Exchanging UK driving Licence for a Spanish one

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
anis
Resident

Re: Exchanging UK driving Licence for a Spanish one

Postby anis » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 am

We have been waiting since October 15 for our licences. It is becoming a serious problem now because we have to travel to UK and need car hire.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 am

Chase it up. Make an apointment at traffico and ask

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 am

Done that, getting nowhere.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:49 am

Go to the DGT website and select the Sede Electronico. There u can consult the state of your application by entering NIE and DOB. No other requirements.

It may shed some light on the issue; e.g. if it says sent by post, you'll know that it's lost, etc.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 pm

jhonie99 wrote:Go to the DGT website and select the Sede Electronico. There u can consult the state of your application by entering NIE and DOB. No other requirements.
I think I found the page you mention, here https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/aplicaciones ... cado.shtml

But are you sure it works for exchanges from foreign licences? I gave it a go and just get the message:
Lo sentimos, pero no tenemos información sobre el estado de tramitación de este permiso de conducir.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 am

anis wrote:Done that, getting nowhere.
What did they say? Have you contacted DVLA they might be able to tell you if at least traffico have checked with them about your licence

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:17 pm

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed May 01, 2019 9:58 am

Spanish licence arrived in the post yesterday (applied for as canje at the end of Feb 2019). It's very basic looking compared to UK one, I think I could have made it myself!

I've lost a few subcategories on the back which the Spanish presumably don't list if you have the full group e.g. UK lists B and B1 but Spanish say, 'if you have B then you have B1 so what's the point?' I also lost my AM which is mopeds (and for the Spanish included in B).

My only concern is that I can imagine in the UK this might prevent me hiring a small van or moped if there's no date next to them.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Wed May 01, 2019 3:07 pm

Hola

When I turned 70 I lost a few categories including B1 as I believe I am no longer entitled to drive certain categories due to my age?

Davexf

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu May 02, 2019 12:20 am

Could be age, could be just not needing it stated on the licence any more. I've been issued 3 photo-card licences in the UK and each has acquired and lost weird little categories and subcategories over the years whenever they update the system.

Sadly, I know from experience in motorbike rental that if a foreign licence doesn't explicitly say a certain category then the host country's rules are applied e.g. Pablo has a car licence (B) and can hire and ride a 125cc bike on it when on holiday in Spain. When he goes to London though, they won't let him hire a 125cc bike because Tony doesn't have that right with his British B licence. Depending on when Pablo got his B licence, they probably won't even let him have a 50cc unless he does a CBT.

It's not really a bother, I've found the pages on the DVLA to support what I was concerned about. I can just imagine someone in the UK being very 'computer says no' about it.