New Year in Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
cool breeze
Tourist

New Year in Spain

Postby cool breeze » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:44 am

I am planning to drive to Spain just after Christmas with the cat, who now has her passport. Due to the postal strike here she missed driving down with the OT as her results weren't back in time.

However, the question - when is it the best time for New Year celebrations in Spain? The 31st Dec/1st Jan or the 5/6th Jan celebrations?

Is the January one the grander occasion? I need to book my ferry crossing, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:24 pm

we have always found our new years eve to be a bit flat when in spain. The 3 kings is alot better. Jan 6th

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Year in Spain

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:27 pm

cool breeze wrote:she missed driving down with the OT
Is that the "Old Tom", or dare I say it, the "Old Trout"? :lol:
In answer to your question, IMHO Los Tres Reyes is much better.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:33 pm

It depends what you do. If you stay at home, just you and the cat, there will not be a lot of difference.

If you book a place at a restaurant I would guess that the New Years Eve celebration could be a bit livlier, and tend to go on a bit longer. Three Kings appears to be more of a family night out for dinner.

If you are invited to a party, then again either would be good.

For Three Kings most areas have street parades of some sort which are fun.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:54 pm

costakid wrote:we have always found our new years eve to be a bit flat when in spain. The 3 kings is alot better. Jan 6th
It's the evening of the 5th Jan through to the 6th.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:05 pm

I have, in the past, spent a several New Years Eve celebrations on the Pride of Bilbao whilst travelling back to Spain from the UK.

They were great nights and, in my opinion, far preferable to anything I have experienced in either country with the added advantage of only having to walk (or stagger) along the corridor to get to bed.

However, I am talking about fifteen or so years ago so things may have changed since then.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:16 pm

I have never forgotten - or indeed forgiven - the "customer care and service" shown by Virgin Atlantic one New Year's Eve a few years back. We were returning from Barbados, and were pleased but not surprised when the captain of the jumbo announced before take-off that drinks would be served in time for all to toast the New Year, which would begin as we were over the Atlantic. The little mincing boys did come round with a few plastic cups of fizz, not enough for all, then every one of the trollie dollies and dillies vanished up to the first-class attic, leaving all us peasants below in cattle to listen to their merriment and the piped sounds of Big Ben, dry as bones! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

spanbox
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby spanbox » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:41 am

Coin is the place to be for New Years Eve. Its the biggest fancy dress party you will ever attend. Folks come from miles around, the streets and the squares are packed shoulder to shoulder. Its not for the faint hearted as the party never seems to end until way past dawn. Make sure you come in Fancy dress as it adds to the fun. :lol: