Dog covered in Glue!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Heston
Resident

Dog covered in Glue!

Postby Heston » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Can anyone help !! my 10month old puppy somehow got her paws on a tube of silicone/glue whilst I was at work the other day. Not only has she ruined my older dogs bed but she has it on her neck and backside! I asked the vet for advice and she said it shouldnt be cut or shaved but to try and remove it off with a non toxic cleaner. I have tried the puppy shampoo and yesterday I bought a very expensive natural product from Aki called "pierre Verte" but at last she still has a gluey bottom! Any advice would be really really appreciated ( and what else i can use this expensive cleaning product on!!)
My husband has now removed everything of his ( ie work things) from the house so its back to eating my shoes I guess!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:40 pm

Pierre Verte - you can use it on sinks and microwaves and plastic garden furniture. It is pretty versatile but slightly abrasive from memory.

As for the dog, I would use a solvent and then immediately wash the poor critter very well afterwards.

olive

Heston
Resident

dog covered in glue

Postby Heston » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Olive cheers for that yes that stuff is like a solid version of ajax!!or Vim ( do u remeber it!!)
Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean a solvent ( chemical based? ) can you recomend one i can buy here in Spain...thanksxx

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:05 pm

what about nail varnish remover?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:06 pm

The ferreterias that sell the tubes of silicon etc also usually sell silicon solvent.
Sorry, but your original post did make me laugh, so thanks. Poor dog.

Heston
Resident

dog covered in glue

Postby Heston » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Hillybilly i did laugh myself dont worry what was worse that she never destroys things on her own bed but on my poor old boys bed!!
I have some Spanish nail varnish remover but it smells so strong even for me so bit reluctant to use it. Last time I ever get a puppy I will stick to maturer rescue dogs i think I have lost a stone since we got her as well as numberous household things..namely shoes!!!( maybe you seen a previous post of mine trying to find ladies size 8 shoes!!Shes the reason!) She is adorable though!!!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:34 pm

The vet is quite right about not shaving the poor creatures bum piece, the poor dog has feelings too you know. Also I would certainly check that no @rsehairs are stuck together across the expanse of its crevice or when it cocks a leg it will be agony :shock: a letter opener may be used to relieve this conundrum.

Hope everything works out well in the end and please keep us posted :wink:

Kenny

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:11 pm

Campo Kenny wrote: Also I would certainly check that no @rsehairs are stuck together across the expanse of its crevice or when it cocks a leg it will be agony :shock: a letter opener may be used to relieve this conundrum.

Kenny
:shock: how would you like your crack prised apart with a letter opener??..a pair of nail scissors might be more humane. :wink:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:17 pm

Not the nail scissors my Mrs. uses :shock: They're curved :!:
As for me I would not allow myself to get into this position. All bum beards are zapped with Mrs CK's Immac :wink:

Kenny

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:27 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:Not the nail scissors my Mrs. uses :shock: They're curved :!:
As for me I would not allow myself to get into this position. All bum beards are zapped with Mrs CK's Immac :wink:

Kenny
The puppy thought that the silicone glue was Immac. :shock: :shock:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:34 pm

I've actually found weedol to be superior but you have to lay off the mountain biking for a week or two :shock:

Kenny

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:12 pm

I find that if you shave, wax or depilate, the hair just grows back thicker the next time. I have stopped all that and now just plait into pigtails and fasten them to my ankles with flesh coloured ribbon so that I can still wear my shorts.

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby k » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:50 pm

Ahhh, silly doggy

You cpuld try these sites for cleaning tips

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/glue

http://www.diynot.com/pages/st/

failing that try baking soda, it seems to do everything but build a house !

http://www.bakingsodabook.co.uk/baking_ ... tips.shtml

[/url]

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:31 am

Have you tried using alcol 96º available in supermarkets.. ..less harmful than aguarras or petrol...at the most it would make him drunk
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:45 am

This seems one civilised dog if you think about it. We knowit got the stuff on its paws...but how did it get it all over its @rse? Obviously wiping it after a crap. If it had used an Andrex puppy instead of paper - it would have saved itsself all this bother. :wink:

Heston
Resident

Dog covered in Glue!

Postby Heston » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 am

All your replies have made me chuckle!!!However let me clarify..its on her left cheek not across any delicate parts!!!It appears she ate through the plastic bottle it went everywhere over my other dogs bed then she lay in it hence down her neck and across her bottom then promptly moved on to her own bed as if to apportion blame on my other dog! I could right a book on some of the things she has done int he past eight months she certainly keeps me on my toes!

K thanks for the links defo going to have a go and will let you all know!

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:15 pm

Heston, if you use any type of solvent or spirit on the dog, it’s important to get some kind of oil back in to the skin ASAP.
Something like ‘aftersun’ is mild and could do the trick.

Good luck & woof woof to the pooch.
gretch

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:06 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:Not the nail scissors my Mrs. uses :shock: They're curved :!:

Kenny
ooooooooo!!! too much information :cry: :? :? :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:51 pm

Heston, I found an idea on the Internet which migh help. It was suggested that talcum powder rubber onto the sealant makes it easier to remove.

You said it was silicone/glue - do you mean the stuff you put round sinks to seal them? If so, when cured off, it is pretty difficult to remove with ordinary solvents. There are special silicone removers but they are probably very dangerous to use on an animal.

If you must use a solvent use Alcohol de Limpieza y de Quemar which is not too nasty and washes off with water but I doubt that it will work on cured silicone.

Sid

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:04 pm

After taking Kenny's advice and using both nail scissors and Immac I have it on good authority that the problem is now sorted and you can hardly tell that the puppy had glue on him at all.....