SUBMARINES

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

SUBMARINES

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:03 am

Weeks ago I mentioned once that I had served in Submarines, since then I have been subjected to constant sick humour ,pathetic jibes, and general bad taste jokes all relating to the fact that I served in the Royal Navy...Now I am quite happy to be the 'butt' of anyones jokes and I do have a good sense of humour and can laugh at myself, however I resent this constant abuse....I was a young teenager when I started my service in the RN, and I was deeply affected by the loss of several of my shipmates, killed while doing their duty.So I now ask you Spanish Hopes to stop with this line of what you consider to be humour...
Perhaps it would help if I gave you some idea of what it was like being a crew member of a sub. I was still aged 18 when I undertook the training required before I could go to sea in a sub., I had several times to do the 100 foot escape tank...This was the most terrifying ordeal I had ever undertaken, and I absolutely hated it.Before going into subs. I had served on an aircraft carrier and my job involved assisting the aircraft to take off and land , sometimes in pitch black and appalling weather conditions.. But the training and subsequent service in subs was far worse than anything I had ever undertaken..Going to sea in a sinister black killing machine is an experience that I will never forget, but wish that I could.. The conditions on board the sub. were dismal, 65 men having to work, eat and sleep in very cramped conditions, it was built in 1943 and had seen wartime service, it leaked everytime we dived and the engines broke down nearly every time we went to sea...On one occasion while dived we hit a ship and lost our radio and one of the periscopes and it took a very long time to get the dam thing to surface..I was the youngest on board by 7 years, and felt that I couldn't show that I was terrified and hated being on board...When we came back from patrol, usually after 3 weeks at sea, we were all filthy and exhausted, and on most occasions 'hit' the nearest pub...
43 years ago, next month, while on our usual patrol from Gib. to Corsica, we arrived just off Salobrena, during the night, waiting to send a boat ashore at first light..I remember clearly looking at the many fishing boats bobbing around as the Spanish fishermen just carried on with their duties..I went ashore with the boat to collect mail, orders and spares, where we landed was sugar cane plantations ,now it is wall to wall housing...
So I have given you a little insight into how life was in the Navy at this time, and since I left I have hardly mentioned anything about my service , until a few months ago when former shipmates started to contact me.. I really resent anyone having a go at any of the services, everyday I watch the news and hear that more young service personnel have died doing their duty.....
So lay off......

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Submarines

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Benidorm

I found your post very moving. I once saw a documentary on tv about the training for submariners. You wouln't get me within 100 miles of that 100 foot escape mechanism. My own dad served on the Russian convoys and OH's dad was torpeoded in the med and half the ships company was lost. I asked both of them to tell me about their experiences in the war, but neither wanted to and I quickly dropped the subject. I'm just thankfull that my generation (born 47, ironically wouldn't be here if not for Adolf Hitler cus mom and dad met while she was a wren in Malta) haven't had to go to war, en mas. Skip on to 2007. We have a nephew serving in Iraq. Yes, he signed up volunteraly and knew what he was geting into, but that doesn't make it any easier for the ones at home when news that yet another young life has been wasted.

Rick G

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Submarines

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:49 pm

Rick Gale wrote: news that yet another young life has been wasted.
Whilst accepting that the death of a young man or woman is sad for those left, I don't think it is right to think of it as a waste.
To die in the process of willingly upholding the wishes of one's government and in the service of one's country- remember, willingly, is surely an honourable death - unlike other young men who steal a car, take drugs and/or booze, then smash themselves and their friends into a lampost - that is a waste. Too many of the friends of my youth died (see my 'handle'), but it was while doing the thing they loved most. If you haven't faced the prospect of death, you haven't lived, some might say.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Re: Submarines

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:02 pm

peteroldracer wrote:
Rick Gale wrote: news that yet another young life has been wasted.
Whilst accepting that the death of a young man or woman is sad for those left, I don't think it is right to think of it as a waste.

Good point. I hadn'thought of it that way

Rick G

Retro P
Resident

Submariners

Postby Retro P » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Benidorm, Some people are unable to conduct normal relationships with others on a face to face basis due to their own social inadequacies and therefore use the only things they have as a medium of communication, on web forums such as this it's usually rhetoric, sarcasm and ultimately criticism of their chosen mark.

You will usually find that this sort are lacking in guts or moral fibre, call it what you will, Tom Wolfe described it as "the right stuff" the truth is that they are usually lacking in guts and would probably not be able to handle themselves in combat, consequently when they meet or perhaps in your case I should say become aware of someone who has achieved more than they have in terms of personal bravery, they attack, not personally of course, that would involve confrontation where they would be exposed and therefore discredited, but with words and of course hiding behind a false name, we all use false names here of course but most of use do not constantly whine and dig at others, only the weak and unfulfilled use this method.

