Tied up palm trees

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tied up palm trees

Postby McT » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:31 am

What's the reason for tying up the leaves (branches?) of palm trees? I can understand that it's done for ease of transporting the trees, but why are they not untied once they're planted? Is it just that the planters forget, or that they reckon it's someone else's job?

There are newly planted palms all along the main road to the autovia from Rincón and they are still tied up (and turning brown) several weeks later.

McT

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:56 am

I asked the same question last year and was told that until the roots are 'set' they leave them tied up, this stops them blowing over. Once set they cut off all the dead chaff and the tree grows okay without any damage.

Doesn't mean it's true though as we were drunk at the time! :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:38 pm

It is done to keep the crown of the tree alive while the roots are reforming.

If the crown dies then the tree is dead - unlike other trees which can be pruned back to the trunk and will shoot again.

Unlike most other trees, palms do not have branches!

Sid

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:39 pm

So I was half right, damb gin I must have missed that bit when the gardener explained. :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:11 pm

Thank you both.

So when should we expect to see the new palms in their full glory?

McT

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Yes, McT, the road looks very "posh", doesn't it?

I noticed yesterday that the trees were starting to look a bit brown, and thought maybe it was lack of water, but we've had rain!

I thought they were tied up in the earlier part of the year because of the wind, but what El Cid says makes sense.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:58 pm

I was told it was a Spanish Macho thing, so they looked like erect willies. Was someone pulling my plonker? Being a young innocent lad it is just possible.

concreteman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby concreteman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:35 pm

Its a sexual thing - the Spanish women are not interested in being tied up so they (the Spanish men) tie the palms up instead and put them on public display to show their dominance of the palm. Interestingly, the palm, as in open hand is a sign of peace, of being unarmed. A closed palm on the other hand (pun) is a sign of anger as in a fist. A tied up Palm is a closed palm and by logical thought it is safe to assume that palms do not like being tied up and go brown as a result of their frustration - albeit not of a sexual nature. The Spanish men though (still unable to tie up their women folk) continue to tie up more and more palms as they exercise their male dominance. Logical really.
If the Egyptians had invented concrete the pyramids would be square...........

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:33 pm

I understand that the roots of most palm trees grow straight down, rather than horizontally and down. This makes them very vulnerable to high winds until well rooted, but also explains why it is possible to plant a palm tree very close to buildings as the roots tend not to creep under foundations.

dewbug
Tourist

Postby dewbug » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:51 pm

Concreteman! Love the logic, so that's where the spanish guys get their macho outlook from - palm domination.

Anyway, whether tied up or not, I bet they look better than the plastic palm trees some bright spark thought would look good in Brighton Marina!
Dewbug

concreteman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby concreteman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Airfix rees - a blast from the past - pass the glue mate?
If the Egyptians had invented concrete the pyramids would be square...........

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:03 pm

I like the replies so far - both sensible and tongue in cheek. However, having started the post in a risque direction, I am now wondering what has happened to dealer. I expected a very quick response from him.