Estate Agent Speak ... Plot/built

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Estate Agent Speak ... Plot/built

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:59 pm

When they say "built xmetre squared " does that mean the area of ground covered or does it mean the total floor area including upper floors?

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:04 pm

I think its the floor area or 'footprint'...otherwise it would be cu3m

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm confused now. Would the footprint of a single storey building 10m by 10m be 100 square metres, and be the same as the footprint of a 10 storey building 10m by 10m/

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:30 pm

When we sold our 3 floor townhouse they lumped all the floors together to get the M2

Kenny

Roll on Wednesday then :oops:

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:25 pm

“...m2 built”
refers to the total amount of living space
(which can be spread over one or more floors), but
does not include basements or cellars
(unless they exit to the outside)
balconies or terraces
(unless covered by an insulated roof)
and garages...

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:42 pm

The living space is described in the escritura as 'superficie útil' which is less than the built area 'superficie construida' because it does not include the area taken up by the interior walls.

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Rick Gale wrote:
Mixter wrote:I think its the floor area or 'footprint'...otherwise it would be cu3m
I'm confused now. Would the footprint of a single storey building 10m by 10m be 100 square metres, and be the same as the footprint of a 10 storey building 10m by 10m/
The footprint in the space it takes up in the plot. Irrespective of height. My original answer tho, seems i guessed wrong re. what is offered by meterage on a property.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:02 pm

hi

OK does that mean that we could build a basement ( a long time dream) without changing the M2??

Fred

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:10 pm

There are three ways of measuring a building.

The first, when you apply for a licence, is the absolute minimum and only includes the basic internal usable facilities, conveniently forgetting the garage and utility room and possibly one of the bedrooms - this also goes on the Escritura.

The second, when you pay the builder, is the outside measurement.

The third, when you sell it, includes everything you can think of, including the 4 bedroomed apartment that you have illegally built in the underbuild and probably half of your neighbours property!

:D :D :D

Sid

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:01 pm

fearfulfred wrote:hi

OK does that mean that we could build a basement ( a long time dream) without changing the M2??

Fred
Well, youd up the habitable sq.m..but the footprint wouldnt change...unless you made a pigs ear of it and the house collapsed all over the plot. :wink:

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:06 pm

No we would not do that but have talked about a basement for along time...something that is normal in Canada..need to have water pipes more than 6 feet below ground level for winter frost! As we are built in a hillside we always thought it would be lovely to do as at home and have second floor ( recreation room whatever ) below ground level. Add to that less heating costs etc..would it become more meters squared ?? that is the main question!

Fred

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Ialways thought that the quoted size included terraces and verandahs!
Ah! the full english!!

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 am

would it become more metres squared
in a word - well four actualy...i would say yes. The house would offer X more metres of space.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:12 pm

El Cid wrote:There are three ways of measuring a building.

The first, when you apply for a licence, is the absolute minimum and only includes the basic internal usable facilities, conveniently forgetting the garage and utility room and possibly one of the bedrooms - this also goes on the Escritura.

The second, when you pay the builder, is the outside measurement.

The third, when you sell it, includes everything you can think of, including the 4 bedroomed apartment that you have illegally built in the underbuild and probably half of your neighbours property!

:D :D :D

Sid
You forgot the fourth, which is the estate agent's advertised size, which I believe is something like the sum of all of the above, squared.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.