coming to live in andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

coming to live in andalucia

Postby joxxsmith » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:47 am

I wonder if anyone could be me some pointers, I am researching the possiblity of settling in Southern Spain, and am looking for locations.

I want to ensure I find somewhere that will be relativley sociable for me, I am single, 50 and female.

I plan to spend time in the next few years trialling my plan. I am self employed so as long as I have an internet connection I can base myself anywhere, so i will rent for 3 months at a time so I can try before I buy.

I'm worried about being isolated and worried about meeting people of my own age. Any ideas folks as to places to look at?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:29 am

I want to ensure I find somewhere that will be relativley sociable for me, I am single, 50 and female.
Anywhere along the coast will suit.
I am self employed so as long as I have an internet connection I can base myself anywhere,
Thats sounds great :)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:50 am

Along the coast is OK if that lifestyle suits.......but.......

Any number of the inland towns and villages have an active social life. I live inland and often vist the coast, but have to ask myself, if I lived on the coast how many times would I venture inland!

Internet anywhere now..........I also run a business and am very rural/campo but am connected 24/7 with phone [problem now and then, but it's Spain, what else!]........

Just do it..............

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:12 am

I have to admit the coast appeals more to me, I live on the coast here and do need my "sea" fix. I am more inclined towards being within an hour of Malaga airport.

For initial visits also somewhere with public transport and 5/10 mins walk to an internet cafe (depening on whether I can rent somewhere with ADSL).

Any pointers to good websites with 6-12 week lets over winter?

Sandy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:26 am

Hi

Inland is lovely and only an hour away from the coast. Too much crime, etc at the coast. We came from Torquay so love the sea air but with only a hours drive away, no problem! We have been here nearly two years.

Please keep in touch.

Regards

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:51 am

450 Euro is closer to my budget, i was hoping I could get a studio/1bed for this budget

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:53 am

If you are single don't even think about about moving inland. It's roasting in the summer and freezing in the winter and you will feel isolated. You will be far better off on the coast.
Try and find somewhere where a car is not essential so you can get what you need in the summer months without the hassle of traffic/parking.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:44 pm

If you love the sea, stick to the coast and I agree - somewhere within walking distance of amenities. Lots of pensioners have holidays on the Costa del Sol in the winter and some stay for 3 months at a time. For a clue as to where they stay, pick up a holiday brochure for over 50s.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Lots of pensioners have holidays on the Costa del Sol in the winter and some stay for 3 months at a time. For a clue as to where they stay, pick up a holiday brochure for over 50s.
this is what i am trying to avoid.... hence the research. It would be helpful to be given pointers as to where to avoid, emptying my local travel agent does not appeal as a construcive pastime. I remember having a w/end in Benidorm many years ago in October and passing many a place holding tea dances from 4-6pm.

I will have to stay fairly coastal to start with as I will not have a car with me.

These seem to be the requirements:-

within a hour of Malaga
Sociable area (for my age range 50), mixed nationalities
initial visits 6-12 weeks Jan-March
£100 pw limit on rental ( i still have UK property to maintain)
public transport
internet cafe/or rental with adsl)

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:01 pm

If your internet connection is important to you, check the availability of phone lines very carefully. Not everywhere has phone lines, and this is probably more so inland than the coast.

Even if you have a line, broadband may not be available if you require it.

You could do worse than here in the village of La Cala.

Best of luck.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:27 pm

So what, Sunkissed, has hot summers and cold nights got to do with being single......and social life on the coast? Here today/gone tomorrow holiday makers and OAP's in the winter? Yeah right.

Get a stable social life with people that live here, a little inland. And it don't have to be the "Brit Scene" but can be if you want to join any one of the many clubs and organizations around.......writer, arts, dramatics, walking etc etc etc.

Internet? Are your receiving this? beamed from the top of a "mountain" overlooking Alhaurin....with cheap phone and even cheaper skype.

Business is doing better here than when in UK, most everything is cheaper, dumped me rain-mac and putting on too much weight. And I MAY pop down to the coast tonight [25 mins away] or not!

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:15 pm

for 450 euros rental you will not get a lot on the cds, unless they are old and grotty, but maybe places like fuengirola which are always buzzing all year round might suit.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:15 pm

joxxsmith.. my advice for your requirements would be east Malaga...El Palo or Pedregalejos/Malagueta area.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:47 pm

Hi Blondie hope none of your friends from Fuengirola come on here :roll:

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:35 pm

Excellent, I've got loads of ideas from this thread. I too think east of Malaga,

maybe a month in November....to do some ground work

I'm all fired up now.

Lizzy465
Tourist

Postby Lizzy465 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:47 pm

Hi there, amazed that you have not had more replies suggesting Fuengirola/Los Boliches/Torreblanca.
we are completely converted having arrived in May this year. rentals from 500-750E. amazing train service that you can set your clock by to and from malaga to fuengirola, regular bus service, good shopping centre at Myramar - like a mall, and Fuengirola has loads of little shops in hidden streets etc.
Beach is long -from Fuengirola to Torreblanca with clean beaches and loads of cafes etc on other side. Lots of british but also lots of local Spanish.
Hotels available for eveing entertainment - as long as you buy a drink you are welcome in nearly all, various clubs/societies and the sort of place that if single, you can feel confident and safe to stroll out day or evening and sit in cafe bars to watch the world go by.
On the other side of the coin, for youngsters looking for night life - sadly Fuengirola has seen it's share of fighting and violence in the clubs. We only know this cos of our daughters so have'nt seen it 1st hand as we are generally tucked up in bed by 1am!!
Fantastic way of life, beautiful scenery, loads of eating places offering 3 course meals of day from 5Euros up!!
Dont spend years thinking of it - do it now!!!!!

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:48 pm

Why not try around the Nerja area, motorway to Malaga only 49 kms from start of motorway.
pwwm

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:00 pm

I have to admit I was thinking of avoiding the really built up area that stretches from Torremolinos to Estepona.

My feeling it is gets too diluted with holiday makers, thus east of malaga or west of tarifa, gets the first serious look. East of Malaga is preferable because it has proximity to a charter airport with cheap flights (and flights to Exeter which is my home here).

The whole locality is always going to have pockets with great influxes of tourists, but I'd like to think there are still areas where it is possible to live 365 days of the year without being too greatly impacted by buckets and spades etc

sueb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sueb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:05 pm

ve a house in Ronda, 1hr 45 mins from Malaga by bus and an hour to the coast.
Ronda has everything you could want, a good social life, internet cafes, some resident brits, dutch, all very friendly as are the locl spanish people, you can find a rental over the winter for 300/400 euros.
yes it does get cold at night in the winter and it can be wet but i have picnic'd in tee shirt and shorts in february.. the days are beautiful.
sueb

soegaard
Tourist

Torrox Nerja

Postby soegaard » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:13 pm

Sounds to me as if the Torrox - Nerja area would be ideal for you.

Jens-Kristian