Sold house, tax rebate a little short perhaps

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Ethan_Anda
Tourist

Sold house, tax rebate a little short perhaps

Postby Ethan_Anda » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:49 pm

Hi guys

When we sold our apt, a small bit was kept back, which has now been rebated, however we gave power of attorney to our solicitor, who closed our bank account the same day they transferred the remaining monies in the account over to us in UK.
When it arrived in our account, we agreed that it looked short and the amount of money that was in our bank account was slightly higher than what was transferred over.

As the account is now closed, we are trying to find out the amount that was sent as a tax rebate. As we are not sure where our solicitor is in all of this, we would like to contact the gov dept who made the rebate.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who we should contact? We also thought the bank but as the account is now closed, can they help?

Any advice would be great guys

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Sold house, tax rebate a little short perhaps

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:52 pm

I'm not sure about Spain but i think you can still request bank statements from a closed account in the Uk for a set amount of years..it may well be that it is similar with Spanish banks..Give them a try.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 am

Ask your lawyer for a copy of the form 210 upon which your capital gains tax declaration would have been made and the refund claimed. Tell him that you need it for HMRC and your capital gains tax declaration in the UK.

Failing this you will need to try to contact the Agencia Tributaria, the Spanish tax office, and ask them. This is not easy at the best of times. There is a telephone helpline but you would need to speak to them in Spanish. The number from the UK is +34 915 548770. They would not be able to go into your specific case but may be able to advise you of the best way to make the enquiry.

The final amount refunded by the tax office may be less than the amount claimed if you were not up to date with your non-resident tax payments.

When a bank account is closed you are no longer able to access it online but if you contact the bank they may be able to provide a final statement.

It is usually the case that, when an account is closed, the bank will make some deductions for pending bank charges so the final figure may not reflect the amount that was shown in your last statement.

Ethan_Anda
Tourist

Postby Ethan_Anda » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:17 pm

Thanks so much guys

I will try all avenues and see what sticks. A call to Spain may be an idea. As for solicitor, until I find out they haven’t pocketed it, I may favour the other routes. Nevertheless it could be the banks deductions.

Thanks again

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:51 pm

More than likely the solicitor has had his hand in the pot. Its the norm in Spain.