Windows Vista

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:16 pm

on the subject of Vista, does any of you tec experts know why when i am looking at a webcam it does not refresh every few seconds. when i had XP and i looked at the Malaga webcam it used to work fine but now i have Vista it does not. It must be something to do with the settings.

Martin Page
Resident

Spanish Windows Vista - in English - work round

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:01 am

Like alot of other people, I too have had problems with Spanish Computers being in Spanish. Most of them do have a work round - but Not Windows Vista. (cept in the ultimate edition)

You may have seen my earlier post regarding this.

However,
I think I have found a work round that may even be on the edge of legality too - after all you have paid for the licence be it in the price of the computer. (its just Bill Gates trying to protect his rip off Britain position)

If you can get your hands on an English version of Vista - legitimate or other wise - Format your c:\ drive and reinstall Vista in English - Using the Spanish licence key that originally came with your computer.
If the licence key is an OEM version your stuffed- sorry

I hope this post doesn't get pulled of before enough of you have read it.

It worked for me, and is now validated with regular (perhaps a bit too regular) updates from Microsoft.

Now all I have to do is put all the supplied software back on - this time in English

PS. If you dont know how to format your c:\ drive - I sugest that you dont do this. Get someone that knows what they are doing otherwise you could end up with an empty box ! Oh ...and have a fall back position - Image the original if there is no recovery disk supplied

Dealer
Resident

Re: Spanish Windows Vista - in English - work round

Postby Dealer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:19 am

Martin Page wrote:If you can get your hands on an English version of Vista - legitimate or other wise - Format your c:\ drive and reinstall Vista in English - Using the Spanish licence key that originally came with your computer.
This is legal as you pay for the Licence and not the software!
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Windows Vista - in English - work round

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:18 am

Martin Page wrote: If the licence key is an OEM version your stuffed- sorry
If the Spanish copy of Vista came with the PC it is almost certainly an OEM version.

If you can't find anyother solution you can buy an OEM copy of Vista Premium in English for about £70.

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:23 am

... Or make sure you dont buy a system with OEM installed Vista

The choice is yours ............

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:21 am

Martin, do you know any supplier who includes a retail copy with the system any more?

At Microsoft's crazy retail prices it would price the system too high.

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:32 pm

Yes Cid - Aldi - Medion.. for one.

Just check the sticker tab and see that it has the that has the full licence number - not the one with OEM inbetween the numbers.

All systems that come with Vista installed at the factory but not all licences are OEM - just buy wise !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:31 pm

Martin Page wrote:Yes Cid - Aldi - Medion.. for one.
That's interesting to know. Do they provide a full installation DVD or just a recovery one?

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:42 pm

Cid ... when all else fails read the instructions !

If you can get your hands on an English version of Vista - legitimate or other wise -

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:06 pm

Martin, I don't understand the context of your answer. I have an English version of Vista running on my PC.

What I asked was do Aldi/Medion supply a full DVD.

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Sorry Cid - Yes .

I think its a full version of Vista home premium however its on a Medion Disk and it is also Spanish only.
...Hence the need to obtain and English version

I would assume that it isnt the FULL Vista that you get from Microsoft ie - the one with ALL the diferent versions that are availiable should you wish to upgrade by just buying the associated licence.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:04 pm

Martin, I have just received an email from Aldi about their latest offers. They have a Medion laptop including Vista Premium.

They state quite clearly that it is the OEM version.

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:21 pm

........esa vida !

I have a full NON OEM licence key for Windows Vista Home Premium with the computer I have just bought from Aldi ....
If you dont believe me just ask them to open the box ......

Just what is the point your trying to make Cid ?

Its the licence key that is not to be OEM !!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:09 pm

I am not trying to make any point.

I asked you where you could get a PC with a full copy of Vista because I am genuinely interested in finding one.

You said you had got one from Aldi and I do not, for a minute, dispute that fact.

My point, if I had one, is that their current offer is for a laptop with an OEM copy (as detailed in the info on the Medion website).

So, unless they are wrong, I still know of no supplier that will provide a PC with a full retail copy of Vista.

As for your comments about the language - understanding Vista in English is a challenge for most people - especially if they are new users or most likely upgrading from a Windows 98 PC.

Understanding it, even with fluent "normal" Spanish, is not going to be easy as most "fluent" Spanish speakers have no knowledge of the IT terminology in Spanish. At best you would lose 80% of the available functionality.

Regards

Sid

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:08 pm

Computer manufactures who supply a "recovery" disk are a real trial!
I recently tried to install a genuine copy of XP on my laptop, following a re-format, only to find that several key elements I required were not available.
I then used the recovery disk, which of course was stuffed full of "extras" I didn't want! Norton Security, Set up AOL, Touch & launch for the touch pad, acoustic drive silencer ,FIFA football game and sundry other bits of rubbish.
It is nigh on impossible to repair a windows installation with one of these recovery discs, which really then leads to a full, new install.
I think PC/Laptop makers should supply a genuine windows disc PLUS a separate disk containing all the other bits and pieces, thus allowing the end user to choose what to install.
BTW. For those who don't know, Norton "bloatware" is very, very difficult to remove completely using add/remove programs in the control panel. Lots of orphan files, Live update etc. are left, possibly conflicting with the running of a decent firewall and separate anti-virus.
There is a solution. Following numerous complaints, Norton now have available on their website, a Norton Removal Tool, which I recommend you use to get rid of 99.9% of the program. A free registry cleaner such as RegCleaner, can deal with the remnants!

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:07 am

Last edited by Alpujarra on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:09 pm

I bought a new computer last year in Nerja that came with the English version of Windows Home premium on it. The reason I bought it from an English shop was in the hope of getting it all in English (rather than buying it from Eroski etc). Although I've read of problems with Vista, I have (up to now) no complaints with it. Anything is an improvement on my (French language) Windows 98 that I used to use! The computer-man I bought it from had to download something to install my printer, as the existing Lexmark disk was only compatible up to XP, but again, no probs so far.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 pm

Alpujarra, When I power down windows (vista) on a new lappy it kept on defaulting to "download updates" rather than sleep etc.
I just kept on ignoring it.
Anyhow, I relented a week or two back and did the upgrade...........it took ages and to be honest knackered quite a few functions up which had been problem free up to then.

I struggled to "delete" the new pack but it was difficult, I ended up doing a "system restore" which did the trick..............I will stick to "If it ain't broke don't fix it" from now on.

Funnily enough it's still on my back to upgrade............no chance!
Never had this grief with any of the XP machines..............I think XP was (in my view) the most stable version ever.

Kenny

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:58 pm

Alpujarra-My Dad who is a complete computer geek has windows vista.I spoke to him about installing it, on mine and he told me he has had nothing but problems with it.Avoid it.
I still have xp,and have took his advice.If you want me to ask him exactly what problems he has had-I will email him and ask him for you.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:09 pm

Is it possible to buy new laptops anywhere with XP instead of Vista? I've been promising myself one as soon as I get a proper job but having used Vista last year when I was in Madrid would prefer not to have it if there's a choice.