Castillejar - Sites

As well as the cave dwellings, there are some beautiful churches to see.

The Hermitage of Santo Domingo

The hermitage of the patron saint of Castillejar, Santo Domingo de Guzman is a fine building to view from the outside, but is sadly neglected and in ruins in its interior. It has been closed up for many years after having been destroyed during the Civil War. Restoration has never taken place after that time. However during the August fiesta of the Patron Saint, there is a special mass and procession with a local band in celebration of the saint.

Parochial Church

This church, which dates back to around 1650, was constructed on the ruins of an ancient fortress. It is built in the Mudejar / Toledo style in brick and stone. The tower is in renaissance style with the typical symbol of the rose, denoting the territory of the Archbishop of Toledo. An inscription remains on the wall from 1756 and the parochial archives contain documents from the 16th century. Several sculptures are still in the church, the most interesting of which is an image of Christ carved in wood and finished polychrome. This sculpture belongs to the Granada school. There is also a sculpture, once again wood carved and finished in polychrome from the Valencia school.

Barrio de la Cruz & Barrio San Marcos

These two main sections of the village are both exceptionally beautiful and the many of the houses are in the traditional cave dwelling style. Some are tightly knitted into the little village streets and others facing outwards with spectacular views across the valleys and mountains.

La Moreria

This amazing collection of cave dwellings was once inhabited by the Moors during the time of the Muslim occupation. They are high up off the banks of the river Guardal and very difficult to access, but an incredible site to see.

Molino del Duque

This beautiful old mill, which was probably built on the site of a Roman Mill in 1638 and later enlarged by the Duke (el Duque) of Alba. It was originally powered by water and is constructed almost entirely out of wood. The large old diesel engine which is thought to have been added during the 19th century, since diesel engines were invented during the previous century. The diesel engine would have been used at times when water levels ran low. The flower produced in the mill is thought to have been used both for domestic use and for animal feed. The present owner is modernising the attached house but is attending to preserve the actual mill.

Search Hotels near Castillejar



calendar
Show only available hotels

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share