My father was a submariner during the second world war and twice survived attacks on his vessel, once by another sub and once by a surface vessel, whenever I approached this subject he declined to go into detail other than to say he was a lucky man.

People who attack you in this manner actually believe they are humorous (you will no doubt get a whingeing apology telling you how you totally misinterpreted his comments ) but an apology from his ilk you will not get, this sort also believe that others will find their comments funny, unfortunately a few sad individuals do.
My advice to you is to forget these dolts and be proud of the fact that you have served your nation with pride, I for one am proud of our armed forces, good luck 8)
Retro P.
Ah! the full english!!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:47 pm

In response to a post in another thread Spanish Hopes wrote:
Usually he has a couple of other ID's at the same time which he uses to bolster his main ID with back-up when he feels he is flagging. Oh what a tangled web he weaves.

Re-arrange this name into a well known troll or dimwit;

RETRO P

T.O.P. (oops someone has taken the P again) E.R.

PLEASE At least try to be alittle more inventive.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:31 pm

Benidorm - I too found your post very moving.

My father served in Submarines - HMS Templar is one name I remember off photos/info I found after he died - throughout WW2 and found it very hard to discuss in later years when I was old enough to ask questions.

Anyone who has the courage to go into one of those vulnerable tin cans has my upmost respect, as does anyone who enlists in any of the Services.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:41 pm

Re a particularly boring poster: I have found that people from York are like their local countryside - flat and boring, and anyone that deliberately goes to live in Marbella ? Well!!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:48 pm

I agree with others here that we should respect and be proud of our serving men and women.
I also agree that (well at least the ones I know) don't normally openly wish to discuss their experiences :?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:49 pm

Spot on and in total agreement Lorraine.

Kenny

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:23 pm

It's interesting to me that it is the male contributers who constantly snipe at each other on this forum and the females seemingly just get on with their business.
Also, of course, people usually suspect in others only of what they themselves are capable.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:42 pm

What I wrote about submarines happened over 40 years ago,this is the first time I've ever written anything about it..I've only just started to think about it after being contacted by former shipmates, who I haven't seen for over 40 years.I have never joined an ex service club or attended any reunions, and if you asked my children what ships that I have served on , they wouldn't be able to tell you....If you walked around my house, you would find no reference to my 'Navy Days'.....

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:11 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Re a particularly boring poster: I have found that people from York are like their local countryside - flat and boring, and anyone that deliberately goes to live in Marbella ? Well!!
Peteroldracer, thanks for your uplifting coments, I did not deliberately go to live in Marbella, my wife told me to :lol: I'll try not to be so flat and boring in future, however I really hate bullies and will speak against them whenever I feel I should, by the way we have a really beautiful cathedral in York and some of the finest soldiers in the world 8)
Ah! the full english!!

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:14 pm

as a combat veteran
(stated to establish experience)
i (as well as the veterans i know) have always felt that
discussing our experiences was an easy route to 'sympathy' or 'heroism' and ultimately led to misunderstanding rather than
to any understanding...
as to the loss of any life in combat, i return often
to the poetry of wilfred owen...

perhaps, beni, it is a dialog best left between shipmates...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:53 pm

NEVADA,
How very deep and droll you are, but do you ever say anything nice?...you old warrior you....I just state that as recognition of your devotion to duty. :?

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:09 am

honest is about as nice as i get beni...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:39 am

NEVADA,
Well that is comforting to know, I'll bet that you are kind to your dogs though.. :wink:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:14 am

spanish hopes wrote
Ha Ha thats really funny..coming from you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am

silver wrote:spanish hopes wrote
Ha Ha thats really funny..coming from you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now, Now Silver!, I have had a lot of PM's asking me to leave the daft old coot alone, as you are not completely with it. So don't start. My contributions to Age Concern do not stretch to letting you get away with everything. :roll: :roll:

You can not keep on professing to be the much maligned innocent if when I leave you alone you insist on coming after me with your infantile jibes now can you?
I much prefer to ignore you and have you ignore me. I am happily ignoring *yawn* at the moment so adding you to the list would be easy.
Now make your sympathetic fans who obviously care and worry about you more than I do happy by avoiding me like the plague so that i can do the same to you. Thank You.

bored to tears
Tourist

Postby bored to tears » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:57 am

Now, Now Silver!, I have had a lot of PM's asking me to leave the daft old coot alone, as you are not completely with it
they maybe you should realise that you are boring everyone here and give it a rest :?:

why do you have to be so rude and belligerent to other posters, by the way nobody made you moderator or admin - so most people are fed up with you constantly tell us who can post, comment etc. give up on the bullying please - its tedious... give up on the vendetta for the mysterious "topsy" nobody else cares for your paranoia.

The board was a much pleasanter place when you weren't posting. Yes we all know that we have a couple of idiot trolls on the board, but the vast majority just ignore them - hence no need for constant insults and conflict resulting in threads being deleted.

strangely when you weren't posting no threads where deleted. :roll: