What do you do when......

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
joan
Tourist

What do you do when......

Postby joan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:57 pm

You have let out your property (short -term holiday lets) - the property is as advertsied...renters are happy ...THEN 'earth moving' lorries, tractors etc move in unexpectedly to clear the surrounding brush/rambla land???
There has been disturbance with noise and dust associated with any such work.

We believe (hope!!??!!) the work is short - term and the workers and machinery disappear as quickly as they arrived.

We do not know how long the workers and machinery are going to be there - we have given big rebates to the renters affected - are we being fair or just soft???

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:06 pm

Sounds like the builders have just moved in. Be prepared for a lot of noise. Maybe you should make some more enquiries and if they are building contact your renters BEFORE they get there. Hope you are not reliant on the income. :?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:15 pm

My apartment backs onto a municipal site that was under construction for nearly four years. I told prospective renters right from the beginning that there was building work in progress nearby but that it was not connected with the complex on which the apartment was situated.

No-one cancelled their booking and I received no complaints despite specifically asking if the building work had disturbed them.

This municipal facility is now open and has proved to be a great asset in letting the apartment.

joan
Tourist

Postby joan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

The villa was fully booked months ago.

The rambla is being cleared for a 'proposed' golf course. No building work - just earth-clearing.
The mercenery part of me wants to shout from the roof tops ' it's not my fault' .....BUT if it spoils the renters holiday I feel responsible!!!!

Would be much wealthier if I didn't have a conscience I think!

If I let out a place next to a night-club or main road I would feel honour - bound to make folks aware - but what about the unexpected?..am I liable??

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:14 am

A golf course, that doesn't seem to bad then Joan. Well I would just contact the renters with a polite, informative letter explaining that since they booked the villa work has commenced on a golf course near by. I wouldn't offer a refund at this point. See if they kick off. If they do offer a small refund and if they don't like it let them find somewhere else. Afterall it's not your fault and completely out of your hands. A golf course will be an asset when letting your apartment in the future like Beachcomber has said.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 am

Yes, I agree. Far better to let them know now than to just let them turn up and think they are walking into a building site.

I actually make my renters sign a fairly comprehensive list of terms and conditions when they book which also covers eventualities like this.

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:10 pm

joan wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

The villa was fully booked months ago.

The rambla is being cleared for a 'proposed' golf course. No building work - just earth-clearing.
The mercenery part of me wants to shout from the roof tops ' it's not my fault' .....BUT if it spoils the renters holiday I feel responsible!!!!

Would be much wealthier if I didn't have a conscience I think!

I DOUBT IT...FALSE ECONOMY METHINKS...... People have come away to your place, had some hardship (although not really much) and you have said, really sorry not my fault but heres some money back.......Now that client thinks you care. customer service has been excellent....they will a) tell all thier friends and b) most probably come back to you if they require the same again......

Had you not been so good on the customer service, people would a) have told all thier friends and b) most probably NOT come back to you!!!!! I also think in an environment where the customer service is "generally" rubbish your token gestures by way of refunds will go a long way!

If I let out a place next to a night-club or main road I would feel honour - bound to make folks aware - but what about the unexpected?..am I liable??