On Off Internet

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

On Off Internet

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:00 pm

I need to get internet fitted east of Malaga. Does anyone know of a company that offers a service which you can activate and only pay when you are in Spain. A friend has this but he is in Marbella and the company dont cover my area. If not who is the best/cheapest company, I only need internet as we have good deals on our mobiles so never use a landline. I guess i need fibre as we want it for TV.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: On Off Internet

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi costakid, we looked into internet a few weeks ago while away over easter, our place is in the campo so our findings may not suit you as you are in a more civilised place then us... :mrgreen: Eurona offered us internet via satellite, their answer to rural properties, as yet we have not taken it up but are looking into doing so when we return in the summer. The cost was based on an 18mnth contract which is 27 euros per month. I haven't yet looked at any others, they came recommended by a Spanish friend who fits satellite dishes/ariels . nothing in it for him, his friend had gone with them in another rural property and said he was happy with it..Whether the price was a good deal? again as yet i haven't compared others and that's if there are many offering internet via satellite... The spanish friend thinks i'm getting a good deal in the Uk paying £20 pm for internet and phone..
i'm sure someone will come along and offer further info..

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 01, 2019 4:47 pm

I have just been told (by email) that my internet won't be continued due to technical problems beyond their control. So had to go to a cafe to find this out as I had no internet at home! Very few companies cover this valley but neighbours managed to get Axartel which I think has the option to be switched on and off and I am looking at Fobos whose website say they do the same.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed May 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Yeah axartel do on off. Very good customer service. prob the main provider bar movistar around here

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed May 01, 2019 7:26 pm

Can you be a bit more specific as to where "around here" is?
East of Malaga covers a very large area.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed May 01, 2019 9:32 pm

I am in Rincon. Not sure if that’s covered by Axartel.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu May 02, 2019 8:30 am

Torre -nerja probably . Not sure if they go as far as rincon. If you go on their website you can imput details to check coverage for where you are

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am

A quick google has thrown up some portable WIFI services for Spain.

https://www.my-webspot.com/pocket-wifi-spain/
https://wifiaway.es/en/

Before roaming was free, I used to take out temporary 4g when I travelled to the UK or Ireland for longer periods. I used my phone as a router and was able to do more or less the same as I could with my normal WIFI here in Spain.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu May 02, 2019 12:24 pm

If i went with Movistar, Jazztel or similar do i need a land line. I understand with fibre this is not necessary.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu May 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Hi costakid,
Will depend on the definition of "Fibre".......some do Fibre to a junction box near your location then landine to casa .....BT an example.
Check above with supplier........

True Fibre will be into your casa and no landline needed.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 02, 2019 2:04 pm

This is something that should be addressed as soon as people. I hardly use my landline these days so looked into getting rid of it but it turned out that the package without one costs more.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu May 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi costakid,
Will depend on the definition of "Fibre".......some do Fibre to a junction box near your location then landine to casa .....BT an example.
Check above with supplier........

True Fibre will be into your casa and no landline needed.
Ok, will look into it. Movistar fusion is available in our street. No one has ever been into my house to put fibre cables in. There was a land line 16 years ago but we have never had a land line or internet.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu May 02, 2019 4:49 pm

When Movistar installed Fibre Optic in our street two years ago they ran the Fibre Optic cable direct from the Fibre Junction Box in the street all the way to the router inside the house. As far as I'm aware you still have to pay for the landline service and the phone plugs into the back of the Router.