Bank Charges

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Bank Charges

Postby anyroads » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:07 pm

For years, I have being using a Caxton card for holiday spending money, usually using my own Spanish bank, La Caixa to make withdrawls.

Back in May, there was no charge at the cash point, however, this October there was a charge of 2 euro. I bit the bullet and went ahead with the withdrawl.

A few days later I tried BBVA, and this was 1.87 euro. Again I went ahead with the withdrawl. Later again I tried Santander, their charge was 5 euro, which I declined.

Finally I tried Unicaja, lo and behold, no charge !. All the withdrawl amounts to then were for the same amount.I used Unicaja on two more occasions without charge.

Disappointed La Caixa have started to charge. I will of course be using Unicaja until such time as they join the rest and start charging.

anyroads

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Bank Charges

Postby alpineSi » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Aside from cash machines, I just had some bumpf from Sabadell which seems to suggest they are going to start charging a maintenance for their previously free salary-deposit current account. Seems to all be going the same way, paying banks for the service of holding our money (already the case in many countries).

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:37 am

Still no charge at Unicaja mid November.

Hopefully this will continue...

La Caixa have now started to moan about monies being paid into accounts over the counter, trying to steer people towards their "cash machines".
Maybe in a few more years, they will be able to get rid of half the staff, and just have a few token people in the branches !

anyroads

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:20 am

Cajamar have an account called " Wefferent". Basicaly it is a free account providing that you do all your banking either online or through their ATMs.
If you need to physicaly go into the bank for any reason there is a monthly charge of 6 Euros.
I have had this account for more than 12 months and it works very well.
Hardworking resident !!

adamski
Tourist

Postby adamski » Sun May 01, 2022 3:16 pm

I switched to Bankia from CaixaBank in 2017 to escape CaixaBank’s charges. At that time the Bankia staff in my part of Spain could not have been more helpful.
I then enjoyed four years of trouble free banking with no charges.
Following the takeover of Bankia in 2021 I found myself back with CaixaBank. My new assigned branch contact made it very clear that she couldn’t care less whether I remained a customer or not.
I looked at accounts with Wise and Revolut, but decided against them because my money would not be protected if they went out of business. Also, some people online say they’ve needed a Spanish IBAN to be able to set up some direct debits.
The only Spanish bank I could find which would offer me a non-resident account with no charges was Cajamar - their ‘Wefferent’ account comes with a debit card, you can use an app or their website, and it’s completely free if you operate it online.
As a non-resident I was not able to open the account online, but Cajamar have a nearby branch to me which I visited in March 2022. All the staff were very helpful and the manager spoke excellent English. They needed to see my passport, NIE, P60 and I needed a Spanish mobile number to verify certain transactions (their system will not accept a UK number). You can install the app on your UK mobile though.
It was quite easy to change the direct debits over myself, online, and I’ve just made a note to check that the first payment for each of them goes through OK. So far, the electricity and water have been fine.
I reduced the CaixaBank balance down to zero and then went into the branch and asked them to close the account.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Ana de Chipiona
Tourist

Postby Ana de Chipiona » Tue May 31, 2022 4:37 pm

adamski wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:16 pm I switched to Bankia from CaixaBank in 2017 to escape CaixaBank’s charges. At that time the Bankia staff in my part of Spain could not have been more helpful.
I then enjoyed four years of trouble free banking with no charges.
Following the takeover of Bankia in 2021 I found myself back with CaixaBank. My new assigned branch contact made it very clear that she couldn’t care less whether I remained a customer or not.
I looked at accounts with Wise and Revolut, but decided against them because my money would not be protected if they went out of business. Also, some people online say they’ve needed a Spanish IBAN to be able to set up some direct debits.
The only Spanish bank I could find which would offer me a non-resident account with no charges was Cajamar - their ‘Wefferent’ account comes with a debit card, you can use an app or their website, and it’s completely free if you operate it online.
As a non-resident I was not able to open the account online, but Cajamar have a nearby branch to me which I visited in March 2022. All the staff were very helpful and the manager spoke excellent English. They needed to see my passport, NIE, P60 and I needed a Spanish mobile number to verify certain transactions (their system will not accept a UK number). You can install the app on your UK mobile though.
It was quite easy to change the direct debits over myself, online, and I’ve just made a note to check that the first payment for each of them goes through OK. So far, the electricity and water have been fine.
I reduced the CaixaBank balance down to zero and then went into the branch and asked them to close the account.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!
Hi Adamski
I sent you a PM but thought it might be quicker to post here! I am interested in getting a Wefferent account as a non-resident. Please can you let me know how much they charge for transfer of money from a UK bank? Thanks

