is anyone using....

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

is anyone using....

Postby claire4james » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:22 pm

www.jajah.com ???

I have been using skype for a few years now to make overseas calls (either free if the other party also has skype) or very low rates if not....

Anyway, i have recently been introduced to this jajah..now you dont need any hardware (like a handset etc) and all you need to do to register is give your name and email address and phone number (landline).

You can then call other "registered users" for free....Now heres the difference from skype....it uses your landline handset/phone to call the other parties landline handset/phone...

I find this very useful a) because certain people we call on skype only have fixed handsets so have to be at their computer to talk and b) because i can now call all friends and family (even those without a computer, although you do need a pc to make a call) for free...Now for those you wish to call without pc's you'll need to register for them (ie get them an email address, thats all and then register them from your PC) and you can call them for free!

if your using it, how do you find it? Are there any catches? any downsides ?

I think i will use this and skype side by side for a few months before making any decisions..
from La Cala with love...........

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Is anyone using?

Postby Floriana » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:42 pm

Hi

Just checked it out, looks interesting but only any use for landlines I think?

I use 18185 from UK to call Spain - landline calls are 1p per minute (cheaper than Jaja) and 11p per minute to mobiles. You just dial 18185 then the full number. It gets billed at the end of the month, they send an email and take the money from a credit card (details previously supplied when you set up account) Ive been using them satisfactorily for over a year now. And you don't need a computer.....

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:04 pm

When using Skype Out the receiving party does not need a computer. The call is received on a landline.

You still need a computer to initiate a call with Jajah. I can't see the advantage over Skype or Skype Out and it costs more.

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:58 am

Voipcheap.com - free calls with same telephone facility

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:26 am

Beachcomber wrote:When using Skype Out the receiving party does not need a computer. The call is received on a landline.

You still need a computer to initiate a call with Jajah. I can't see the advantage over Skype or Skype Out and it costs more.
the advantage is that i can call my nan who doesn't have a pc for free, whereas on skype it costs me 1.2p per minute.....I can also call my mum for free without her having to be sat in her study on her pc.

my neighbour regularly calls her daughter in oz, uses cheap calls but still adds up. with this she can call her landline for free....

It will be used by me solely to call landlines of people who either dont have a pc or who dont have a cordless internet phone....
from La Cala with love...........

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:48 am

Yes, my apologies, I can now see what you mean.

I saw the list of prices in the panel on the left hand side but missed the bit about being free to calls other Jajah registered users.

I shall try it as per your recommendation. Image