Travel sickness aids

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Travel sickness aids

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:06 pm

Just wanted some feedback as to different forms of travel sickness aids. I always take Stugeron which strangely is not available here. At least it wasn't when I asked at the local farmacia a few years back as the generic drug simply wasn't listed in his book. I am very sensitive to any pills, but they luckily don't make me sleepy at all unlike other makes.

Problem is, I have my first cruise coming up and didn't really want to be dosed up day and night for 12 days. Has anyone tried Sea Bands or similar that work on the acupuncture points. Reviews seem to be very mixed. Any other suggestions?

My travel sickness has improved as I've got older, as when I was a child I couldn't go more than a few stops on the bus without being ill. I am generally OK in the car nowadays but having visited family a number of times when their cruise ship has docked in Spain, I was aware of the slight movement whilst it was still in dock and am a bit nervous about enduring a consecutive number of days at sea. Anyone who suffers from motion sickness will know how unpleasant it is and how long lasting the effects are, so I really don't want it to ruin my long awaited trip.

casita-bonita
Resident

Re: Travel sickness aids

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:50 pm

For us, and many years ago our kids the wristbands worked well to alleviate travel sickness. Plus of course no drugs involved which is always preferable.

These are on amazon UK but I'm sure you'll be able to get then on amazon es if you know what the Spanish words are.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Anti-Na ... 201&sr=8-2

Last ones we bought were from a shop in Malaga airport departures, but you may well find them in a large Farmacia.
Regards

Bob

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:39 pm

On amazon just put .es instead of co.uk

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:15 pm

Can't see how a wristband could stop it sounds like a con just like those magnetic ones for other complaints. Never had a problem but been on many cruises and heard lots of talk about an injection onboard from the ships Doctors.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:23 pm

katy wrote:Can't see how a wristband could stop it sounds like a con just like those magnetic ones for other complaints. Never had a problem but been on many cruises and heard lots of talk about an injection onboard from the ships Doctors.
Believe me they worked. I think that the little button presses on an acupuncture point on the wrists.

At the end of the day they cost a couple of euros so giving them a try is hardly going to break the bank.......

Good tip substuting. Es for. Co.uk, however a lot of items on UK aren't available on es. When I'm not sure of the translation I tend to look an item up on UK, the select a manufacturer name and use that to search on es.
Regards

Bob

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:26 pm

They sell them in Poundland.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:29 pm

The wrist bands do the trick for Mrs.M. No idea how they work - maybe it's the placebo effect. I find copious volumes of alcohol has the same effect for me :D
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:36 pm

katy wrote:They sell them in Poundland.
You could probably get a couple of marbles and keep them in the correct place on your wrists with plasters.. Virtually free. Way to see if it works for you.
Regards

Bob

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:54 pm

I think it is the placebo effect, if you think you will be sick you will be. At least they are inexpensive and don't do any harm. I don't believe in acupuncture either, known people in Marbella spend thousands on it and never improved. They were just told they needed more sessions.

One of the critics of TCM is David Colquhoun, Emeritus Professor of Pharmacology at University College London. He gives this piece of advice to anyone considering buying a set of acupressure wristbands: “Save your money. It's complete hokum.” He calls acupressure “an even sillier version of acupuncture, where you just press rather than sticking in needles.”

Colquhoun describes his own research field as “hard core biophysics.” When teaching, he “spent a lot of time trying to teach people which drugs work and which don't.” Now retired, he continues to warn against quackery and scientific fraud through his blog, DC’s Improbable Science. “It's upsetting to me to see the public being defrauded,” he says.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:03 pm

We bought wristbands on a p and o ferry years ago for my daughter. The definitely worked for her. I guess your cruise ship will have them on board.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:24 pm

If anything works for you then who cares if an "expert" says it's hokum. Do they have a better solution to the problem?
Personally the pills they hand out, free, on board a cruise liner work for me.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:02 pm

I'm betting they didn't work for the expert so he decided to dubunk them.. Who cares what he says as they are cheap, certainly not going to harm you, and several people oh here, including me can testify that they work.

Experts said you shouldn't eat eggs, experts said take low dose aspirin every day. Both of which have been reversed by other experts, the latter now apparently deemed as injurious to health. Sure that the are many more examples of experts being contradicted by other experts....

Try them you may be surprised. If they don't work buy loads of pills....
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:25 pm

From a bit of googling, Stugeron should be available in Spain under various trade names all containing Cinizarina.

Stugeron, from my experience, is the solution favoured by serious sailors. Although I have sailed about 20000 miles I have been spared seasickness, but I have seen Stugeron being very effective on more susceptible crew members.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:52 am

On a cruise I think you will quickly get your sea legs. A relative who was in the Navy said he was sick every time they left port if he had been on land for a few weeks but passed after a day or too. Correct the bracelets are harmless which is more than can be said for a lot of snake oil products. These bands seem to cure pregnancy sickness too. A friend had a few for arthritis and then they quietly disappeared. Strangely there was a programme on TV a couple of months ago re. Alternative medicines where it accused the world Health org of pampering to some placebo cures.
Seen them for sale in Spanish markets.

This is a USA site but relevant where you can check out your cure :D

https://www.quackwatch.org

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:28 pm

El Cid wrote:From a bit of googling, Stugeron should be available in Spain under various trade names all containing Cinizarina.

Stugeron, from my experience, is the solution favoured by serious sailors. Although I have sailed about 20000 miles I have been spared seasickness, but I have seen Stugeron being very effective on more susceptible crew members.

Sid
I took the packet in to the local farmacia and they consulted their huge book of drugs but cinizarina wasn't in there. Although that was a few years back. It's not usually a problem stocking up when we go back to the UK as we have also needed them for the odd vertigo attack we both suffer with from time to time so always like to have a stock of them in the house. I cannot usually take other antihistimine travel drugs as they make me too drowsy.

Thanks for your input re the wrist bands. Can do no harm to give them a go. I am hoping I'll get my sea legs and be able to wean myself off the pills!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:30 pm

I have only been sea sick once on the Ireland Holyhead crossing. I recently sailed a 42ft boat from Marseille to Roses in Spain. Force 8 gusting to 9 and 8 of the crew were really ill but I was on the helm and was fine. One hell of an experience.