A Jumbo Jet for 30 or Ryanair for 300?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:18 pm

anewlife wrote:If you can afford to buy and run a 4x4, then you can afford to pay the extra tax that has just been put on!!

That's quite right too, although I personally don't mind what I have to pay in terms of taxes etc, as long as I have the right to drive what I want without having to listen to the bleatings of the tree huggers, :roll:
Ah! the full english!!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:56 pm

CityMike that must be part of the same legislation bundle I heard about on 'Gardeners Question Time' yesterday. MOT's for lawnmowers together with seat belts and air bags for ride on machines. You also need to offset your carbon emissions prior to having a barbeque or face an on the spot fine.
Re John Travolta: anyone who subscribes to a religion invented by a second rate Sci Fi writer has to be a person of dubious judgment.
L. Ron Hubbard , if I'm not mistaken, reckoned that the best way to make a shed load of money was to invent a religion, then when the books weren't shifting fast enough went ahead and did just that.
Regarding fossil fuels and the squandering thereof. It is worth considering that the affluent lifestyle we live is largely underwritten by cheap energy supplied by fossil fuels. These deposits laid down over millions of years are going to be exhausted relatively soon having been consumed in little over one hundred years. Not a very good equation and something we need to focus our minds on. Now I am not a tree hugger but if I had to have a tag I would certainly prefer that, to one of gas guzzler.
Grouser

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:19 pm

Fair (to middlin) comment Grouser and each to his own, however it's worth remembering that we elect and employ governments to invoke legislation, as far as I'm concerned if I'm not breaking any laws then I'm doing ok.

I do understand the need to curb certain abuses of nature and carbon emissions are definitely important, but the wider issues that surround them are more likely to get the desired results, there are untold opportunities for wind farming around the British Isles yet it seems that whenever someone propose this they are met with objections from the "environmentalists" who then say it's not aesthetically pleasing, you can't, unfortunately, please everyone.
Ah! the full english!!

Bernipops
Tourist

Postby Bernipops » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:31 pm

I heard about on 'Gardeners Question Time' yesterday. MOT's for lawnmowers together with seat belts and air bags for ride on machines. You also need to offset your carbon emissions prior to having a barbeque or face an on the spot fine.
I was up in arms about this as well until my other half pointed out it was 1st April ........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Yes well Bernie you would have to admit that revealing a policy package on 'Gardeners Question Time' is a bit far fetched even for this government. 'Richard and Judy', maybe.....
Grouser

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:52 pm

This mornings news is that John Travolta had to make an emergency landing at Shannon Airport (west coast of Ireland), due to engine failure on his Boing 707 - 138. It is an ex Quantas 707 with registration N707JT. So it has been re registered as an American plane (N), but it is still flying with Quantas Australia colours! (Is this a new tax shelter???)

He had been flying from Germany to Newark.

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:56 pm

John's son is called Jet.
Jenny

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:00 pm

jennyshaw wrote:John's son is called Jet.
didn't Wings have a hit with a song called 'Jet'?

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:51 am

Colinm wrote:This mornings news is that John Travolta had to make an emergency landing at Shannon Airport (west coast of Ireland), due to engine failure on his Boing 707 - 138. It is an ex Quantas 707 with registration N707JT. So it has been re registered as an American plane (N), but it is still flying with Quantas Australia colours! (Is this a new tax shelter???)

He had been flying from Germany to Newark.
The aircraft's registration doesn't affect it's tax status, only items such as the CofA and pilot's licensing. The aircraft is painted in Qantas livery as part of some promotional work he did for them a few years ago and probably continues to this day.

The aircraft didn't suffer from 'engine failure' which is probably a journos fictionalisation to dress up an otherwise dull story a la Sun readers stylee.