Driving in sandals.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Manchesteral
Resident

Driving in sandals.

Postby Manchesteral » Sun May 12, 2019 11:24 am

Good morning all, tomorrow I'm heading for Torrox and have a question, as I rarely drive in Spain I do not know the answer to this question, apparently a new law was passed that whilst driving a car it is now illegal to do so wearing sandals, flip flops etc, is this true or am I being wound up ?

Unicorn
Resident

Re: Driving in sandals.

Postby Unicorn » Sun May 12, 2019 11:58 am

Does this help? My undestanding is that any shoe that is open at the front or back that could get caught on the pedals, and this 'law' has been around for quite a while.
Anecdotally I have heard of police just sitting by a beach and picking people off one by one at going home time.
https://www.raccars.co.uk/news/avoid-fl ... -the-wheel

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun May 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 12, 2019 12:11 pm

There is no new law and neither is there any law that mentions footwear.

The law that covers it merely says that you must not drive in a reckless or dangerous way.

That basically gives the Guardia the right to make up any rules about footwear that suits them!

http://n332.es/2015/03/02/is-it-legal-o ... igh-heels/

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 12, 2019 3:52 pm

I was stopped once driving from the beach, the track I was driving on only led to an underground service tunnel under the A7. Used it all the time although not authorised. The Policeman wasn't bothered about that, thought I wasn't wearing a seat belt. I was and showed him (had something loose covering it) he was fine although I had two dogs loose in the car, one in the front and the other in the back. I was also in bare feet!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon May 13, 2019 8:52 am

You hear lots of stories about the police stopping people coming from the beach. I don’t know anyone who has been fined for driving in flip flops but to be honest they are quite dangerous to drive in. I was stopped for not wearing a seat belt, I was fined for that but they never mention the sandals I was wearing.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon May 13, 2019 10:10 am

Just needs common sense really - if your foot can slip out of your footwear when you stamp on the brake, or use the clutch then it is a potential danger.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.