than the usual amount of readers / followers, which surprised me.

It does prove to me that 'Moving back to UK' must have been a serious consideration for many expats and I now wonder how many have actually returned ?
Also I have to ponder on how many returners actually regret returning and I know some will be prepared to give an honest answer and others will defend their decisions in the same way that they defended their original decision to move to Spain or other countries.
Of course I'm aware that many will have returned because of health or personal reasons, but I think that it would be very interesting to long term residents here and of course anyone contemplating moving either way , to be given honest answers, and I would really like to hear from anyone who is prepared to answer the above questions.
I'm sure that anyone who has lived in Spain will actually miss something about the country and people, but would it be enough if it was possible to contemplating returning?
Miro has always gived very concise and helpful advice and opinions about his return and I'm sure that his information will have helped many people.

I look forward to being 'updated'... :thumbup:
Regards,
Gordon.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:50 pm

I'm sure that anyone who has lived in Spain will actually miss something about the country and people, but would it be enough if it was possible to contemplating returning?

I have happy memories of Spain, sitting on the terrace after midnight reading and listening to music, eating at local chiringuito with my feet in the sand, just snapshots really. Lots of lovely memories. I would maybe consider going back if it were like the late 90"s but Spain changed and I suppose so did I. It wasn't a place I wanted to grow old in. Still like to visit but only for short catch ups, still get a pang if we pass the turn off to our old home (now on sale again) feel as if I should be unlocking the door and putting my feet up :lol: Although I always get sentimental about most of the houses we have lived in. I remember when we lived in kingston and felt emotional when the new owners cut down some trees. I started to do a detour so I didn't have to drive past it.

We closed our bank accounts en route to the airport and left everything in the hands of our trusted Lawyer, no unexpected suprises. Don't regret going but don't regret leaving either.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 pm

BENIDORM wrote:(some) will defend their decisions (to return) in the same way that they defended their original decision to move to Spain
:wink: I met many of the latter during our time in Spain. I also met plenty who defiantly declared that they would never return - even though it was sometimes obvious that it would be in their best interests if they did (e.g. elderly pensioners living alone on a state pension), or was difficult to understand in what ways they felt their life since moving to Spain had improved (e.g. middle aged couples working black 7 days a week in bars or cleaning jobs, earning a pittance while renting a crummy studio). Not that it's my place to judge, of course!

I know a couple (of couples) who returned before us - to Birmingham & Blackpool. Both had different reasons (financial, health); both seem happy to have returned, have no regrets, nor seem to feel any need to defend their decisions. I haven't heard of any more who we knew that have left since we did, although I hear rumours about a few who intend to (again, for varying reasons).
As they say, it's a small world, and a couple of weeks ago I met a chap at our local leisure centre who lived for eight years until 2016 in Andalucia (Albox), and returned for health reasons. Again, he seemed genuinely happy to have moved back and didn't seem to need to defend his decision. Of course, you could say he would only have been preaching to the converted if he did!

As for ourselves, I can honestly say we have absolutely no regrets. In many ways our lives are better (details supplied on request!) but I would be lying if I said there was nothing we don't miss. Surprisingly, the weather isn't really one of them - although I wouldn't complain if it was just a tad warmer here right now! I think I've mentioned it quite a lot previously, but the one thing I really do miss is the cafes. In Spain, wherever & whenever we were out and about, we'd usually say "shall we grab a coffee?" or "let's have a quick caña & tapas". Costabucks or Witherspoons just don't quite match up to the ubiquitous Spanish cafe that's never far away.

Having said that, we do occasionally stumble upon some good value little places that offer a fair alternative to the menu del dias that we used to enjoy. (For Benidorm's benefit, and to stoke those nostalgic feelings :wink: : just today we found ourselves in a great little Chinese cafe in Waterloo, and the other day we discovered a gem of a Chinese/Greek takeaway near Meols)

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:13 pm

It depends so much on when you decide to go back. If you ultimately need to go back for heath reasons/loss of partner, sadly the most common reason, then it could be traumatic. That’s not the time to make those huge changes to your life. Do it before you have to. In the UK my mother moved into a retirement home a few years before she needed to. Absolutely loved it there, no hassle with the move and she saw out her remaining years in a very happy environment. It also happened to a mile from our house which helped. Other friends here are now struggling. One in a wheelchair and no desire to do anything. The other looking after her and struggling, both over 85. Lots of caring family in the UK but by the time they are forced to make the decision, it will all be hell to achieve.

It’s a very difficult decision to make. We talk about it a lot but, so far, we haven’t got to the critical point but we are aware that we will soon. That’s when it gets tricky. Does anyone have the Dignitas phone number?

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:40 pm

A friend in Spain lost her Husband a few years ago. Children wanted her to move back to UK. They owned and managed a whole apartment block in Calahonda but she didn't do anything not even any knowledge of the bank accounts. She didn't even drive. Since then she has taken control of everything, passed her Spanish driving test and is thriving, most would have gone to pieces.

Sid, you sound a bit pessimistic...thought that was my role :wink: Daughter came for a visit recently and driving by a charity shop window was a dummy with a very smart evening suit. I said without thinking to OH that's where yours will end up one day. Daughter said how can you say that sounds awful. :sick: I was just being honest.

I think Miro is spot on, no one should have to defend their decision, you can only tell it like it is and everyone has different experiences. whichever country you are in if you are content you have cracked it.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Not sure I was saying that nobody should have to defend their decisions (although in an ideal world they shouldn't have to I suppose). I think what Benidorm was hinting at was that there are those who tend to sound over-defensive about their decisions - which inevitably then sounds as if they actually do regret their move for whatever reason.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am

We have been back in the UK now for just over 4 years after living in Spain for 10 years. Very content to be back. Do we miss Spain? Not really. Of course there may be one of those "Wish you were here" type programmes on the TV now and again and we have nostalgic thoughts about sunny days, golden sands etc but they soon pass. When I read in this Forum about inconveniences of daily life over there it soon brings me back to reality and memories of less pleasant occasions!

Any regrets in moving to Spain in the first place? No it was an interesting experience but, with hindsight, living in the Campo was not the best place or, for that matter, Andalucia. Moving from Inner London to rural Spain was a shock. It certainly made us appreciate life in the UK (warts and all). Although pretty obvious I don't think we fully realised before moving the penalty for not being fluent in the language. Neither did we seriously recognise the difference between regular holidays there and living there permanently! Yes I know how silly that now sounds but it is the truth! Fortunately as we are pensioners with good occupational pensions the cost of living is/was not an issue.

Being back in the UK highlights the ease of life here - no language issues, minimum officialdom, transport, electricity, water, gas etc all working well. Since being back I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and have had a cataract operation. All covered by the NHS and, despite what we read in the Newspapers, I can't speak highly of its efficiency. The weather doesn't bother us, the endless grey cloudy days of Winter are no worse than those endless hot summer days when we were just too lethargic to do anything! I sometimes think that we Brits are far to negative in our attitude towards the UK which is a shame.

In summary, glad we had the experience of living in Spain, maybe, if we could turn the clock back, we would do it again but to a different part of the country and would have seriously learnt the language. Also happy to be back in the UK. I wouldn't dare to offer advice to others because I think so much depends on individual circumstances but I would say never rule out returning because none of us know what the future holds.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 pm

"just today we found ourselves in a great little Chinese cafe in Waterloo"

Sounds interesting, any more details on this please.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Agree, that planning or thinking about returning before you have to is probably the way to go...
Returning can turn out to be a traumatic event ( if that is your final intention) as the people who we bought our property from came to discover.
I think for them it was a case of misjudging the length of time it could take to sell their home or misjudging how long their money would last..In the end they were desperate. Yes they were defensive about their reasons for leaving, our family needs us now and we have done our time in Spain etc..although they did indicate they were running out of money we learned later just how desperate they had become.They were just under pension age so they didn't have a pension to help them out.. Perhaps i too may have used defensive words in their situation, it's called having a sense of pride.Matters became worse for them when the husband had a heart attack and their aim to sell and get back to the Uk and their family became more desperate.I guess if we had not bought the property then perhaps they would eventually had little choice but to return without a sale although the ideal situation would have been to sell and return with some money so that they could get settled, everything they had was in the property. Luckily it all finally ended well for them but it could have been a much different story.
For us it's about planning and thinking about when to give up our holiday home if for example our family do not want to take it on...We will have to have that conversation one day...Through the sellers unfortunate circumstances i have come to realise that you can't plan for something like a heart attack so all we can do is try to plan around an all being well scenario and even though we don't live in Spain i don't want to leave my family with the prospect of having to wrap up our affairs in Spain should they not wish to keep the property on..A lot to think about...

For now though we shall continue with the plan of hopefully spending a few months at a time at our property as opposed to the usual 2 and 3 week visits several times a year...All we have to do is plan when to cash in the pension plans.. :sick: :lol: Happy days to come hopefully. :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Excellent post, masterob; couldn't have put it better myself. I can especially relate to the comment about "memories of less pleasant occasions" and the comparative "ease of life" having moved back.
I do think the point about the location, or specifically the precise place you choose (either in Spain or when/if moving back to the UK) is important; when we look back now, we realise that a big negative for us was the community we lived in and the issues we had to deal with there (being President much of the time didn't help), and that if we had moved years ago to another property we may have felt differently - although we loved our home and where we were located. And on the other hand, if we had landed somewhere else in the UK or not found the house we now have, we may not be as content as we are now. So choose carefully, folks, whichever way you're moving!
Sid's point about timing is so important too. Moving back should be an informed choice, not an enforced one. I know I've posted previously about a couple of elderly Brits we knew in Spain who fell on hard times (both now sadly passed). One followed his head and moved back before it was too late, and ended his days safe & secure, but rather lonely and sad and I have no doubt if his health & finances had permitted, he would have stayed in Spain until the end. The other followed his heart, but ended his days skint, scared & utterly dependent on the good will of a few other ex-pats. Tough choices indeed. I hope none of our members here ever have to face similar choices.

DA: I probably made it sound more appealing than perhaps it is! We were heading down South Rd to say hello to the Iron Men, thinking of grabbing a coffee at the little cafe right at the end by the lake (expecting to pay 2 or 3 quid for the priveledge of course), and happened on a parking space just before we reached the end of the road. Not only was the parking free (big surprise), but we happened to be right outside a small Chinese run cafe. Can't tell you the name, but it's opposite Champs more or less. Only open 10-3 Mon-Fri but obviously very popular with local workmen. A nice hot mug of tea or coffee for a quid. And the meals (which we didn't try) ranging from a full English to full Chinese looked mountainous and mostly for under a fiver. Nothing glamourous, but suited us perfectly! :thumbup: