Defection

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Defection

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:39 am

Nearly every thread that I read contains comments like 'I'm ashamed to admit that I'm British'..etc. etc....

Well Australians have a good term to describe such people...'Whinging Poms', and that in my opinion sums up all the Brits who continually moan like this......
Every country, every race , has 'low life' people who have no regard for their fellow mankind, so why do these few Brits abandon their own birthright, where is their Bulldog Spirit..?
I'll bet that the whinging , moaning types, will be the first to head back to Blighty if anything went wrong....
Come on...Fly the British flag with pride...what's up with you.....!!!!! :wink:

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:04 am

I've said it before Benni. I think the people that do this do it because they are trying to convince themselves that they haven't made a mistake in their new choice of country. What better way to boost the idea that you have made the right choice than by dwelling on all the negative aspects of what you have left behind. All it indicates is their own insecurity.
Spain the UK I like them both, and many other places too.
Grouser

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:10 am

Agree with both of you. The people who move over with the attitude that everything in the UK is bad and everything in Spain good, usually become disillusioned and move back after a few years.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:13 am

Grouser, spot on. I too keep on saying the same.
We've found on our visits that the people who constantly slag the UK off for everything are obviously as unhappy as sin with their lot...........usually with bridges severly burnt behind them.

On the other hand, the people who have moved there and still recount happy tales about the UK and will not knock their birthplace are often of a more happy demeanour and do not feel trapped :idea:

At the end of the day though a moaner is a moaner.......OK they'll knock the UK but at the same time vilify local kids for having scooters :roll:

Regards,

Kenny

Don

Postby Don » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:12 pm

:?
thread not about title subject, it seems after all
Last edited by Don on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:24 pm

I think the term "Whinging Poms" refers to Brits who move to Australia but then slag off their new homeland saying how everything was better in the UK. Naturally this cheeses off the Aussies who think if life was so rosy in the UK why don't the whingers go home.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Defection

Postby gavilan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:13 pm

whether I live in the UK or in Spain I still do not like being British!

I do not like the politics there, I dont like their attitudes to immigrants, cant stand the education system, are pathetic unthinking followers of US foreign policies, when will they ever adopt the euro?! you want more reasons?!

and they refused to help the Republicans throughout and after the Spanish Civil War but made use of the exiles to help fight in France and other countries during the 2nd WW ...yuk!

Campo Kenny

Re: Defection

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:28 pm

gavilan wrote: I dont like their attitudes to immigrants
In which way Gav out of interest....too harsh or too lenient?

Kenny

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Defection

Postby gavilan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:21 pm

too ignorant! I used to work in the City of Westminster and met with any number of political refugees and economic migrants there and their stories and skills were amazing, unrecognised and devalued by prejudice and the treatment they received from the authorities and their neighbours was absymal ...
I previously worked in the south London Borough of Lewisham when the Vietnamese 'boat people' first sought so-called sanctuary in the UK and I give credit to the Council that it did try to rehouse these people but again their great British public neighbours treated them appallingly ...
I cant imagine much worse than desperately trying to escape persecution and poverty only to find the same conditions in the country one had such hopes of ... and being expected to learn the language there!

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:32 pm

political refugees and economic migrants

A couple of well used politically correct sound bites here eh?

IMHO, those claiming political asylum/persecution/looking for work are taking successive governments as mugs. Whatever their origin, to get into the U.K., they would have to have passed through umpteen other free european countries with democratically elected governments to get here. So why have they chosen the U.K. which is the most westerly point of europe? --I think we all know the answer-benefits
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:34 pm

Have to agree Jake!

Kenny

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:38 pm

gavilan wrote
I do not like the politics there, I dont like their attitudes to immigrants, cant stand the education system, are pathetic unthinking followers of US foreign policies, when will they ever adopt the euro?! you want more reasons?!
and they refused to help the Republicans throughout and after the Spanish Civil War
Are politics in the UK really any different to those of other Western Countries? I can´t see much difference between the way politicians go about things in Spain or Germany to those in the UK or had you something more specific in mind?

Given the experience of the UK economy versus that of the Eurozone I can see every good reason for the UK never joining. The "one economy fits all" theory of the Eurozone doesn´t work!

As to not helping the Republicans during the Civil War, I think your interpretation of history is somewhat blinkered. Britain was not alone in its non-involvement policy, there were, regretably much more pressing issues on the horizon in those days not least the Nazi rise in Germany. In any event, the Republican cause was largely Communist inspired.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:47 pm

It's best not to have a debate on Britains current immigration policy....I certainly can't talk about it without getting riled and there's a few more like me.

It's one thing getting dewy eyed about the African medic who's been forced out of his home by machete waving thugs in some war torn area of faraway land..no probs if he joins the NHS, knuckles down and pays his way...........but hoardes of Eastern Europeans hanging around the car auctions all day, having their own gangs and not giving 2 *beep* about about the UK or it's inhabitants then that is different. What's wrong with their own country???.they're in no danger.............only of being skint that is :idea: .

Kenny

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Defection

Postby gavilan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:34 pm

JAKE M ... Campo Kenny .... masterob .... you prove my point! you are why I do not like being British!

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:40 pm

gavilan wrote:JAKE M ... Campo Kenny .... masterob .... you prove my point! you are why I do not like being British!
They are simply being honest rather than politically correct. :roll:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:41 pm

Britain's best shut of you mate!

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:44 pm

Yes Kenny but the problem is they take their Politically Correct "Ideals" with them and infect their host country. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:52 pm

It's one step further than that though Spanish.
It's the rude, self righteous and smug way they have of speaking to people.

I tried politely, (maybe ham fistedly) to differentiate between a genuine case/s of people who need help and would genuinely like to move to these shores, and the hoardes who come here for a free ride.........the guy misses the point and then says people like us are the reason he doesn't want to be British......cheeky *beep*!

I/we on here pay through the nose for our places in Spain...we pay our dues to catch a few weeks over there and the authorities still make us feel as though we should be walking under the carpet........................sorry red rag to a bull.

Kenny

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Defection

Postby gavilan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:54 pm

spanish hopes, campo Kenny ... you need not worry as I am only too aware that wherever I go my ideas whether PC or otherwise are always marginal to the masses

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:01 pm

gavilan wrote:JAKE M ... Campo Kenny .... masterob .... you prove my point! you are why I do not like being British!
These people and thier opinons are formed from thier experiences. I think it's wrong to quote as you did....(especially considering that the great nation was built on people fighting for what they believe in)...

After all, they could well respond that your opinions and views are the reason the country is in the mess that it is in!!!!

I will remain nuetral on my views on immigration, but you speak of how disgusted you were at the treatment of a certain set of people who were "judged" because of thier creed/colour/origin, yet you "judge" then pass quite a confrontational comment based on a few lines of text!!

And "rose coloured glasses aside" the masses aren't reluctant to help the needy (like the boat people), they are angry that the not so needy are taking advantage!