International driving licence

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

International driving licence

Postby snorbs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 am

I currently have a standard spanish driving licence.
In post brexit situation it appears an international driving licence might be needed to enter either Gibraltar or UK?
Someone mentioned to me if you go to the "trafico" office they will switch this for you no problem.
This doesn't sound like standard spanish bureaucracy to me....
Anyone have any experience in this area?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: International driving licence

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:23 pm

From gov.uk website (last updated 5th march):

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, arrangements for EU and EEA licence holders who are visiting or living in the UK will not change.

Visitors with EU and EEA driving licences will not need an IDP to drive in the UK.

EU and EEA licence holders visiting the UK can continue to drive on valid EU and EEA licences.

No specific mention of Gibraltar, but I would assume the same applies.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to- ... tent=daily
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Not needed as per dvla. I contacted them a while back. Also the link by Miro
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Of course, if we leave without a deal, there's no guarantee the EU will reciprocate. Just one of the many advantages we seem to be determined to inflict upon ourselves :?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:09 pm

Yes, I've dotted this around a few threads. UK and Ireland do not particularly have a thing about IDPs (I'm not even sure which flavour would be needed, if so) and EU, US, Australian etc full licences can be used for up to 12 month periods. Something written in Aramaic might be better backed up. The reverse is not the case for countries with a Napoleonic approach and I shall be getting a 1949 for Spain and a 1968 for France (and most other EU) unless I hear a definite "as you were" announcement.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Miro. I actually got them to say irrespective of deal or no deal we can drive in UK with Spanish licence only I.e. no further document required
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:25 pm

I think the fact that they state in the event of no deal, nothing will change, it's fairly safe to assume the same is true in the event of a deal!
I was only pointing out that in the event of no deal, holders of UK licences may require an IDP to drive in the EU, even though holders of EU licences won't need one to drive in the UK.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:29 pm

i work in Gibraltar and am concerned that if the Spanish don't recognise Gibraltar licences then the Gibraltar authorities will reciprocate so my initial question was really around if anyone had experience at the trafico office in spain in this matter

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Sorry, perhaps we digressed from your actual question. I have no idea how one obtains an IDP in Spain, but since the UK has made it clear Spanish licence holders will not need one to drive in the UK, deal or no-deal, isn't it worth checking if Gibraltar is taking the same stance before trying to obtain something you most probably don't need?

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:08 pm

what spain will doe re gibraltar licences is more pertinent in the first instance, Gibraltar I am sure will only act if Spain does not accept their licences

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Well, if you want to get an international permit "just in case", all the info you need is here: https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/tramites-y-m ... rnacional/

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:37 pm

thanks miro

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:55 pm

Hola

I got an IDP a couple of years ago - simple and no fuss at the Trafico in Cádiz - I needed it because there was a hiccup in renewing my Spanish licence so I got one to drive through France to England.

Davexf