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:13 pm

Still no charge at Unicaja in June with my Caxton card. Long may it continue.

anyroads

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:02 pm

Without wishing to start a war of words here I do have to put my two penneth in.
I find it astonishing that so many people complain about having to pay for cash withdrawals, it is after all a service which you can accept or decline, in the days of high cost consumerism, petrol, utility charges and everything else costing more these days why is it such a bone of contention to have to pay a couple of euros to get your cash. I have a simple method, I withdraw 5 or 600 euros at the start of every month which normally costs me 2 euros (which is less than the cost of a drink) this is my walking around money and everything else is paid either by direct debit or bank, credit card at the point of purchase, I really don't think it's worth bothering about, maybe it's a big thing for those on a limited budget but still it can't be more than a few euros a month !

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:29 pm

Hear! hear! Manchesteral.
Life's too short,as they say.
I spend €2 a month on café tips. :roll:
I assume you refer to withdrawing from ATMs other than those of your own bank?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:20 am

jonbar.1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:29 pm Hear! hear! Manchesteral.
Life's too short,as they say.
I spend €2 a month on café tips. :roll:
I assume you refer to withdrawing from ATMs other than those of your own bank?
In Las Palmas I use Deutsche bank, a t m service is free, in Finland I use Danske bank 2 euros per withdrawal and yes life is too short !

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:22 pm

i agree wholeheartedly but there are many peeps who will sit all day in a darkened room monitoring leccy usage to the nth degree in a bid to save 27 centimos a year and brag about it on forums :lol: As Warwick said "Lifes too Short"

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:57 pm

Ah yes,

But I have a few more Euros for the plate church collections in Spain on Sundays ( £15 per Sunday in the UK ).

No doubt, I will get my just reward !

anyroads

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:08 pm

Sabadell are advertising on Spanish tv an online only account with no charges

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:15 pm

New Chase bank is the way to go for a UK bank account. I opened an account and thinking of using it as my main account.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:41 pm

I think I am paying eur 35 a quarter at present, plus I believe eur 36 a year for my debit card, so it is not as if I am not paying.

I would not bother switching, in case they messed up my direct debits...

anyroads

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:30 am

Cajasur have been randomly charging me for commission and maintenance for quite some years that I've put up with, but I recently got €50+ for the two (not involving the debit card). The only thing I can think of is that I went in to pay the tasa for a TIE (€12) so I'm head-scratching for this sudden surge. The only problem with online banking is I do like to walk in, when it's not 08:00-09:00 on the 2nd Tuesday after a blue moon, to my branch and tell them I want to pay my various taxes. If an online account (apologies if this has been covered; my laptop is overheating) allows me to still do this, I'm keen to boot these money-suckers.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:06 am

anyroads wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:41 pm I think I am paying eur 35 a quarter at present, plus I believe eur 36 a year for my debit card, so it is not as if I am not paying.

I would not bother switching, in case they messed up my direct debits...

anyroads
Both OTH and i have a joint account but i didn't want a debit card, one is enough.It means one set of charges for the card.We are also paying 35 a quarter, thought about switching to the well hailed wise account but i've noticed some people are having probs with some of their direct debits.I can't be bothered with the hassel so sticking with what we have.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:05 pm

Again, ours is a joint account.

When I was aware of the two debit card charges, years ago, I cancelled one. The eur 36 is for one card.

anyroads

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:18 am

Just had a note from my bank( Sabadell) that the €15 per quarter I was paying is being reduced to Zero! :)
They reckon it's because of our 9 year patronage.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:36 am

Open bank ran by santander free online banking have good reviews