4x4 recommendations

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:41 am

What do people think of the tarted up 2007 Defenders?
Brian.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:48 am

Love its looks and improvements particularly interior but not too fond of the bonnet bulge and the new engine is yet to prove itself. So we will see, heres a pic for anyone who hasnt seen it yet. That im happy to report is the concensus from UK, USA and Spanish LR forums - yes im on them all!

More pics here http://www.lapworthcars.co.uk/index.php ... ender-2007

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:52 am

Have you used Lapworths?
Brian.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:55 am

daneinspain wrote:That im happy to report is the concensus from UK, USA and Spanish LR forums - yes im on them all!
Could you pm me pointers to those forums please?
Brian.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:57 am

of course

http://www.lro.com/forum

http://www.clublandrovertt.org

http://www.landroverforums.com/

and no i havent used lapworths just found their pictures searching on google images

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:04 am

Thanks. Only asked about Lapworths because I just asked them for a quote.
Brian.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:08 am

If youre buying in spain I can recommend Estepona Motor we have always bought our range rovers from them after making the initial mistake of buying from C de Salamanca - they lost the one we ordered, thats right just "Lost" it! I havent heard bad things about the one in fuengirola so they must be good too and as for UK I wouldnt have a clue try asking on the lro forum.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:15 am

I'm after a Defender 90 station wagon.

Got through three Range Rovers in East Africa, using them in testing conditions in Kenya and Tanzania. I'm a great fan of their abilities but the running costs are beyond me now. I used to average 14 miles per gallon over there.
Brian.

julian
Andalucia Guru

defender

Postby julian » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:22 am

My defender is dark green (under the dirt) one of the tarted up "extremes", it´s a great car, I would only change it for a new defender

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:38 pm

any views on the renault scenic 4x4?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:33 pm

An neighbour has an RX4 scenic..............he swears by it but to be honest he only does about 5 furlongs per year in it, but loves it.

Slightly off topic but still 4x4 related. I sat in and had a quick drool at what is for me the ultimate 4x4 at a show back in January.

The bowler Wildcat......what a piece of kit. This one had windows and user friendly trim too 8)

Be a laugh sucking 911's up your tailpipe in one of them on the Autovia :lol:

Kenny

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:44 pm

oscarposcar wrote:any views on the renault scenic 4x4?
Piece of ****, my brother has one, he hates it!
Ah! the full english!!

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:06 pm

Renault? have you seen watchdog lately or customer satisfaction surveys? French cars zey have gone kaput! Most modern french cars fall apart and last a couple of years - renault arent what they used to be!

Renault scenic is a van with 4 wheel drive, consider a 2nd hand audi allroad or volvo 4wd. You will have 4 wheels spinning but no real ground clearance...

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Get yourself a Nissan Patrol from late eighties, early nineties, rare as hens teeth though!
Ah! the full english!!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:02 pm

What about the Suzuki range e.g. Vitara (secondhand) they seem to be quite popular around us.?

I want something to occasionally pull a trailer (750Kg), occasionally truly go off road, go to the shops, airport runs and that is economical.

olive

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Olive the Vitara is a very good shout for Spain. It will do what most other bigger 4x4s can do and with a bit of ecomomy. Also a lot of them are made in Spain and parts are easy to obtain.

Kenny

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Vitara are notorious for having axles that break very easily at the sign of slight offroading, you get what you pay for.

Jeep Wrangler is similar to the vitara still cheap but much better. You could also get an ex military land rover defender theyre quite cheap and economical and good fun but quite bare but not good for airport runs.

From what you say you need a good all rounder so I would look at a 2nd hand Range Rover or a new land rover freelander

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Dane, we have completly differing views on small 4x4s. I think Vitaras are as tough as old boots.............If I needed a vehicle to save my life I'd go for a Vitara over a K powered Freelander everday of the week .........no question. Freelanders are a notorious pain in the butt and thats why you see 3 year old examples with lots of owners on the logbook...........don't know anything about the new one though.

The Wrangler in my opinion is only similar to a Vitara soft top for one reason......no space for luggage with rear seats down, other than that they're chalk and cheese in every mechanical and driving issue.

Kenny

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:04 pm

i've just bought a 4L cherokee, leather seats and air con.. but it seems a bit "lollopy", bit like riding a camel.. lol ... bargin price

but i guess you wont like one cos it aint new ;)

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:51 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:Also a lot of them are made in Spain and parts are easy to obtain.
Kenny
When a side window was smashed in by thieves, a replacement had to come from Japan which took two months. So I don´t agree at all.
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"