Exchanging UK driving Licence for a Spanish one

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Exchanging UK driving Licence for a Spanish one

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:29 pm

It might help if we knew where you are - please put it in your profile.

Yes, it is true that there are significant waiting times to get an appointment in areas with a lot of foreigners. Alicante and Málaga are having hold ups for appointments of months, not weeks. You could try other options such as Granada. Alternatively use a gestor to do it as they have a fast track system within the Tráfico offices.

It’s the same now with applications to register on the list of foreign residents as so many people are wishing to do so after many years of not bothering to do so and worrying about the affect of Brexit.

Personally I think UK licences will be included in the list of third countries who can do an exchange, but obviously that cannot be guaranteed. As you say, you do need a “proper” licence rather than the document that you get as a temporary licence when you surrender your UK licence. This has always been a concern for residents wishing to hire a car in the UK while waiting for the exchange to be completed.

Sid

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:27 pm

N332 facebook page had a post from someone who's UK licence was exchanged to Spanish, but they only received 1 year validity on their new Spanish licence

https://www.facebook.com/DrivingSpain/p ... 4807663204

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 pm

Clearly a mistake.

The only reason for a reduced period is for medical reasons. The fact that she has C and D categories can complicate the issue as they are issued for shorter periods. What happened to me is that after 5 years they wrote to me and said I would need to renew those categories after 5 years, but if I didn't they would no longer be valid and would be removed at the end of the 10 year period when I next renewed.

Sid

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:59 pm

El Cid wrote:It might help if we knew where you are - please put it in your profile.
I didn't opt to that as I move around and would forget to update it, but although at the moment I spend most of the year out of Andalucia I do have property there so could do these things in the region if it was advantageous. Due to work commitments and the impossibility of getting to trafico personally, I'll be enlisting the same gestors who helped import my car. They seem to be on the ball even if most of this 'foreigner' stuff is new to them. Just waiting back to hear how much they will charge then I imagine I'll take the plunge with mine.

Finally, as it seems relevant, the Post Office tool reports that in the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK licence-holders will need an "International Driving Permit 1949" to drive in Spain and that this is "valid for 1 year".

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Follow-up question that just occurred to me: I passed my UK driving when I was 17, which I think is impossible in Spain. I've just checked the insurance policy that came with my car purchase last year and indeed, they've simply added another year to it. The legal grey area of the policy not matching my licence aside, I'm not surprised because it was the same story in France; the agents would just add a year to make it work in their computers!

Has anyone noticed receiving a new Spanish licence with an 'adapted' pass date?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am

I passed when 17 and my licence has the correct pass date on it. It should just be copied from your uk licence.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 am

alpineSi wrote: I passed my UK driving when I was 17, which I think is impossible in Spain. I've just checked the insurance policy that came with my car purchase last year and indeed, they've simply added another year to it. The legal grey area of the policy not matching my licence aside, I'm not surprised because it was the same story in France; the agents would just add a year to make it work in their computers!
Yes same here when I was using a comparison site to take out new car insurance in my name. Every time I said how long I'd been driving it wouldn't accept it. I had to alter it so that I could proceed with the quote.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm

alpineSi wrote:Follow-up question that just occurred to me: I passed my UK driving when I was 17, which I think is impossible in Spain. I've just checked the insurance policy that came with my car purchase last year and indeed, they've simply added another year to it. The legal grey area of the policy not matching my licence aside, I'm not surprised because it was the same story in France; the agents would just add a year to make it work in their computers!

Has anyone noticed receiving a new Spanish licence with an 'adapted' pass date?
elusive wrote:I passed when 17 and my licence has the correct pass date on it. It should just be copied from your uk licence.

no wonder this thread is so long.. :lol:

the date on your driving licence that you carry in your pocket isnt changed.

the date of your passing the driving test is changed on the insurance computer so that the computer accepts that you passed your test when you were 18 and not when you were 17.

its nothing to do with traffico. Its your insurance company clerk "tricking" the computer to allow them to issue insurance documents.

It is valid in spain if you get stopped because you passed before the date on the computer.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 pm

alpineSi wrote:Finally, as it seems relevant, the Post Office tool reports that in the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK licence-holders will need an "International Driving Permit 1949" to drive in Spain and that this is "valid for 1 year".
yes, but if you are resident anywhere other than the uk, you shouldnt technically have a uk driving licence, so a visa wouldnt be needed.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 pm

alpineSi wrote:
El Cid wrote:It might help if we knew where you are - please put it in your profile.
I didn't opt to that as I move around and would forget to update it, but although at the moment I spend most of the year out of Andalucia I do have property there so could do these things in the region if it was advantageous.
its handy for "us" to know, because some rules over certain things are different in the separate regions.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Beachcomber wrote:
Paddy Pumpkin wrote:,,,If the police stop you in Spain it might be a good idea to have aprinted copy of the following...
No matter how much in the right you think you may be, If you are going to start arguing the toss with the Guardia Civil and waving pieces of paper under their noses you had better be certain that the rest of your paperwork is in perfect order and that your vehicle is 100% road legal otherwise you could find yourself with a pocketful of fines for offences you never even knew existed.

said so much more eloquently than i was thinking of writing... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02 am

Spanish_lad wrote:yes, but if you are resident anywhere other than the uk, you shouldnt technically have a uk driving licence, so a visa wouldnt be needed.
Leaving Brexit aside...the above statement is not correct. You can live anywhere in the EU with a UK licence you do not need to exchange your licence to your country of residence until your UK licence expires. The same is true of anyone holding an EU licence and not residing in the country of issue. With the caveat that who knows what will happen after March 29th.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/v ... dex_en.htm

For example if you held a German Licence and lived in Holland that is completely valid.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:50 am

Sorry, to clarify : "in this case" : As the OP is renewing his driving licence outside of the UK and is resident in another country they must by law change their driving licence to one of that country, in this case, to a spanish one. :shifty: it is illegal to renew your uk driving licence when it expires with another uk driving licence while being resident outside the UK.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:51 am

BTW we are still waiting for our Spanish Driving licences. we applied in November the UK ones expired in December and the months just keep on going. :(

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Due for my appointment at the DGT Granada next week for licence exchange, I have photocopies (x3) of all the documentation I think I need including the certificate I was issued from my medical from 2 months back. I have my latest Empadronamiento I was issued with when I bought a new car in Dec 2017 - will this be OK? OR will I need to get another printed off by my Ayuntamiento?

I have print outs of the application form which I am not sure about what information is required in areas to fill in.

My concern is being issued a with cover notification until my actual licence arrives - someone said this will not be accepted as proof should I want to hire a car in the UK, which I will need to do in May.

cheers
terry

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:28 pm

You should contact your proposed rental company. Hertz say “RESERVATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
CHECKLIST - WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
When you collect your vehicle you will need the credit card you used to make your booking (if you used a debit card, you will need that card plus a valid credit card in your name) and a full and current driving licence for each driver.”
You may have to consider deferring your appointment with DGT?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Yes it wont be valid. If this is your first appointment at traffico they shouldnt take your licence off you. That is done at the second appointment when they have confirmed your licence is legit with DVLA

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Of course elusive is right. When your approval has come through you have to then make an appointment to hand over your UK card, so you could make this for after your trip. With all the applications going to DVLA it would not be surprising if they would not get it done until late summer!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:07 pm

telboy wrote:I have print outs of the application form which I am not sure about what information is required in areas to fill in.
No one is sure, it seems... I did my own then my gestor modified them, then when they gave me the copy that was accepted by trafico some things had been changed again e.g. trafico crossed out all those odd little licences we get in the UK like F,K,L,N for driving road rollers and other things. You'll probably find your driving licence number is too long to fit in the little box on the form so just add it again down in the comments area.

You can keep an eye on the procedure by entering your appointment details on this page of the DGT site, but mine has simply said En Trámite for two months now - no idea if it ever changes before the licence is issued.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Pretty sure your padrón certificate will have to be no more than 3 months old.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.