Major problem with car insurance over 90 days

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
zanuck
Resident

Major problem with car insurance over 90 days

Postby zanuck » Sat May 24, 2014 1:23 pm

In March I spoke with my UK car insurance company - Prudential about our forthcoming 5 months trip to Spain, and asked about extending my comprehensive insurance for the five months.

The agent told me that as standard, the policy gives me 90 days foreign cover included in the policy and to call back at the end of May to give them details of the trip so that I could have the 90 days period extended and that there may be a charge for that.

Just called them, and they have dropped a bombshell.

The 90 days is the maximum period in any one policy year that they will insure my car for continental use; so although my policy runs until after the planned return to UK date of 1 December 2014, and will continue to be insured in the UK, there will be a two month or so period in Spain where the car won't be insured.

Prudential's underwriters refuse to sell me a further 90 days non-UK cover.

Prudential has told me that I can now legally have two car insurance policies running on the same vehicle as long as I agree to only make claims on one of them, so maybe the solution is that I have to take out an additional policy with another company just before the 90 days expires and if I have an accident or need to make a claim, claim on the second policy.

So, by keeping within the terms of my policy and notifying Prudential that I am taking the car to Spain for 5 months I have put myself in the position of having no Spanish cover from 25 September to the end of November when we return to the UK.

I can't be the first person who has wanted to take their UK registered, taxed and insured car to Spain, has anyone else in the forum had this 90 days experience and how did you resolve it?.

I don't want to drive the car in Spain for two months uninsured because as sure as eggs is eggs, that's the time period when I will have the need to make a claim.

Urgent assistance please, only four weeks to ferry sailing date.

Many thanks - Zanuck

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Major problem with car insurance over 90 days

Postby costakid » Sat May 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Try Saga. 12 months euro cover.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat May 24, 2014 4:43 pm

" The 90 days is the maximum period in any one policy year that they will insure my car for continental use; so although my policy runs until after the planned return to UK date of 1 December 2014, and will continue to be insured in the UK, there will be a two month or so period in Spain where the car won't be insured."

You have either misunderstood , unlikely, or they have phrased it in such a way as to make you think you will have 'no insurance'.

You cannot have " no insurance" unless they specifically write to you cancelling it. You will always be insured , It is the law , they are required to cover you for the minimum road traffic acts , as a legal requirement.
All that will happen after the 90 days abroad is up is that , if memory serves me correctly, it will revert to third party, fire & theft; in the event of a claim.

" Prudential has told me that I can now legally have two car insurance policies running on the same vehicle as long as I agree to only make claims on one of them," :wtf: :lolno: I find that very hard to believe even if it was in writing.

" I don't want to drive the car in Spain for two months uninsured because as sure as eggs is eggs, that's the time period when I will have the need to make a claim."
Hope PoR's not reading this ! :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat May 24, 2014 7:53 pm

costakid wrote:Try Saga. 12 months euro cover.
Hi costakid
I don't need 12 month's cover, I'll happily pay for 90 days, but thanks for your reply.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat May 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi gus-lopez
Many thanks for your reply; I was on the phone today for 58 minutes, the last 20 or so with the customer service rep's manager, so I don't think I misunderstood.

It would be great if someone else would comment on this part of your reply "You cannot have " no insurance" unless they specifically write to you cancelling it. You will always be insured , It is the law , they are required to cover you for the minimum road traffic acts , as a legal requirement.
All that will happen after the 90 days abroad is up is that , if memory serves me correctly, it will revert to third party, fire & theft; in the event of a claim. "

I also am sceptical about the reality of having two insurance policies running on one vehicle - after all why would you? We all hate having to pay for car insurance the first time, so doing it twice??

Ref "Hope PoR's not reading this ! :lol:" - me too, but I'm sure that he will be.

Thanks - Z

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat May 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi zanuck,

"I don't need 12 month's cover, I'll happily pay for 90 days, but thanks for your reply"

What costa and myself are saying is ditch current company and go with Saga, the 12 months Euro cover is included.

When you get the feel of long chill "holidays" in the sun you will be going more often and for longer...... 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Thats exactly what I was saying Zanuck. Remember tho you need to be over 50 to go with saga

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:05 pm

I think you are forgetting a rather important point. You can only keep a foreign registered car in Spain for a maximum of 60 days. So you can't keep your car here for 5 months anyway.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 24, 2014 10:11 pm

gus-lopez wrote:"
All that will happen after the 90 days abroad is up is that , if memory serves me correctly, it will revert to third party, fire & theft; in the event of a claim.
I think it will be third party only which is the minimum requirement to drive in any country.

The insurance company will give you a green card and that is always valid for the entire period of the insurance policy, there are no limitations.

However, if you feel you need full cover then a change of insurer is the only option.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat May 24, 2014 10:31 pm

"I think you are forgetting a rather important point. You can only keep a foreign registered car in Spain for a maximum of 60 days. So you can't keep your car here for 5 months anyway."

I think this is 6 months.............Confirmation anyone......... :?:

From the RAC driving in Spain................

"Vehicles from the UK may be imported into Spain for up to 6 months in any period of 12 months. When driving in Spain the following documents should be carried:"

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat May 24, 2014 10:43 pm

From a post from sid last August:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31490&p=302239&hil ... in#p302239

"A non resident can keep the car in Spain indefinitely on UK plates so long as it is not used for more than 6 months in a year and has a valid UK tax and MOT and of course insurance. A Spanish ITV is not acceptable so you would have no option but to take it back to the UK for an MOT."

So I think you are correct Enrique :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:27 am

That post is fairly old. I think you will find the law changed on 9 May 2014.
I surprised Sid has not confirmed, or otherwise.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun May 25, 2014 7:49 am

With no border controls that law is hard to prove. You may have gone to Gib or Portugal for the weekend and then technically you are re importing the car agin. I would say keep it uk legal and you will be ok. If we are supposed to all be the same in Europe I can't see why Spain has a different law to the UK where a foreigner gets 6 months to register there vehicle.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 25, 2014 8:02 am

ajtg1952 wrote:That post is fairly old. I think you will find the law changed on 9 May 2014.
I surprised Sid has not confirmed, or otherwise.
There were a raft of new traffic laws introduced on May 9th including a "comment" about tightening up on foreign registered cars.

However, there are no details of exactly what is being proposed - that will have to wait until later this year. Similarly the speed limits on certain roads will increase from 120 to 130 but as yet, they haven't decided which roads will be affected.

Basically the new law allows them to make changes in the future, but as yet it means nothing has changed.

Incidentally the "6 month" rule is EU law so that is unlikely to change, but it is possible that they may introduce a rule that says foreign cars must be "registered" with Trafico so that it is easier to trace them in cases of traffic violations etc.

Sid

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun May 25, 2014 9:39 am

costakid wrote:. I would say keep it uk legal .

costakid
Coming back to my original issue, the problem that I am having with my insurance company is that they will only extend my UK fully comp insurance to continental Europe for 90 days and I will be in Spain for around 150 days; I will check my policy documents to see if the cover falls back to third party after 90 days.

Enrique changing to Saga may be ok at renewal time in December, but not ideal three quarters of the way through my policy year, but if all else fails....

To make it clear to everyone, I am not importing the car, "simply" driving it to Spain for a five months extended holiday and so it doesn't need to be re-registered.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun May 25, 2014 9:49 am

Hi zanuck,
Check out what you would get back if you pull out of current policy............ :idea:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 25, 2014 8:18 pm

gus-lopez wrote: Hope PoR's not reading this ! :lol:
I am... :twisted:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun May 25, 2014 8:42 pm

zanuck wrote:
costakid wrote:. I would say keep it uk legal .

costakid
Coming back to my original issue, the problem that I am having with my insurance company is that they will only extend my UK fully comp insurance to continental Europe for 90 days and I will be in Spain for around 150 days; I will check my policy documents to see if the cover falls back to third party after 90 days.

To make it clear to everyone, I am not importing the car, "simply" driving it to Spain for a five months extended holiday and so it doesn't need to be re-registered.
It isn't the car that is the problem like some are posting . It is you. Once here over 90 days you are required to register as a resident. The best way once here is to obtain a "certificate of non-residence" from the foreigners office/National police to confirm that you aren't.

The car will only become a problem if you are pulled & considered to have been here long enough for the Guardia to consider you a " resident" & issue 'change of plate ' notification. Then you'll have problems.
Todos somos Lorca.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 pm

You are not registering as a resident, only that you are a foreigner who has been in Spain for over 90 days.
This does nothing to solve this guy's problem in that he is insured with the wrong company! There have been several suggestions in this thread about companies that will offer continental cover for longer periods than his present one. Of course they may well be more expensive, but this would only prove the old adage that one gets what one pays for.
At least he is not talking about driving around uninsured, just trying to get cover.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 25, 2014 9:29 pm

peteroldracer wrote:You are not registering as a resident, only that you are a foreigner who has been in Spain for over 90 days.
Absolutely correct.

Signing onto the register is a legal requirement after 90 continuous days spent in Spain as, under EU law, you are no longer classified as a tourist and obliged to leave the country unless you sign on the register which merely gives you the legal right to continue to stay in Spain.

In no way does it make you a resident in the legal/fiscal sense. That only occurs after you spend more than 183 days in Spain in one calendar year.

Sid