Ryanair industrial action July

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair industrial action July

Postby costakid » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:55 am

The Botellones lasted about a year in Malaga city before the council and the Police got fed up with the mess and disruption.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:29 pm

It's not just big cities, but also market towns have a lot of anti social behaviour. I read the local press for where I used to live and it is a regular occurrence, not just the DM stuff. When I go out at night locally here I never see that sort of behaviour in the town centres.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Yes you are right Wicksey on many accounts but like katy i don't live in a large town or city so being a country bumpkin means im immuned from most of it..for now! It's the day and age of culture drinking and drugs, i do worry for my grandkids and hope when they grow up they mite just have enough sence to half behave.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:15 pm

1bassleft wrote:My wife nipped back to UK last week with Jet2 (who, in many ways pull the same stunts but get away with it) and flies back to AGP with Ryanair today. She was meant to travel light but had a last minute "I need" panic (including, bizarrely, a particular pair of tweezers) and is checking in a case and carrying her handbag. She hasn't gone for Priority + 2 bags because her seat is at the front and only her handbag's staying with her.

Get this: last night I got a Ryanair email (just in time to purchase the Priority +2, but still of no interest to me/her). I paraphrase as I can't locate it. "For the benefit of our customers" alcohol cannot be consumed... blah, blah standard stuff. Alcohol purchased elsewhere cannot be brought into the cabin, we shall be checking for this at boarding. If you have purchased alcohol, this must be placed in your cabin bag and the bag will be put in the hold at no charge. If the alcohol cannot be placed safely in the hold for example, it is in a plastic carrier bag, the alcohol will be removed and you cannot take it on board the plane.

So, people who buy a bottle of scotch and some wine at the airport shop and walk to the gate with it in a carrier bag will have it removed from them - even though it is the only bag they are carrying on board? Even Priority +2 passengers should be getting bags shoved in the hold at the last moment. My wife doesn't drink, but I've warned her to prepare for a near-riot that could take place at the gate. It's the red-eye midnight lander and some passengers will have to go without gin and cornflakes for breakfast if they push this one.

It reminds me of a few years back when they measured everyone's hand luggage while checking boarding passes. They packed it in a while later, but it was Dante's delays and arguments factory while it lasted. I wonder what the airport shops will make of the loss of business?

What's wrong with putting your booze in the hold luggage ?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:10 pm

costakid wrote:The Botellones lasted about a year in Malaga city before the council and the Police got fed up with the mess and disruption.
Good on Malaga council. It Is a big problem here. I wish more were done.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:10 am

Back to the Ryanair flight, my wife told me that someone ahead of her was stopped and told that the alcohol meant that the cabin bag had to go in the hold. There wasn't any argument; she didn't see a situation where bottles had to be actually confiscated for lack of suitable baggage so boarding (late, but not because of the searching) wasn't aggro by any stretch. They can't confiscate people's stomachs; she complained of some loud and silly types on board but my wife's tolerance to that is even lower than her tolerance of alcohol (two wine gums and I carry her home) so, a pinch of salt there. There was a minor news item of a flight from M/C being diverted to East Midlands to dump off an abusive woman a few days previously but it's rare, really.

For UK cities/towns, my anecdotal evidence is that the worst is over. When extended openings and "happy hours" of 6-9 were new, I really had to develop spider-sense in the centres but, more recently, going around with my son in potential uni cities, the feeling that things might turn ugly just wasn't there compared to 15 years ago. Zero worries at night in France and Spain, but I don't go near the knobhead magnets.

Edit: One thing I have noticed is that spliffing is quite commonplace relative to previous years. I have semi-often smelled it from patio areas of some bars. Doesn't exactly encourage rowdiness, though.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Interesting that Italy is opening a probe into Ryanair hand luggage charges.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45595149

Ryanair spokesman Kenny Jacobs said: "We look forward to co-operating with this Italian inquiry. All Ryanair customers are free to bring one piece of carry-on bag onboard. But no airline customer has a right to unlimited carry-on bags."

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:12 am

Booked our flights for next Easter however considering they are within the first 2 weeks after 29th March which is when we leave the Eu im expecting turmoil...Booked with Easyjet, been let down by Ryanair and fed up of their strike actions, i am not prepared to pay a few quid less to take a chance on them, if it's a difference of 20quid here and there id rather pay it than rely on Ryanair..

