Terrorists

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
jennyshaw
Resident

Terrorists

Postby jennyshaw » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:30 pm

This may sound a bit thick, and i know most you you that live in Spain have Sky etc.................
But exactly how much info on terrorists do you get when something happens in the UK, for instance the failed bombings in London and the vehicle that was rammed and exploded in to the Glasgow Airport Terminal that happened this weekend.
I ask this because if some terrorist attacks happen in Spain we only get the basics here in the UK, do you get terrorist attacks often in Spain? as much as we do in the UK?

When we are in Spain I sometimes feel that anything could be happening in the UK and we would not know because we don't have Sky over there and never see any news.
Jenny

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:06 pm

the failed bombings in London
reported on all Spanish TV news...and papers...you would also get that news in local English papers here in Spain.
do you get terrorist attacks often in Spain? as much as we do in the UK?
may be not quite as much...but we do get them...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:52 pm

We have Sky News which is usually updated frequently. We also have BBC & ITN as well as various others UK Channels. Generally we do not have the same degree of terrorist activity in Spain although ETA are getting stroppier recently. Maybe now that Blair has gone, and a scaling down of UK forces in the Middle East could be on the cards, things in the UK will improve. It is about time the UN took the lead role instead of sitting on their collective PC a***s and ensured a true multi nationality peacekeeping force operated in Iraq, Afghanistang, Lebanon etc.

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:17 am

Its just that when we are in Spain all we have is Spanish television and we don't seem to see any world news, when we come back to the UK our friends usually update us if anything as happened.
But in the UK we see all the news from other countries if anything like terrorist attacks have happened there.
Jenny

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:37 am

In general I find that the Spanish tv news covers world events on a wider footing than the UK BBC does - they have had reports of the terrorist attempts amongst other world and Spanish national news. If you watch CanalSur, it is like watching ITV Yorkshire for example, with news of a cat show in Steeton being ahead of a bomb in Buckingham Palace, so best watch Antena3. or TVE1.
(The Yorkshire Post was renowned for this sort of parochial reporting - they would almost headline the Twin Towers 9/11 tragedy as "1300 die, man from Sheffield cuts finger on remote control watching CNN").
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Terrorists

Postby gavilan » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:23 am

What about internet access? I dont have a tv here ...so get all the news I want (and dont want) from any number of web sites eg Guardian, New York Times, AP etc etc etc

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:59 pm

we don't seem to see any world news
Spanish TV certainly has world news on every channel..check news times.. around 3pm and 9pm.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:13 pm

We often watch the international news on Spanish TV, get the gist of it or at least hope we do :? Then watch BBC news later to see if we were right and have to say the Spanish news does seem more in depth and often a lot more graphic :shock: I guess it's just catching it at the right time of day.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Following up on internet access, I get all the BBC & ITN news, as well as SKY, CNN, plus various Spanish & Scandinavian channels on TV. You can also get free Times and Independent news on your internet system. Mind you, watching all the bad news of five or six channels send you into a depression so deep that only copious amounts of cerveza or brandy can cure.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:31 pm

As this saga unfolds with more and more revelations, I worry for the good folk of the UK - if all these doctors cannot make a half-decent terrorist device, how good are they at tricky stuff like diagnosing illness and doing operations?!

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:47 pm

peteroldracer wrote:As this saga unfolds with more and more revelations, I worry for the good folk of the UK - if all these doctors cannot make a half-decent terrorist device, how good are they at tricky stuff like diagnosing illness and doing operations?!
Well, it must be said, our own Dr Shipman was far more effective than these bloody foreign doctors

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:39 am

citymike wrote: .........bloody foreign doctors
Maybe you should not generalise :!: and perhaps you would change your xenophobic opinion if one of the above mentioned doctors saved your life :twisted:
This is an international forum and a racist remark as yours is out of line.
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:56 am

Laclotte
If you revisit citymikes posting I think you will find that he is being ironic by making the comparison with Shipman who is probably the UK's worst serial killer.
It is also not helpful to brand everyone bigots or racist who points out that most terrorist attacks in recent years have been carried out by moslems in the name of Islam.
It is a fact and none of the posters so far have stated that ALL moslems are murdering terrorists.
To blindfold ourselves with the scarf of political correctness will not improve the sitiuation and by fighting amongst ourselves we are offering succour to the murderers who kill more of their own than they do anything else.
Before the peace lobby jumps in, more moslems are killed by moslems than by the full might of the Coalition Forces.

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:58 am

I didn't call him a racist at all.....I merely mentioned that I found it a racist remark :!: We must all remember that this is an international forum with readers and members from all parts of the globe and from many different ethnic backgrounds. Sometimes I get the idea, because I am not English, that I am 'trespassing' on this forum. :oops:

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:06 am

I don't think anyone has ever tried to give that impression laclotte, unless I am naive. However, international forum or not the facts are there and we should not be afraid to discuss them openly.
Citymike certainly did not make a racist remark. He was actually (I believe) being supportive of foreign doctors by comparing them favourably though in an ironic way with a 'Good Old British' mass murdering doctor.
If the terrorists who are causing the most death and destruction happen to be moslems, why is it racist or bigotted to say so.
If we were to say that ALL moslems are murdering terrorists then that is a different matter and would be condemned by the vast majority of people of all creeds.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:11 am

An interesting point la clot - is any remark that mentions race a "racist remark"? The main reason that the UK has such an enormous problem with immigration is that too many stupid people have held up their hands in horror, saying "You can't say that!". It has stopped intelligent people of all races and backgrounds from being able to express an opinion, and is an insidious form of censorship.
If I can give you one example from real life: I worked for a while in what is now HMRC - Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs. One day a visitor to 'our' floor asked a colleague where they could find a certain man. I knew this man well - chatted frequently with him in the smoke room - and he was a charming and helpful sort of bloke. "Linda" thought for a while, then told the enquirer to go to the other end of that open-plan floor, take the third aisle on the left, and he could be found sitting there. Asked for more details, she squirmed a bit then said he would be sat in the middle seat, between two other men.
At this point I could stand it no longer, and told our visitor that he was easy to find as he would be the only black man on that floor. "Linda" shrieked in shock and said "You.........."! (Fill in the blanks yourself!).
That is how bad it had got three years ago, and I fear it will not have improved.

GTWD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby GTWD » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:27 am

unfortunately there is no common sense in the way the so called laws are to be used\understood in every day language yours was a prime example

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:59 am

:oops: :oops: Spanish
Perhaps I miss read the posting from citymike.
My apologies to citymike as I did not pick up the full point.

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:33 pm

I was a little surprised at the way you took it laclotte and that is why I appeared to labour the point.
It does show how afraid we are becoming of speaking our mind in debate.
This of course is not due entirely to the pressures of political correctness but also to the true racists and bigots amongst us who have tarnished reasoned argument.