Hotels near M5

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Hotels near M5

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:49 am

Driving from Plymouth to Leeds soon, ferry times not stable so looking to break journey say around Bristol. Anyone recommend a reasonable priced hotel with secure parking and 24-hour reception/book-in, in case we land late at night?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

dxf
Resident

Re: Hotels near M5

Postby dxf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 pm

Hola

We always use Booking.com - easy to filter for what you need

Davexf

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:54 pm

Not finding it easy to sort out which have 24-hour checkin.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:32 am

If you are using Booking.com, scroll down to the facilities section on any particular hotel and it usualy states if there is 24hr reception, together with details of bar, food, wifi, parking, pets allowed etc.
Hardworking resident !!

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:50 am

I wish I could give you a personal recomm (never stopped near Bristol), but I have used Accor group (Ibis, Mercure, Novotel) a lot in the past and I had a quick look when I saw your first post. I was quite taken by Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel.

All Accors have 24hr reception; one of the reasons I use them as I bowl up whenever I do, depending. It has onsite parking and looks quite country stylee yet it's really close to the M5 and M4. When I'm heading somewhere, not having to faff too much off the main drag is a decent plus but often means an Ibis Budget (poligono, Pizza Hut and Toys R Us) whereas this looks a lot more conducive.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 am

Duly noted 1bassleft - have fingers crossed that we dock on time and I can charge up to Leeds in one go!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:03 am

Just got back from the UK last night. The worst traffic was crossing from Stafford upon Avon to Cambridge. Cambridge to Dover was a doddle and took less than 2 hours, We allowed four hours because I had heard that the Dartford crossing was usually busy.

Getting back to your question, We stayed in Travelodge for the overnight stops. Good prices but even more importantly their beds are so confortable even if the rooms are a little basic, not a problem though for overnight stays. 24 hour reception as well. Parking needs to be taken into account as well and If you are up for it, they do an unlimited breakfast buffet for £8.75.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 pm

We actually did not pre-book, just drove as far as we felt reasonable then looked for signs on the motorway with a bed symbol.
The Days Inn at Tewksberry did the job fine - comfy room, choice of nearby eateries acroos the car park and free parking. Only downside was lack of secure parking so SWMBO fretted all night that the car may have been broken into and suitcases stolen - leaving no dress for her son's wedding 2 days later!
The Hotel Tudanca at Aranda del Duero was great for the first night - secure parking at extra E10 and 5 hours from home, 2 1/2 hours to Santander and visible from the Autovia.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:53 pm

I've never stayed the night in Aranda because it's so close to home but I have taken a break there on long journeys. Lovely place to spend an evening or a couple of hours. It's also a good place to fill up at Petroprix in order to avoid motorway prices.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 pm

We've stayed at Tucanda Aranda twice now and for an overnight stop it has everything. A decent restaurant and a self service cafe too, it also has a well stocked shop if you want to buy your own food to prepare. It became our regular first stop over after we left Andalucia for home.

Having said that this year we gave it a miss and tried to plan a journey with hotels in nice towns as we had a week to kill and did not need to cover a lot of miles in one day.

For all that though Tucanda and Alisa in Lerma are 2 over night stops we'd advise anyone to do after a good days drive en route or returning from Andalucia..
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Lerma is another nice place for a stopover, a little further north from Aranda. One place nobody mentions is the city of Burgos, a 5 KM drive from the motorway.