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:48 am

"Ryanair is facing enforcement action by the UK airline regulator over its refusal to compensate passengers for flight disruption caused by staff taking strike action.

The UK's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said the low-cost airline has rejected compensation claims and has now ended its agreement with AviationADR - a CAA-approved body for alternative dispute resolution of passenger complaints.

The CAA said it does not believe the strikes are "extraordinary circumstances", as Ryanair has claimed, and are therefore not exempt, meaning its customers should be compensated."

Just seen this this morn, i am sure people here who were effected be interested.
It be interested to see how it goes? i never thought of the fact that they be liable for what happened in strike situation

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:23 pm

I use Ryanair purely on price and efficiency but they do stretch the code with things like compensation.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:21 pm

"Strikes are not Extraordinary Circumstances" - well, dur. Ryanair try it on every which way. Every time they delayed us >4hrs, they used to send me an email to claim three days after my flight but the webpage would be closed after 48hrs so no way I could claim. Have to say, EJ seem to be one of the better budgets at the mo. Jet2 pull some of the same stunts as Ryanair (eg hand luggage) but don't get the same bad press.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Ryanair do have their PR disasters but are not all bad - my OH’s brother and wife were due to come and stay with us, but sadly their 14 year old grandson was killed whilst cycling with friends, this 4 days before they were due to fly out. Naturally they did not come, as they were devastated and also wanted to support their daughter. They contacted Ryanair who with no quibble sent them a cheque in full refund.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:57 am

That's absolutely tragic, Peter; my Number 1 "please may that never happen to me" wish/prayer and I'm so sorry that you and your family suffered such a loss. It's difficult for me to articulate on a forum, having never met you, but it puts mundane moans into their proper context. I'm glad that they were treated with the sensitivity they deserved.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:50 am

Thank you 1bassleft - what a nice comment.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 am

Peteroldracer

Peter, that's a very sad storey.
It is not the sort of story that is published in the major press about Ryanair. So beneath the gritty PR skin of Ryanair, there is some charity and warmth. Just a little.

A really touching post on your part.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:16 am

I am guessing like me most people here not aware of this. It may not be all O'Leary's fault after all.

RYANAIR BOSS MICHAEL O’Leary wrote to the European Commission last year asking for its help in resolving a legal dispute with Irish officials over where it taxes European staff.

In November 2018, the airline launched legal action against Revenue and Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe over laws the company said require it to put European staff on Irish contracts.

The budget carrier has had a long-standing practice of putting some direct and agency staff on Irish contracts even if they live and work elsewhere.

This has been a source of frustration for pilot and cabin crew trade unions, which the airline has been in negotiations with since its shock decision to recognise unions in December 2017.

Ryanair sought to change a measure, introduced in 2011, that provides for the taxation of income earned by flight crew members who work on Irish-registered and -managed aircraft that operate in international traffic.

O’Leary – who will soon step away from the day-to-day running of the business – told the company’s annual general meeting in September 2018 that Ryanair was lobbying the State to change these laws.

Documents obtained by Fora show that O’Leary contacted EU Employment Commissioner Marianne Thyssen on 21 December asking her to “add your influential voice” to the dispute and write a letter of support for the company.

He asked the commissioner to call on the Irish government – specifically Paschal Donohoe – to refer the matter to the European Court of Justice “so that other European Governments can express an opinion on, or intervene in, this case”.

Michael O'Leary - Brussels, Belgium Michae O'Leary Source: Laurie Dieffembacq/PA Images

“Ryanair has committed in our negotiations with pilot and cabin crew unions across Europe to move to local contracts at the earliest possible date in 2019,” O’Leary wrote.

He told Thyssen the move was “subject only to reaching agreement with the Irish government that we may move these individuals to local income tax … in exactly the same way they currently pay local social taxes”.

“The Irish Government has refused this permission, and is insisting that these non-resident pilots and cabin crew continue to pay income tax,” he alleged, explaining that Ryanair had taken High Court action over the matter.

“We need the help and support of the EU Commission, and the other European Governments, to persuade the Irish Government to release this tax liability upon Ryanair crews who are based in other EU countries to pay their income taxes here in Ireland – solely because Ryanair is managed and controlled here in Ireland.”

Accompanying the letter was a copy of an Irish Examiner article reporting on the High Court proceedings.

The report stated that Ryanair claimed it could lose €5 million a year because of Ireland’s tax laws.